RAW excitement for Homecoming
TIM BAINES - Ottawa Sun
There's a big buzz over tomorrow night's WWE show of shows, The Homecoming.
The occasion: WWE is shifting its RAW centrepiece from Spike TV to the USA Network in the U.S. The show stays on TSN in Canada (it'll be delayed a bit more than an hour here this week, it begins at 7:55 in the U.S.).
Basically it's going to be the party of all parties. A celebration with plenty of thrills, chills and spills. A bit of violence, some diva titillation and plenty of old friends we haven't seen for awhile.
We'll see guys like Stone Cold Steve Austin and Hulk Hogan ... then there's Mick Foley as a guest on Piper's Pit with Rowdy Roddy Piper.
RAW GM Eric Bischoff will no doubt have some tricks up his sleeve when he faces champion John Cena.
Triple H will return, perhaps sparking his feud with "old friend"Ric Flair.
Kurt Angle and Shawn Michaels will compete in an Iron Man match.
Edge and Matt Hardy will meet in a Loser Leaves RAW ladder match. And while all roads seem to lead to Edge winning the match, I wouldn't be surprised if he loses and heads to Smackdown! At least that's what I'd do if I was booking it.
There's a Bra and Panties match with Trish and Ashley facing Torrie, Victoria and Candice.
There's even a Smackdown! match, with GM Teddy Long saying Teddy Long said that JBL, Eddie Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, Chris Benoit, Christian and Batista will all participate, with the stipulation a surprise.
WWE will also trot out oldies, but goodies like :Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Jimmy Hart, Hillbilly Jim, Superstar Billy Graham, Fabulous Moolah, Mae Young, Harley Race,Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka, Chief Jay Strongbow, Greg "The Hammer" Valentine, Nikolai Volkoff and Koko B. Ware.
Make plans to slide onto the couch with remote in hand. This is an event not to be missed.
- There's been a change of plans over at TSN, which will now air RAW Exposed: WWE's 10 Greatest Hits at 3:30 p.m. tomorrow, with an encore presentation at 12:30 a.m., half an hour after The Homecoming (which will also air Tuesday at 3 p.m.)
- TNA Impact made its debut last night on Spike TV. It's about time we got to see what all this fuss was about. And it's about time WWE had a legitimate rival getting some air time. The dilemma in reporting the latest TNA news is Impact airs past deadline time for this column. Guess I'll have to check out the spoilers on wrestleview.com. If you've never seen mat superstars like AJ Styles, Samoa Joe and Canada's own Petey Williams, check this out! Jeff Jarrett is the TNA champion, but the unique X Division is always a showstopper.
- WWE doesn't seem to be taking its women's division too seriously. Trish and Victoria are warriors, but Molly Holly, a strong worker, is out and Lita is, I guess, unable to wrestle right now. There are, apparently, plenty of talented women wrestlers. They just never show up in WWE unless they've got a huge set of boobs and are willing to remove clothes. On that note, what about April Hunter? That gal can downright get down and dirty ... in the ring, of course. The gal is so very hot ... and she has her own website already.
- WWE has released The Self Destruction of The Ultimate Warrior, with several WWE employees ripping the former WWE champ. This is just very bizarre. Say what you want about the guy -- lack of talent, egotistical, etc., but that sums up several wrestlers on today's current roster. And you can't tell me that Hulk Hogan ever had any talent. But he had a ton of charisma, something The Ultimate Warrior also possessed. The Warrior, James Hellwig, responded to a WWE invitation to discuss the contents of the DVD: "I do not accept this brainless, disgraceful invitation. F--- no, I do not. You can rescue yourself, Vince. Do your own damage control. I've no ear for your begging anymore. Only if you were on fire would I help you -- it'd just be too hard to resist pissing on you."
- Vince McMahon, on the failure of Muhammad Hassan (Marc Copani): "Really, the reason this character didn't work for us is because of the individual playing the character, more or less."Hassan's throat slash gestures may not have been wise, but I can't imagine he asked to have a mob of masked terrorists accompany him to the ring.
Visit the SLAM! Wrestling store!
101 Reasons Not to be a Pro Wrestler DVD