Hitting the links with Rosey and pals
TIM BAINES - Ottawa Sun
Several of WWE's top superstars brought out their weapons on Friday.
Nah, nothing illegal. No chairs or tire irons. Just their golf clubs.
Imagine, if you will, The Big Show towering above a tee box with a custom-fitted Callaway Big Bertha driver. Now that's a weapon.
The stars were out in full force, north of Toronto at the lovely Angus Glen, for WWE's Road to Summerslam charity golf tournament, with $20,000 being raised to benefit about as good a charity as there is -- Ronald McDonald House Charities.
Now this wasn't a normal day for the superstars, or for the fans who got a chance to golf alongside heroes and heels alike.
Imagine golfing with Snitsky. A villain with a menacing look. But he seems, gulp, like a nice guy. I've decided that maybe it really wasn't his fault.
Rosey is one-half of the tag-team champs, along with The Hurricane. He's one big boy, weighing in at about 365 lbs. And after spending 18 holes with him, he's my new pal. Who wouldn't want a buddy with that kind of size? You know how inevitably once during a round of golf someone in the foursome behind you will drive a ball that lands perilously close to your group? Well, I want to have Rosey in my group when the offending goof sheepishly comes to pick up his ball.
Rosey, admittedly, doesn't play a lot of golf, but his father-in-law Frank would have been proud of him Friday. Rosey came through with a couple of huge putts in our six-under-par group effort.
"He's tickled pink that I'm here," said Rosey.
And when you hang out with these guys for the better part of six hours, you hear some stories.
"I walk in and Big Show says: 'Rosey, look at this.'
"I look over and Big Show is lying on the ground ... and Carlito is standing on Big Show's hands. Big Show starts lifting him."
Rosey has a lot going for him outside the ring: A wife and two young kids -- Jordan, 7, and Madison, 18 months. But he enjoys getting out and whacking the ball around, if only to keep his wife's dad happy. And if golf doesn't come naturally, wrestling does. That's just what happens when your dad is Sika, half of the infamous Wild Samoans, along with Rosey's uncle Afa. The family circle extends to wrestlers like The Rock, Rikishi, Samu, Yokozuna and Jamal.
Booker T is the golfer of the group. At least that's what the rest of his wrestling peers say. The Book, who lives in the Houston area, carries a 15-handicap.
Asked if he thinks Booker T is doing any Spineroonis on the course, Rosey answered: "If he makes a good shot we'll hear him, doesn't matter where he is on the course.I wouldn't be surprised if he's got his pyro with him."
Others on hand included one of my personal favourites, Christian ... okay, I admit it ... I'm one of the peeps.
And The Big Show is ... well, he's The Big Show. And whatever he tells me, that's pretty well good. No argument necessary.
"Golf is like sex, you don't have to be good to have fun," he said., following that up with: "My driver looks like a Volkswagen on a stick."
Let's leave the last word to heavyweight champ John Cena, part of the winning team who carded 11-under-par: "This is why it was a great day. No. 1, Snitsky didn't kill anyone. No. 2, Coach didn't win. No. 3, Coach didn't win. And No. 4, Coach didn't win."
On this day, even the Coach, Jonathan Coachman, was a Good Guy. Cheered (with a couple of jeers thrown in) for one day. And maybe one day only. Good golf course. Good charity. And heels and heroes alike, good people.
- Hulk Hogan prompted "You Screwed Bret" chants when he ripped on Shawn Michaels on RAW. Michaels may hear much of the same tomorrow night when he visits Montreal. And with the recent talks between Bret Hart and Vince McMahon, you've got to at least wonder a bit if Hart will appear on RAW. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.
- I think the new Rob Conway gimmick works. Good theme song. Good look, even with the "see-through" panties. Much better than being cast as a French sympathizer as half of La Resistance.
- Edge will appear at the 1200 St. Laurent Toys R Us, today to sign autographs from 1-3 p.m., before later facing The Big Show at the Corel Centre show at 7 p.m. Drop by and say hi to Edge (Adam Copeland), then check out the RAW house show.
- I don't know about anybody else, but I'm a bit creeped out by the Rey Mysterio-Eddie Guerrero angle on Smackdown! They will face each other at Summer Slam, with custody of Rey's real-life eight-year-old son, Dominik, on the line. Sure, it's only an angle, but I'm still uneasy with the idea.
- The RAW Diva Search winner will be crowned tomorrow in Montreal. All three of them are very hot so it's hard to pick a winner.
Visit the SLAM! Wrestling store!
Pre-order the Bret "The Hitman" Hart Triple DVD Set