March 13, 2005
Diamond Dallas Page enjoys yoga
By TIM BAINES - Ottawa Sun
Life's good for Diamond Dallas Page these days. He's got a championship match against Jeff Jarrett on tonight's TNA Destination X TNA pay-per-view (8 p.m.). He's doing movies.
He's written a book.
He's an inspirational speaker.
He's still got the catchy hand sign and diamond cutter.
And he's living life to its fullest, or at least as close as you can come. His concept is Living Life at 90%. Don't talk about it, live it, he insists.
Sure beats the hell out of the way he felt a few years ago.
"Right after the match with Christian in Toronto, I was fighting Bob Holly. He'd knocked me out with a kick to the face and clothesline. (Later in the match) I was trying to suplex him off the top rope. I was so worried about keeping him straight, I jackknifed myself.
"It scared me and (WWE) didn't want to take a chance on me anymore. They wanted me to become a colour commentator. I was so beat up, I guess I just needed a break."
So DDP took a step back. And discovered yoga. Yep, yoga. and he wrote a book. He'll be 49 next month and he's still going strong.
"I wouldn't get caught dead doing any of that shit before," said Page. "It's YRG. Yoga for Regular Guys ... it's yoga meets old-school exercise ... yoga meets tits and ass.
"Three things you regenerate. With your liver, you stop drinking. Lungs ... stop smoking. And flexibility ... stop being so lazy.
"I'm going to reinvent how the world looks at yoga. My book is not about chanting or finding inner peace, it's about focus, drive and passion ... finding your inner strength, the warrior within. The workout is really low impact on your joints."
He's happy with his role in TNA.
"I'm having so much fun working with these guys. I probably have three or four more pay-per-views in me. I want to see how long I can do it, but I probably don't have too many more big singles matches in me."
He's been to acting school, along with his wife Kim.
"A lot of things that I did that got me over in WCW were things they teach in acting school," said Page. "Things like listen, feel and react."
Still a great life for a guy who always feels great.
"They said I'd never be in a main event ... they were wrong," said Page. "If I get killed in the next 30 seconds, I'd be happy as hell with the live I've lived."
- Here's the rest of the card for Destination X: AJ Styles vs. Christopher Daniels vs. Ron Killings for Elix Skipper (Ultimate X Challenge); Kevin Nash vs. The Outlaw (first blood match); Jeff Hardy vs. Abyss (falls count anywhere match); Raven vs. Dustin Rhodes (bullrope match); Alpha Male Monty Brown vs. Tryton; America's Most Wanted, BG James and Konna vs. Team Canada; and Team Traci vs. Team Trinity.
- Kurt Angle says he'll face Shawn Michaels' former partner (in The Midnight Rockers) Marty Jannetty on the next Smackdown!
- Christy Hemme challenged Trish Stratus to a Wrestlemania match on RAW, with a surprise appearance from Lita.
- Speaking of Lita, there are all kinds of rumours going around about her and Matt Hardy. Edge's name is mentioned in the rumours, but I will say no further on the matter until I know the facts.
- WWE's ECW One Night Stand pay-per-view will be held on June 12.
- I travelled to Raleigh, N.C., for last Monday's RAW. Besides doing a feature on diva and Playmate Hemme, I sat in the middle of the RBC Center and spent more than an hour with my favourite wrestler of all-time, Ric Flair. Watch for a story in the near future.