June 18, 2006
DX, ECW renew WWEStorylines go retro
By TIM BAINES - Ottawa Sun
Yes, break it down. The week that was. Another smashing success for One Night Stand ... with ECW returning in all its table-breaking bloodbath glory ... and a new champion emerging.
Are you ready?
Think you can tell us what to do?
Think you can tell us what to wear?
You think that you're better?
Well you'd better get ready
Bow to the masters
Break it down!
And ... there was a rebirth of D-Generation X. Well, at least a watered-down version of DX. Road Dogg Jesse James and Bad Ass Billy Gunn (or Mr. Ass as he came to be known) are both tied up with TNA. Sean Waltman (X Pac) hasn't been seen in ages. And Chyna is ... well, she looked great in Playboy ... but hasn't exactly been in the spotlight since her departure from WWE.
But Triple H and Shawn Michaels are back crotch chopping together, brought together when Michaels rescued his former ally from a Spirit Squad beating on RAW. Look for plenty of DX hype leading into the Vengeance pay-per-view. Let's hope the DX thing lives beyond that.
- And now about that ECW pay-per-view. One of the signs prominently displayed said: "If Cena Wins, We Riot." Well, no need to riot. Rob Van Dam won the championship belt, with a surprise assist from Edge. The in-house fans were hot in this one, with chants, directed at former champion John Cena, like: "You can't wrestle" ... and "Same old sh-t." In other matches, Tazz quickly made Jerry "The King" Lawler tap out; Kurt Angle beat Randy Orton; The FBI (with Big Guido ... and he is big) beat Super Crazy and Tajiri; Rey Mysterio vs. Sabu ended in a no contest after many "Oh my God" moments; Mick Foley, Edge and Lita beat Terry Funk,Tommy Dreamer and Beulah McGillicutty in a match where Funk was left in a bloody mess; and Balls Mahoney beat Masato Tanaka. And if that wasn't enough The Sandman caned Eugene. It was a great night with many highspots. And the crowd at the Hammerstein Ballroom was about as good as it gets.
- Very disappointing to see The Sandman make his entrance without Metallica's Enter Sandman. Nothing against WWE's music concoctions -- most of the tunes are very solid -- but the fans singing along with Enter Sandman was not too long ago among the highs of an ECW show. Chalk this one up to WWE stubborness. Still no word of a Canadian TV deal for the weekly ECW show, which debuted in the U.S. on Sci Fi on Tuesday. The show was panned as being mediocre -- too much of the WWE formula. But what we have to understand is that Vince McMahon, by virtue of being the company owner, has a right to get involved. As much as I loved the "old ECW," it wasn't a moneymaker. But Vince needs to give Paul Heyman a lot of leeway ... we can only hope it doesn't turn into Smackdown! Speaking of ECW and its Sci Fi channel relationship, The Sandman wrestled The Zombie ... and there's talk of a monster faction ... with vampires, witches, etc.
- If WWE wants to bump up its Smackdown! viewership, it'll need more cross-promotional challenges. If a RAW star goes on air and challenges a Smackdown! star, RAW viewers may tune in to Smackdown!, a program they may not normally watch. JBL replaces Tazz (who has moved to ECW) in the announcers' booth on Smackdown! It's a good role for JBL ... the downside is he'll have to work with Michael Cole.
- WWE has released Goldust.
- The June 25 Vengeance pay-per-view looks good. So far, it's Van Dam vs. Edge; DX vs. The Spirit Squad; Ric Flair vs. Foley (two out of three falls match); Shelton Benjamin vs. Carlito vs. Johnny Nitro; and Orton vs. Angle.
- CPW hosts its next event, Retribution 2006, on June 24 at the St-Jean-Bosco school in Hull.There will be a Meet and Greet BBQ, starting 4:30 pm (rain or shine). Fans will be able to enjoy a pre-show BBQ, while chatting with CPW stars. The main event of the night is a Triple Threat match: Tray Hugh Mongus vs. Drake Styles vs. Thunder. Also on the card, it's: The Mansour Brothers (Prof. Adib and Sidi)vs. The Twin Terrors (Koko and Razz Mansour); The Freak Zakk Manson vs. Frank "The Beast" Bradley; Sudden Impact (Ryan Rush and Zack Storm) vs. The Triforce (Kid Supreme and Stupefied) vs. Adrenaline Rush (Samson and Jimmy Stone). There will be four other matches, featuring Velvet Jones, Dave Titan, Sinister X and the return of Alex Moore.
- Got your tickets yet for UWA's Battle in the Capital at the Capital Music Hall in Ottawa on June 29? The awesome main event is Samoa Joe vs. A.J. Syles.
- In Winnipeg, the Honky Tonk Man will headline a show at Jagers Sportsbar (1875 Pembina Hwy.) today, beginning at 6 p.m. Zach Mercury, Chi Chi Cruz, Wavell Starr and TJ Bratt are among the wrestlers on hand.