20 Questions with Chris Benoit
The Crippler just a family guy
By The Edmonton Sun
Cartoon by Fred Curatolo, Edmonton Sun
One doesn't expect the Canadian Crippler to nestle down amidst
suburbia's white picket fences.
But then the hulking steeled frame, also known as Chris
Benoit, who lives with his wife and three kids in Sherwood Park, is full
The World Wrestling Federation's Intercontinental champion
will flex his five-foot-10, 220-pound body in a faceoff with other WWF
beasts at the Skyreach Centre at 5 p.m. today, his first appearance in
our city since his Stampede Wrestling days.
It's a bonus to fight in your backyard, especially when a demanding
schedule means the 32-year-old devoted dad only makes it home about once a
The Montreal-born Benoit, who moved to Edmonton when he was 12 years old,
is happiest hanging with his family.
And no, body-tight spandex is not his preferred clothing. When it comes to
digging in the closet to pull out his favourite wardrobe item, Benoit comes
out sporting a pair of sweat pants.
Despite the obnoxious behaviour of some in the ring, Benoit gets frustrated
by rude people. Of course, who would dare to be anything but pleasant with
someone whose neck is bigger than your waist?
Read on for a look at the man who is a superstar when it comes to the ring
and family man when he enters the 'burbs.
1. What was the last movie you saw that you loved?
2.What was the first album you owned?
AC/DC Back in Black
3. What was the last book you read?
Deepak Chopra, The Ageless Timeless Body
4. What's your favourite hangout?
5. Do you have a pet peeve?
6. What's your idea of the perfect Sunday?
Relaxing at home with my kids.
7. What's your favourite junk food?
I don't eat junk food. Maybe ice cream once a month.
8. What are your vacation plans this year?
No plans. A lot of my holidays are work-related. When I was in Anaheim for
Wrestlemania, I toured around.
9. What gadget or gizmo can you not live without?
My cellphone just because of my lifestyle.
10.Do you have a hobby or habit that you think would surprise people?
11. What's your favourite piece of clothing?
12. What would you change about yourself if you could?
Nothing. I'm very happy with who I am.
13. Whom do you most admire?
A lot of people - Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks. People who made positive
change, I get a lot of inspiration from their stories.
14. What is your greatest extravagance?
I'm not an extravagant person. I'm quite a laid-back type person.
15. Have you ever been mistaken for another celebrity?
16. Do you have a favourite quotation?
I collect books of quotations. If I'm feeling down and not able to motivate
myself, I refer to it. I have quite a number of favourites.
17.What is your greatest weakness?
Myself. But I'm also my greatest source of strength.
18. If you are reincarnated who or what will you be?
I've never thought about that.
19. If you had to go back in time to live in another decade, which one
would you choose?
20. If you could tag-team with anybody from any walk of life, who would it
Dynamite Kid (retired WWF superstar).