July 9, 2006
Carlito's got Canadian blood ... now that's cool!
By TIM BAINES - Ottawa Sun
Carlos Colon Jr. is a cool guy. Just ask him ... and hope he doesn't spit in your face.
Turns out he's even cooler when he walks down the WWE aisle as Carlito.
"I'm the coolest WWE star," said Carlito over the phone earlier this week. "That's just me. Carlito is me with the volume turned up."
Carlito, from Puerto Rico, has plenty of that Caribbean flair in him. And he's got a good dose of that Canadian bravado as well -- his mother Nancy is from Toronto. It makes for a regular family reunion when he's performing in Toronto.
"My cousins and grandparents live there," said Carlito, who really doesn't have a preference if fans cheer or boo him.
"As long as there's a reaction from the fans, I'm happy."
Carlito has already held the intercontinental and U.S. championships in WWE ... and has his sights set on a much higher goal.
"Definitely, within the next couple of months, I'll be the WWE champion," he said. "I've had two big highlights ... and there are many more to come."
- What would WWE do to punish a wrestler who violated its Wellness policy? How about losing two championships in two nights? Rob Van Dam lost both his WWE and ECW heavyweight titles after he and Sabu were pulled over by the Ohio State Highway Patrol on Sunday night. Van Dam also got a 30-day suspension and Sabu was fined $1,000. WWE.com reports that Van Dam was initially stopped for speeding. When troopers approached his vehicle, they smelled marijuana and performed a search. Troopers found RVD in possession of 18 grams of marijuana and five Vicodin, prescription pain pills. Sabu was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia and also had nine pills that were not immediately identifiable, but were known to be controlled substances, according to the OSHP. Van Dam lost the WWE strap to Edge on Monday Night RAW. The Big Show won the ECW title the following night.
- It's great to see Adam Copeland (Edge) in possession of the WWE title again. The Rated R Superstar, a good Canadian lad, has been a one-man highlight reel on many recent editions of RAW. And it's about time The Big Show got his big mitts on a belt. He could be an ECW champ for awhile if WWE makes him a wrecking machine.
- WWE Canada is having a huge press conference on July 19 in Toronto ... with Torrie Wilson, Trish Stratus, Ric Flair and Edge scheduled to be on hand. WWE is tight lipped about what it says will be a huge announcement. So what could it be? Next year's Summer Slam in Toronto? I don't think so. Could it have something to do with ECW ... a TV deal in Canada? Let's hope so.
- The lineup so far for Saturday Night's Main Event on July 15: Edge vs. John Cena; Batista, Rey Mysterio and Bobby Lashley vs. King Booker, Mark Henry and Fit Finlay; DX vs. The Spirit Squad (elimination match); and a Divas Bikini Bullriding contest featuring Torrie Wilson, Maria, Mickie James, Candice Michelle, Victoria, Kristal Marshall, Ashley Massaro, Jillian Hall, Michelle McCool and Kelly Kelly.I can already hear Jerry "The King" Lawler yelping.
- Speaking of puppies ... and we can all let out a huge sigh ... former Playboy poser Jennifer Walcott dropped out of the 2006 Diva Search. Erica Chevillar, a 25-year-old Florida high school teacher, will be her replacement.
- One of this columnist's favourites, Chris Jericho, will play the lead in Opening Night, July 20-22 at Toronto's Centre for the Arts. Y2J is playing Jack Tisdale, a varnish salesman.
- Great Scot! It was a long way to America for The Highlanders ... well, actually not really that long. The Scottish McAlister brothers -- Derek Couch (Robbie) and Russell Murray (Rory), who made their RAW debut with a win over Rob Conway and Matt Striker on Monday, are from Woodstock, west of Toronto.
- Rage Wrestling Entertainment will hold a show, Mayhem, July 14, at 8 p.m., at the Carleton Place Arena (77 Neelin St.). Check out ragewrestling.net for more details.