Happy birthday and well wishes to the legendary Verne Gagne, who turns 90 today. Also celebrating are: former ECW/TNA manager James "Sinister Minister" Mitchell (50); and female Japanese star Kaori Honeyama (34).
On this date in 2012, football player turned wrestler Don Joyce passed away at the age of 85.
Chris Jericho sounds off to the AVClub on why he hates the song "Cotton-Eyed Joe" by the band Rednex. Read it here. A hilarious read, in which he gets in references to the TV show The Walking Dead, Nazi warlord Joseph Goebbels, and the Dudley Boyz, and comments on some "infamass" WWE theme music.
Wednesday, February 25, 2015
Smackdown was taped Tuesday night in Atlanta, and here's what to expect tonight in Canada and Thursday in the U.S.: Daniel Bryan delivers a promo; Dean Ambrose vs The Miz; Natalya (with Tyson Kidd and Cesaro) vs Naomi (along with The Usos); Rusev and Lana with a promo; Daniel Bryan vs Bad News Barrett; Fandango vs Curtis Axel; Adam Rose vs Goldust; Seth Rollins, Big Show and Kane vs Dolph Ziggler, Ryback and Erick Rowan.
Ring of Honor announced that Samoa Joe, its longest-reigning champion in history, will be appearing on some upcoming shows -- Saturday March 7, Baltimore, Maryland; Friday March 13, 2015 Milwaukee, WI; Saturday March 14, 2015 Chicago Ridge, IL; Friday March 27, 2015 Redwood City, CA.
It was announced that there will be another Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royal at WrestleMania 31. Cesaro won last year's, of course, memorably lifting The Big Show over the top rope.
Tuesday, February 24, 2015
ESPN is airing a "30 for 30" piece this Friday at 6 p.m. EST on the Von Erich family. Kevin Von Erich was interviewed for it, and Bill Apter. We don't have word on who else is in it.
Japanese sensation, the current IWGP Intercontinental Champion Shinsuke Nakamura turns 35 today, while WWE NXT commentator Corey Graves turns 31.
Monday, February 23, 2015
The Bushwackers were announced for the 2015 WWE Hall of Fame today; of course, we prefer to think of them as the Sheepherders.
It's the WWE Network’s first birthday, and WWE.com is allowing a sample of it with a 24-hour “Best Of” programming marathon streamed for free on the website and through the WWE App with no WWE account or credit card required -- immediately following tonight’s Monday Night Raw. Other birthdays today are Bobby Dempsey and Ron Niemi.
MIGHTY MINI's is trying to raise funds to buy a used motorhome to bring its Anti-Bullying message to Canadian schools and youth groups. You can see the Kickstarter page here.
For fans in the Greater Toronto, Ontario area, plenty of independent shows to check out this weekend in the area, or within a relatively short drive:
- XICW presents Winterslam at Clay Township Park in Clay Township, Michigan. Rhino was announced (there's nothing on the site's Facebook page that suggests that his recent WWE NXT appearance has changed things).
- Superkick'd Pro Wrestling returns to The Great Hall at 1087 Queen St. West in Toronto. British star GRADO takes on local favourite, the beautiful Seleziya Sparks. Also appearing are: Chikara's Amasis, ROH star Ashley Syxx, former TNA Knockout Taeler Hendrix, and the All Black Everything faction.
- Alpha-1 presents a double-shot on Sunday at 222 Queenston Road in Hamilton, Ontario. At 1:30pm, it presents Beta-Pro II, featuring Will White vs. Kingdom James, and the Monster Mafia among others. At 4pm, it's Alpha-1 Watch the Throne, featuring a 5-man ladder match, GRADO, and an intergender 6-way match.
- On Sunday, Battle Arts Wrestling runs at the Don Kolov Arena (in the Battle Arts Centre at 4880 Tomken Road in Mississauga), with Yuki Ishikawa against JP Morgado, the British Brawler vs Hornet, and George Terzis in action as well.
And on Sunday, VCW presents its 3rd Annual Ironman Rumble at LULA Lounge 1585 Dundas St. Toronto.
The most recent version of Botchamania features highlights from Toronto's Smash Wrestling promotion, when a match between The Overdogs and The Goat Brigade was hijacked by apparently the world's strongest table. The clip starts at the 10:32 mark - check it out.
- Today's birthdays: Mexican legend Dos Caras turns 64; former WWE superstar Carlito (Carlos Colon Jr.) turns 36; George Murdoch (Brodus Clay in WWE, now Tyrus in TNA) turns 42; TNA's Crimson turns 30; and British wrestler Joel Redman turns 28. And it's Wes Brisco's birthday too.
WWE sent out this press release regarding claims that CM Punk recently made: WWE Addresses CM Punk’s Allegations
In light of CM Punk’s allegations regarding WWE’s medical staff and the subsequent defamation lawsuit filed by Dr. Amann against CM Punk, WWE continues to have the utmost confidence in the ability and expertise of our world-class team of physicians, including Dr. Amann.
CM Punk claimed this past November that during the Royal Rumble pay-per-view event on January 26, 2014 he performed with a baseball-sized, purple lump on his back located near the waistband of his tights.
WWE’s investigation has shown the following:
· CM Punk did not discuss this alleged condition with WWE’s team of physicians and trainers, nor did he discuss it with anyone in our Talent Relations department.
· Subsequently, WWE has no medical records documenting this alleged condition.
· The first time WWE was made aware of this alleged condition was when we received a letter from CM Punk’s attorney on August 22, 2014 after WWE terminated his contract.
· There is clear video evidence from the 2014 Royal Rumble, which allows all to decide whether there is any appearance of a baseball-sized growth on CM Punk’s back.
Click here to view the video. You decide.
Friday, February 20, 2015
Ring of Honor announced Jushin “Thunder” Liger will be returning for its Supercard of Honor show WrestleMania weekend, on Friday March 27, 2015 at the Sports House in Redwood City, CA.
Busted Knuckle Pro Wrestling has a show on Saturday, Feb. 21, at 6101 North St. Niagara Falls, Ontario. Doors open at 6:30pm Bell is at 7pm. The show is BKPW's annual fundraiser called "Rumble for Rose 4". Proceeds from the silent auction and 50/50 draw will be going to Project Share, the food bank in Niagara Falls. The card features Justin Sane, Marc Haus, Lionel Knight and Scotty O'Shea.
Cassandra Frazier, the widow of Mabel/Viscera/Big Daddy V, has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against WWE in Shelby County Circuit Court in Memphis. Her suit alleges that Nelson Frazier Jr, died due to the effects of punishment he endured while wrestling, including concussions and brain trauma.
Happy birthday to Canadian Knockout Gail Kim, who turns 38. Also celebrating are the legendary Antonio Inoki (72); Japanese star Gedo (46); and Mexican female wrestler Esther Moreno (46).
Jon Stewart responded to Seth Rollins and his belief that the Money in the Bank winner should take over The Daily Show. See the response at tmz.com.
To celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Canadian flag, the Prime Minister’s Office commissioned 50 Canadian flags to be awarded to individuals across Canada who best embody Canadian values. Lisa Raitt, MP for Halton region in southern Ontario, nominated Tiger Jeet Singh to receive one of these flags. Lisa being accompanied by Mayor Gord Krantz presented this commemorative flag to Tiger Jeet Singh along with his son Tiger Jr. on behalf of Prime Minister Harper at Tiger Jeet Singh Public School on Sunday February 15th. Here's a video of the ceremony:
Ring of Honor Wrestling announced that its 13th Anniversary event, on Sunday March 1st, 2015 from the Orleans Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, will be available online exclusively at www.ROHWrestling.com directly after the live Pay-Per-View ends. The main event is a High Stakes 4 Corner Survival ROH World Championship Match with Jay Briscoe (c) vs "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin vs "Sicilian Psychopath" Tommaso Ciampa vs "War Beard" Hanson
Congratulations to Canadian indy star "Textbook" Tyson Dux on his engagement over the weekend.
Toronto's Cherry Bomb and her man Pepper Parks were part of this past week's TNA tapings.
Today is the birthday of a few ECW Originals: Tommy Cairo turns 57; the lovely Francine Fournier turns 43; and Danny Doring turns 41. Also celebrating are Canada’s own Shawn Speers (Tye Dillinger in WWE NXT) who turns 34.
On this date in 1968, wrestling pioneer George Hackenschmidt, who was the first free-style heavyweight champion of the world, passed away. In 1992, Tojo Yamamoto committed suicide.
John Cena appeared on NBC’s Parks & Recreation earlier this week.
SLAM! Wrestling Producer Greg Oliver was on Breakfast Television Toronto on Tuesday morning, along with his son Quinn (who has also written stories here for SLAM! Wrestling), talking about their kids' book Duck With the Puck. Check it out here.
Wednesday, February 18, 2015
Happy birthday to: Canadian legend Raymond Rougeau (61); Mexican star turned jailbird Charly Manson (41); and indy star TJ Mack (30).
Today is a sad anniversary of the passing of many of the sport’s legends: Carl Abs, considered to be the founding father of German professional wrestling – and no relation to Mean Street Posse member Joey Abs - in 1895; Female legend Mildred Burke in 1989; Kerry Von Erich in 1993; “Hot Stuff” Eddie Gilbert in 1995; and Nelson (“Viscera” / “Big Daddy V”) Frazier Jr. in 2014.
WWE Smackdown was taped last night in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. Here's what you'll see Wednesday in Canada and Thursday in the U.S.: Daniel Bryan vs The Miz; Kane vs Ryback; R-Truth vs Bad News Barrett; The Ascension vs The New Day; Luke Harper vs Roman Reigns; The Big Show vs Eric Rowan; Paige vs Cameron; Jimmy Uso vs Tyson Kidd; Seth Rollins vs Dolph Ziggler.
Samoa Joe quit TNA. On his Twitter feed, he wrote: "I have decided to part ways with @ImpactWrestling. My very best to them moving forward, and my eternal thanks to the fans"
An update from Ann Casey: "I am at home, resting in my quite, warm cabin, getting strong for my next heart surgery, any day now. My heart grows strong, because it feels all the prayers, and blessings from my friends.! Love and nite ya'll ...Ann"
Eddie Edwards of TNA broke the heel on his foot on Sunday at the taping and is expected to be out of action for a few months.
Tuesday, February 17, 2015
Vince McMahon is on the cover of the March 2015 edition of Muscle & Fitness.
The former promoter of Toronto-based UWA Hardcore Wrestling has announced a new, upcoming project called Wrestling Abbadon. The website, abbadon.ca, is advertising the debut show for April 19 in Toronto, with an announced match of Joker vs. Danny Havoc.
Today's birthdays: retired Japanese star Shunji Kosugi (55); former Crockett / WCW star Chris Champion, aka Yoshi Kwan (54); ROH / indy star Jimmy Jacobs (31); and former WWE personality Ricardo Rodriguez (27).
On this date in 2007, former ECW World Champion Mike Awesome passed away.
Sunday, February 15, 2015
Ann Casey is on the mend. From her Facebook page: "Anne is doing much better. Still in ICU, but getting a lot stronger. Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers"
Birthdays today -- best wishes to Lufisto, woman wrestler extraordinaire; to Rich Swann, who can dance and wrestle; and to Wilma Beyer, who isn't a wrestler, but who is married to the Intelligent, Sensational Destroyer Dick Beyer, which can't be an easy job!
Saturday, February 14, 2015
Last night in Sendai, Japan, Hiroyoshi Tenzan defeated Rob Conway for the NWA World championship during a New Japan card. Conway's manager (and occasional SLAM! Wrestling columnist) Bruce Tharpe posted this to Facebook after the bout: "After spending most of the night in a Japanese hospital (new experience for me) the news is that I don't have a 'completely' broken nose as the doctor tried to explain to me but a possible hairline fracture. The headbutt I received from TENZAN broke my glasses and lacerated the bridge of my nose. After getting stitches I am now back at the hotel. I still can't believe we were defeated for the NWA World Title. But rest assured that I will not rest until the 'Ten Pounds of Gold' is back in the USA and TENZAN pays for hurting me."
The Quebec Hall of Fame announced its 2015 inductees: The Baillargeon brothers, all six of them, former referee Adrien Desbois, Billy Robinson and the Road Warriors were all voted in the Quebec Hall of Fame. The Baillargeons are probably the most famous brothers to do both strongmen competition and wrestling. Desbois mainly refereed in the 80s and tragically died, in a terrible car accident on Christmas Eve 1985 with Tarzan Tyler and Pierre Lefebvre. Robinson won the International twice during the early 80s and the Road Warriors were one of the most popular acts during the heyday of International Wrestling. Kevin Steen and LuFisto were respectively voted 2014 male and female wrestler of the year, CZW's Mike Bailey, who will make his PWG debut on February 27, won the Edouard-Carpentier award for best high flyer and Quebec City's NSPW, that brought guys like Tommy Dreamer, Rhino, Brian Cage, Joey Ryan and that are averaging 500 fans every month, was voted promotion of the year. The website also gives a lot of information on the history of pro wrestling in the province and more will be added this year. A new feature is the language bar on the top left end, since some of the content is in French. www.quebecwrestling.ca
Friday, February 13, 2015
Best wishes to women's wrestling great Ann Casey, who is hospitalized after a major heart attack.
Happy birthday to "King Kong" Angelo Mosca, Baby Doll Nickla Roberts and Asylum of the Flatliners.
Thursday, February 12, 2015
WWE announced that its watered-down version of WWE Network is expanding its range in Canada. From its announcement: "An expanded partnership with Rogers in Canada providing even more Canadian fans with access to WWE Network and premium WWE programming. In addition to Rogers and Eastlink, the premium linear TV channel will now also be available to Cogeco Cable Canada, Shaw and Shaw Direct, TELUS Optik TV and TELUS Satellite TV, and Videotron subscribers." Contact your local provider.
WWE also announced that it had signed a five-year deal with OSN, the leading pay-TV network in the Middle East and North Africa, to distribute WWE Network.
Emerson Murray's book, Bruiser Brody, was just released as a Kindle version. Check it out here.
Wednesday, February 11, 2015
Former WWE / MMA star Ken Shamrock turns 51 today, while former TNA star Hernandez turns 42.
On this date in 2006, the legendary British star Jackie "Mr TV" Pallo passed away after a bout with cancer.
After being off TV since November, Randy Orton returned to the ring on Saturday night at a house show in Salt Lake City, Utah. He'd been away filming Condemned 2: Desert Prey.
Happy birthday to Ontario woman wrestler Xandra Bale and to Mike Mooneyham, one of the world's top wrestling journalists. Lisa Marie Varon (formerly WWE’s Victoria and TNA’s Tara) is turning 44 and Japanese star Taiji Ishimori is 32.
- Today would have been the 60th birthday of World Class Championship Wrestling’s “Gentleman” Chris Adams and the 44th birthday of ECW original Louie Spicolli.
On this date in 1984, the “Yellow Rose of Texas” David Von Erich passed away. In 2003, the bell tolled for “Mr. Perfect” Curt Hennig one last time.
Results from Saturday night's Smash Wrestling show in Missisauga, Ontario, courtesy Bob Kapur:
1) Preston Myles beat "Big Scare" Dan O'Haire.
2) Brent Banks won a 3-way match over Pepper Parks and Benjamin Boone.
3) Vega beat "Hacker" Scotty O'Shea
4) Courtney Rush beat Cherry Bomb and Vanessa Kraven in a 3-way.
5) The Overdogs (Sebastian Suave and John Greed) took advantage of miscommunication between new partners Takakaki Watanabe and Sycho Mike Rollins, and hit the Top Shelf Bottle Breaker Combo to get the pin.
6) The Super Smash Brothers beat Team Checkmate in the match of the night. Afterwards, the Goat Brigade (Warmack and Sabre) came out and attacked SSB. This one is worth getting the DVD for.
7) Drew Gulak picked up a rare sunset-flip pinfall victory, shocking Tyson Dux. After the match, Alex Vega came out and he and Gulak pummeled Dux.
8) Josh Alexander beat Sanada in a very good match.
Overall, a very strong show, that really played to the company's loyal fan base, who braved the nasty weather to check it out. The next show takes place on March 15 in Etobicoke, ON. Chris Hero has been announced. Expected matches include a Ladies Chairs match.
Results from Sunday night's Destiny Wrestling show in Mississauga, Ontario, courtesy Bob Kapur:
1) Hornet rolled up the arrogant Phil Atlas who was jawing with the crowd to get a surprise pin.
2) Mighty Mini's attraction match: Kid Canuck vs Pepper Jack. Kid Canuck got screwed when he hit Jack with a driver on a chair that Jack had brought into the ring to use on him, and the ref disqualified Canuck. This was a fun one and a great debut match for the Kid.
3) Despite the mind games of the evil manager Mysterion, "The Adventurer" Stone Rockwell was able to out-think his opponent Jaxon Jarvis to get the win.
4) British Brawler vs Will White. White's dark persona Bill Black emerged to take out the Brawler.
5) Pepper Parks & Cherry Bomb dispatched of Jennifer Blake and hit her partner Tyler Tirva with a Cherry-Breaker combo to get the pin.
6) RJ City lost to Randy Reign by DQ when Cody Deaner came to the ring and shockingly turned on Reign, hitting him with a low blow. After the match, Deaner and RJ punished Reign with a chair.
7) Cody Deaner pinned Rhino thanks to the outside interference of RJ City in a 3-way match that also featured Sycho Mike Rollins. During this one, Rhino got whipped into the corner hard enough that the middle turnbuckle arm snapped and the middle rope fell down. Rhino hit the GORE! on Deaner, but the ref had been knocked out earlier so couldn't see the pinfall, or RJ City come down to the ring and waffle Rhino with a chair, leaving him out for the count.
A very good second show for the company that's found a winning formula in terms of putting on solid, fun, family-friendly events. The next show takes place Sunday, March 22 in Mississauga. "Big Sexy" Kevin Nash has been announced.
Steve Cvjetkovich, the former head trainer at Toronto's Squared Circle Training and who occasionally wrestles on the indy circuit as Kobra Kai, appeared on CBC's Next Gen Den, an online spinoff of Dragon's Den, the show in which entrepreneurs pitch ideas to get funding from some of Canada's best businesspeople. Cvjetkovich and his partner sought an investment in their business "gbot", an online grocery money-saving app. Check out the clip (starts at the 6:50 mark) here.
For the fifth straight year, Gerald Brisco and Jim Ross host a talent evaluation during the George Tragos/Lou Thesz Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame weekend in Waterloo, Iowa. It all takes place on Friday, July 10th, and costs $200, with all proceeds going to the National Wrestling Hall of Fame Dan Gable Museum. Wrestlers should send a resume including a picture and the following information: height, age, name of trainer, and brief list of career highlights to Troy Peterson at WRESSHOW@YAHOO.COM.
Canadian legend Alexis Smirnoff / Mike "The Judge" Dubois turns 68; former WWE/WCW womens star Madusa Miceli / Alundra Blayze turns 51; former WWE and TNA star Shelly "Ariel/Salinas" Martinez turns 35; and Japanese star Daisuke Sekimoto turns 34.
Sunday, February 8, 2015
WWE superstar The Big Show turns 43 today. Also celebrating are retired female star Misty Blue Simmes (53) and WWE legend Jim "the Anvil" Neidhart (60).
Santana Garrett, who was Brittany in TNA, won the NWA World Women's title from Barbi Hayden on Saturday night at the NWA Signature Pro show in Plant City, Florida.
Diamond Dallas Page is in the ICU of Piedmont Hospital in Atlanta, Georgia, after he
was unable to breathe because of vocal cord swelling.
CWE had a show on Friday at Rookie's Sports Bar in Transcona, Manitoba, and here are the results: Tyler Colton beat Adam Race; Dick Blood & Billy beat Kevin Cannon & Bobby Collins; Robby Royce defeated Scotty Stylez; Moses Luke pinned Kory Kinkade while blindfolded; Danny Duggan was declared the winner by DQ against Mike Mission after Mission used a weapon on Duggan. The match was restarted under No Disqualification regulations and Duggan pinned Mission after a guitar shot to the head.; Kevin Cannon became The King Of Rookie's after winning The King Of Rookie's Battle Royal last eliminating Dick Blood. CWE returns to Rookie's Sports Bar on Friday, March 27th. www.cwecanada.ca
Saturday, February 7, 2015
A few indy shows this weekend:
- Smash Wrestling runs tonight at 6pm the Canlan Sportsplex in Mississauga, Ontario at 6pm - announced matches include Drew Gulak vs. Tyson Dux, Josh Alexander vs. Sanada, a 3-way ladies match, and a fan accepts the 100-chop challenge.
- The Prairie Wrestling Alliance runs tonight at 7:30pm at the Century Casino in Calgary, ALberta. Dylan Knight challenges Brandon van Danielson for the PWA title, and Brett Morgan takes on Travis Cole in a Loser Leaves PWA match.
- Eclipse Wrestling runs tomorrow at 2pm at the Oshawa Legion in Oshawa, Ontario. Cody Deaner, The Flatliners, and Tyler Tirva are among the announced names.
- Destiny Wrestling runs tomorrow at 6pm at the Battle Arts Academy in Mississauga, Ontario. Rhino, Stone Rockwell, RJ City, Hornet, and Phil Atlas, plus the Mighty Minis will be on hand.
- For those west of the GTA, Steel City Pro runs at 1pm at Porcelain Records in Hamilton, Ontario. Logan Savage battles Rhys Greenaway see action, Courtney Rush takes on Jewells Malone, and a 4-way match sees Alessandro del Bruno, Justin Sane, Preston Myles, and Eric Carnie square off.
Happy birthday to former WWE enhancement talent Rusty Brooks.
WWE NXT announced a show in Cleveland at the Agora Theatre on Friday, March 6. Tickets go on sale Friday, February 13th at 10 a.m. Of course, this follows the announcement of an already-sold-out show in Columbus for March 4th.
The Cauliflower Alley Club announced that Lisa Marie Varon, a.k.a. Victoria and Tara, will be receiving an award at the reunion this April in Las Vegas. She joins already-announced female honorees Beth Phoenix, Gail Kim and Malia Hosaka.
The AV Club has an item on Dwayne “the Rock” Johnson’s upcoming TV projects. Click here to read it.
Canadian Wrestling's Elite has a show at Rookie's Sports Bar (201 Melrose Ave. E) in Transcona, Manitoba on Friday, February 6th. Announced matches include: a King Of Rookie's Battle Royal; Dick Blood & Billy Blaze vs. The Cannon Cartel (Kevin Cannon & Bobby Collins); Danny Duggan vs. Mike Mission; Robby Royce vs. Scotty Stylez; Kory Kinkade vs.Moses Luke. It's an 8:30 pm start. www.cwecanada.ca
Happy birthday to Konnor of WWE’s Ascension, who turns 35.
Thursday, February 5, 2015
For the ultimate collector, the home of Jimmy "The Boogie Woogie Man" Valiant is for sale in Shawsville, VA. It's for sale by owner, and you can find the listing here. He's asking for $199,000. Lots of photos on the website. Of course, it's next door to Boogie’s Wrestling Camp Hall Of Fame Museum.
Happy birthday to TNA Knockout Madison Rayne (29).
Legendary Mexican wrestler and actor El Santo passed away on this date in 1984.
On this date in 1988, Andre the Giant beat Hulk Hogan to win the WWE Heavyweight Championship on a special live episode of The Main Event. This was the famous match that introduced the evil twin referee Earl Hebner, who replaced Dave for the match and ended up screwing Hogan out of the title. This still is the most-watched televised wrestling show in American history, and given the splintering of the television market with so many channels, it will probably remain so for all-time.
Wednesday, February 4, 2015
Smackdown was taped last night in Colorado Springs, Colo., and here's what to expect on the show this week (Wednesday in Canada, Thursday in the U.S.): Miz TV with Roman Reigns and Daniel Bryan; Ryback and Dolph Ziggler vs Goldust and Stardust; Dean Ambrose vs Curtis Axel; Fandango vs Adam Rose; The Miz vs Roman Reigns; Rusev vs Erick Rowan; Alicia Fox vs Paige; promo by Bray Wyatt; Daniel Bryan vs Seth Rollins and J&J Security.
Wade Keller of The Pro Wrestling Torch was announced as the 2015 recipient of the Jim Melby Award for his contributions to professional wrestling journalism from the National Wrestling Hall of Fame Dan Gable Museum in Waterloo, Iowa. The ceremony will take place July 10-11 as a part of the George Tragos/Lou Thesz Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame induction weekend.
Hail Sabin ... and Happy Birthday! Former TNA star Chris Sabin turns 33 today. British wrestler/promoter Stevie Knight turns 39, and former Chikara star Vin “Equinox” Girard turns 27. It's also the birthday of NWA mainstay "Big Daddy Yum Yum" Byron Wilcott.