May 29, 2005
Tough to take fight out of Cena
By TIM BAINES - Ottawa Sun
And he's got the musical thing going on too. His new CD You Can't See Me, a collection of 17 hip-hop tunes, is smokin'.
But it's not all about the Benjamins. Money doesn't seem like that big a deal, although it's got to be nice not having to worry about where the next meal is going to come from.
"If I wasn't in WWE, I'd still be wrestling," says the self-proclaimed Doctor of Thuganomics. "And if I didn't have the chance to do this (CD), I'd still be freestylin' with my friends. People can see this wasn't just a guy with a suit and tie putting this together. That's my own blood, sweat and tears."
And with Bad Bad Man, there's also a funny video takeoff on the old A-Team TV series, with Gary Coleman as the bad guy.
Music. Wrestling. A star, to be sure. But Cena's feet are firmly planted on the ground -- he's a man of the people. Yep, that was Cena sitting in the cheap seats at a Toronto Blue Jays game on Thursday.
"We were up in the real nosebleeds," says Cena. "With the fans. Eating peanuts and hot dogs. Everybody showed me love.
"Without those people, I wouldn't have a job. Even before I had anything going for me, Canada was good to me. Every time I come to the country, I really feel like I'm part of the family."
And about the brutal I Quit match?
"A lot of people questioned the passion I have for what I do," says Cena. "A lot of those people have stopped questioning me. I'm willing to go through hell and back for the fans. I'm a champ who's willing to fight for the people who support him."
So who's up next?
"My slogan is, 'You want something, come get it.' JBL gave me his worst and it wasn't good enough.
And what if he were to get moved to RAW in the upcoming Draft Lottery.
"I've been on Smackdown! since I came here," says Cena. "I'm the champ. I've earned my stripes on this program. But if I get shipped out, I'll say goodbye to my family and move on."
Stardom is something Cena doesn't take lightly.
"I never thought I'd achieve any of this," says Cena. "When I wake up in the morning until I hit the pillow at night, I give 100%."
His fans, The ChainGang, expect nothing less from The Man of the People.
- Other results from Judgment Day: MNM beat Hardcore Holly and Charlie Haas; Carlito beat The Big Show; Paul London beat Chavo Guerrero; Booker T beat Kurt Angle; Orlando Jordan beat Heidenreich; and Rey Mysterio won by DQ over Eddie Guerrero.
- Loved RAW again on Monday. What a finish! Predictable, but still sensational. Just when Batista thought he had a new pal in Ric Flair, The Dirtiest Player in the Game turned back into The Dirtiest Player in the Game. Naitch low-blowed Batista from behind as Triple H stormed to the ring.
- Also loved the Eric Bischoff-Vince McMahon-Paul Heyman verbal showdown. Gotta think this leads to Bischoff vs. Heyman in some form at ECW's One Night Stand pay-per-view on June 12. Matches announced on wwe.com are: Lance Storm with Dawn Marie vs. Chris Jericho; Rey Mysterio vs Psychosis; Super Crazy vs. Tajiri (with Sinister Minister) vs. Little Guido; Eddie Guerrero vs. Chris Benoit; and Tommy Dreamer and The Sandman vs. The Dudley Boyz. Others scheduled include: Rob Van Dam (with Bill Alfonso), Tazz, Spike Dudley, Al Snow with Head, Sabu, Balls Mahoney, Danny Doring and Roadkill, CW Anderson, Rhyno, Joel Gertner, Axl Rotten, Justin Credible, Kid Kash, Masato Tanaka, Mikey Whipwreck (with Sinister Minister) and The BWO -- Big Stevie Cool, Hollywood Nova, and The Blue Guy.
- In case you've missed The Undertaker lately, The Dead Man's real-life wife Sara gave birth to a daughter. Look for 'Taker to take a bit more time off. Lots of diapers to change, you understand.
- There are reports that Dawn Marie is pregnant.
- TNA's deal with Fox Sports Net is up. In passing, we don't care too much up here in the frozen tundra because the network wasn't available here. But a new deal with another station that beams its signals to Canada would be great news. The word is TNA is talking to WGN, a Chicago superstation.
- Could Matt Hardy debut with TNA at a July 17 pay-per-view?