July 16, 2006
WWE about to Score with RAW leaving TSN
By TIM BAINES - Ottawa Sun
WWE has scheduled a press conference for Wednesday in Toronto where it will make a "major announcement."
Actually, it may be a series of "major announcements."
WWE will trot out WWE Canada president Carl DeMarco, superstars Torrie Wilson, Ric Flair, Trish Stratus and Edge, one of the bosses Shane McMahon and two reps from The Score -- senior vice president and GM David Errington and anchor Sid Seixeiro.
Hmmmm ... what could one of these announcements be ... especially with four Monday Night RAW superstars on hand?
How about RAW leaving TSN, the network that has been home to WWE's flagship program for so long? And how about it happening soon ... say immediately after July 31?
Sources say TSN and WWE could not agree to a new TV deal.
Clouding things for TSN was its deal to air NFL Monday night games -- 18 of them this season. Coverage begins with a pre-season game on Aug. 14. Taking a backseat to football for so many weeks and being moved out of its time slot obviously would have hurt RAW, which is a huge ratings monster for TSN.
That opened the door for The Score, which will add RAW to its programming, which already includes Smackdown! Will the Home for the Hardcore become a bit more hardcore and add ECW, too? Maybe not, but an announcement on ECW's TV destination could also be made at Wednesday's press conference.
As for the press conference ... as Billy Red Lyons used to say ... "Dontcha dare miss it!"
- Ratings for WWE's ECW show on the Sci Fi channel in the U.S. have been better than expected. But house-show attendance is very average. Sci Fi will soon make a decision on whether to renew the ECW show.
- WWE is toying with the idea of holding a house show in Ottawa on Sept. 17, the same day as the Unforgiven pay-per-view in Toronto. The show would be earlier in the day. Montreal will host a RAW/Smackdown! Supershow the next night. It'll be interesting to see where the ECW program is held the next night. WWE still hasn't announced a site.
- RAW is expected to start about an hour late tomorrow night, thanks to a baseball game.
- Here's the card for tonight's TNA Victory Road pay-per-view: Sting vs. Samoa Joe vs. Christian Cage vs. Scott Steiner (No. 1 Contender's Match); AJ Styles and Fallen Angel Christopher Daniels (with Sirelda) vs. America's Most Wanted (with Gail Kim); Team 3D vs. The James Gang and The Monster Abyss; Raven vs Larry Z (hair vs. hair); Kevin Nash and Alex Shelley vs. Chris Sabin and Jay Lethal; Rhino vs. The Alpha Male Monty Brown; The Latin American Exchange vs. The Truth Ron Killings and Sonjay Dutt; and The Naturals vs. The Diamonds In The Rough.
- So TNA's Team Canada has to disband ... where does that leave Petey Williams -- back to the X Division where he was a star? And what about Bobby Roode, who joined the list of TNA stars who've turned down WWE?
- Speaking of TNA, Rhino was strong in his rip on WWE on this past week's Impact. He said ECW should die.