Click here for SLAM! Wrestling's 'WrestleMania XX' section.
Ahh Wrestlemania. It seems like only a year ago we took a look at some of the facts and figures of Wrestlemania past. Oh wait, it was a year ago.
In any case, this year's edition of "the granddaddy of them all"
emanates from the historic Madison Square Garden, the birthplace of them all.
It's almost unbelievable to imagine that there have been twenty of these shows,
but lo and behold here we are at the 20th incarnation of the show.
In honour of the 20th anniversary, here are 20 facts and figures of Wrestlemania.
WrestleMania 19: Updating the Mania stats
- As the card looks going into 'Mania, a number of WWE wrestlers will
make their 'Mania debuts this year, including Bill Goldberg, Batista, Randy
Orton, John Cena, Tajiri, Akio, Ultimo Dragon, Shannon Moore, Rene Dupree, Rob
Conway, Doug Basham, Danny Basham, Torrie Wilson, Jackie Gayda and Stacy Kiebler.
- The Dudley Boyz could become the newest members of the 0-4 club, joining
Goldust and The Big Show. Big Show, however, could extend the record for WM
futility should he lose to Cena.
- Undertaker will join Hulk Hogan as the only wrestlers to compete in
12 'Mania matches. He could also become the first man to reach a dozen wins.
- For all of his 'Mania matches, Undertaker has only main-evented one
Wrestlemania. That was WM 13, against Sid.
- Chris Benoit is the first Canadian to be challenging for a Heavyweight
title since Bret Hart faced Yokozuna at WM X, coincidentally also at MSG. It
should also be noted that MSG is the only building in which a Canadian has been
successful in a Heavyweight title bout.
- At least one Canadian has walked out of 'Mania a new champion each
year since WM XV. This year's hopes are pinned on Benoit and Dupree.
- The last time Canada came away from Wrestlemania without a title belt
was WM XIV. For that show, Owen Hart was the lone Canadian on the card.
- If the suspected last match on the card comes to pass, then Brock Lesnar
would join Hulk Hogan, Yokozuna, Randy Savage, Steve Austin and The Rock as
the only men to be in consecutive main events at 'Mania.
- Hogan holds the record for most consecutive Wrestlemania main events.
He fought in the final bout from WM V through WM IX.
- Shawn Michaels is the only wrestler on the current WM XX card that
fought at the last MSG 'Mania, which was WM X. No wrestlers are still on the
active roster from WM I.
- Of the 11 inductees into the WWE Hall of Fame, five were involved in
the first Wrestlemania. None were involved in Wrestlemania X
- Should Michaels lose his bout this Sunday, he would join Tito Santana
as co-holder of the dubious record of most Wrestlemania losses with seven. Interestingly
enough, Michaels gave Santana his last 'Mania loss at WM VIII.
- Victoria, who has only been in WWE for about two years, is one of only
two females that has previously fought at 'Mania. The other, of course, is Sable.
- Victoria, who is looking to avoid becoming the second female to go
0-2 at 'Mania (the first being Lelani Kai), is also in danger of being the first
women's champion to lose her title at consecutive Wrestlemanias.
- The Guererros, Eddy and Chavo, are the first family to defend two titles
- Mysterio and Dragon represent the first time that two masked wrestlers
have faced each other at Wrestlemania. Other masked wrestlers in the small fraternity
that have fought at 'Mania include The Executioner and Aguila.
- Christian's streak of three title victories at Wrestlemania (WM XVI,
XVII and XVIII) will end this year as he is not in a title bout. He did not
participate in last year's 'Mania.
- The only title that will not be defended at WM XX is the Intercontinental
title. This is the second year in the row the belt has not been on the line.
- A successful title defense by Triple H this year would put him in the
elite company of Hulk Hogan, who is the only man to successfully defend a heavyweight
title at consecutive Wrestlemanias (WM II, WM III).
- At last year's recap, I noted that Renee Dupree, Doug Basham, Damaja,
Nick Dinsmore and Nova could make their WWE debuts this year. In the end, four
of the wrestlers did some time on the main shows (Nova was the loan OVW'er not
to make an appearance). For those curious, Damaja is Danny Basham, while Dinsmore
had a brief run as one of the Conquistadors (along with Doug Basham). Dinsmore
has also worked a recent episode of Heat under the mask.
Visit the SLAM! Wrestling store!
Order WWF: Best of Wrestlemania 1-14 VHS
Jon Waldman has been with SLAM! Wrestling since 2000 and has been with the
site since it's return to the 'net one year ago. To read articles from Jon's
original tenure with the site (aka Jon Waldman Version 1), feel free to visit
his website at www.jonwaldman.com.
2004 Wrestling Headlines
2003 Wrestling Headlines
Wrestling Headlines Archive