Hurricane's a breath of fresh air
TIM BAINES - Ottawa Sun
Gregory Shane Helms is a superhero in the ring ... and a pretty good guy out of it, too.
Just ask any of the young fans around whom Helms, who wrestles as The Hurricane, has wrapped one of his masks during a WWE show.
"Giving away the mask came from watching The Rock and Roll Express take their bandanas off," said The Hurricane, who says he attended his first wrestling show when he was five. "I'd run and try to get one ... never did, though. I remember, as a kid, how much I wanted one.
"There was Bret Hart, too. He'd give away his sunglasses."
Getting The Hurricane gimmick was a big boost to Helms, who'd been part of 3 Count, a singing/dancing/wrestling faction in WCW.
"I'd come over as part of the WCW invasion and from a business standpoint, there were a lot of guys crammed into one storyline," he said. "So this was good for me."
Helms was already into the whole superhero thing.
"My grandfather collected comics," he said. "I read everything in his collection. Comics like Spider-man and Green Lantern."
Now often teaming with Rosey, The Hurricane isn't always in the main event, but he's been good as gold when he's been given a chance.
"Anytime they've put the microphone in my hands, I've come through with a home run, a grand slam," he said. "I've been in there with Ric Flair, The Rock, Chris Jerichoand Triple H, some of the best talkers in the business.
"I'm the go-to guy when they need something funny. You can't be in that spot every night. They have to get 30-40 guys into a two-hour program so it's really tough."
While there were rumblings that WWE was going to turn The Hurricane into a heel, he says that's much ado about nothing. He likes the character the way it is and says he was never approached about doing a character swerve.
More on The Hurricane
- Here's the tentative lineup for the Aug. 14 RAW live event at the Corel Centre in Ottawa: John Cena vs. Chris Jericho; Eugene and The Big Show vs. Kurt Angle and Edge; Carlito vs. Shelton Benjamin; The Hurricane and Rosey vs. Tyson Tomko and Snitsky; Val Venis vs. Chris Masters; Viscera vs. Rob Conway and Trish vs. Victoria. Earlier in the day, from 1-3 p.m., Edge (Adam Copeland) will appear at Toys R Us, 1200 St. Laurent, to sign autographs.
- Jericho will appear at HMV in Montreal to sign autographs before the Aug. 15 RAW, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- CPW is holding Bash at the BallPark II today at Lynx Stadium right after the 1:05 p.m. baseball game between Ottawa and Louisville. One ticket gets you admission to both the ball game and the wrestling event. The Loser Leaves Town main event features Wild Dangerous Dan and Tray Hugh Mongus vs. Thunder and Pretty Boy Chuck Simms. Gino Brito is the ref. Whoever gets pinned must leave CPW. Other matches: The Freak Zakk Manson vs. The Future Max Alexander; Michael Von Payton and Dave Titan vs. Aftershock; and Moonlight vs. Misty Haven.
- IWS will present two shows at the Palais des Congres in Gatineau on Sept. 3. A 2 p.m. show will feature some of indy wrestling's rising stars, while Hardcore Heat will be held at 8 p.m.
- Chaos in the Capital will be held at the Civic Centre Salons, as part of Ottawa's Super Ex, on Aug. 25, at 8 p.m. The main event is a blockbuster with Sabu facing Abyss. Among the other matches is a tag-team battle with Team Canada (Petey Williams and Bobby Roode) facing Shawn MacMillan and Virus. Tickets include admission to Super Ex. For more details, you can check out universalwrestlingalliance.com.
- The Aug. 12 WWE RAW vs. Smackdown! golf tournament at the lovely Angus Glen layout near Toronto is still looking for golfers. Hard to turn up an invitation to play with stars like Booker T, Christian,The Hurricane, John Cena, The Big Show, Chris Masters and Melina ... and you get to help out Ronald McDonald House charities. If you want to play, call Kelly Wayling at (905) 887-0090 (Ext 237) or fire off an e-mail to email@example.com
- So I hear Matt Hardy ran in during the Kane vs. Edge stretcher match on RAW. Didn't see it, though, thanks to TSN's quick finger which cut to a commercial. Guess I should have watched the midnight showing where viewers got to see a bit more. As the storyline goes, Kane was later apprehended by police after driving away in an ambulance with Lita on a stretcher in the back.
- WWE.com is reporting that Brock Lesnar has been offered a contract.
- Pro Wrestling Superstars -- Past Present and Future plans to launch an online in-demand video service by the end of the year.
- Our friends at KOCH have several WWE videos set for release soon, the next one being the exceptional ECW: One Night Stand on Aug. 9.
- In Winnipeg, PCW champ Mentallo won a four-way elimination match against Kenny Omega, Rawskillz and Antonio Scorpio Jr. to earn the right to challenge Christopher Daniels for the TNA World X Division title on Aug. 4 at Beat The Summer Heat, at LID Nightclub, 2935 Pembina Hwy (inside the Holiday Inn Astoria). Also, Robby Royce challenges Steve Corino in an Extreme Rules match for the AWA world title. Doors open at 8 p.m., with bell time at 9.You've got to be 18 or over to get in.
Visit the SLAM! Wrestling store!
Become a super hero! Order a Hurricane WWE Pro Mask