November 23, 2003
Stone Cold can\'t be gone too long
By TIM BAINES -- Ottawa Sun
The Stone Cold truth is I\'m going to give WWE\'s scriptwriters the benefit of the doubt.
Taking Stone Cold Steve Austin out of the RAW rotation is a big gamble, even if only for a short period of time.
This has happened because Team Austin lost its match to Team Bischoff at Survivor Series. The stipulation was if Austin lost, he was out as RAW co-GM.
Now I realize that Austin needs a little time to promote his new book, The Stone Cold Truth, but he\'s the hottest commodity on RAW. Not for his in-ring skills -- injuries have forced him out of action -- but for his trash-talkin\', beer-drinkin\', swagger.
WWE\'s writers apparently have some sort of plan to bring Austin back, bigger and lippier than ever.
If there\'s a power shift to Evolution ... and it seems like there will be ... the best way to bring Austin back could be as the leader of another faction.
It\'s hunting season ... and Austin is a hunter, so we can live with a couple of weeks off. But we need Austin back soon -- if only to deliver a Stone Cold Stunner to Santa.
- Here are the other Survivor Series results: Team Angle beat Team Lesnar; Vince McMahon (with help from Kane) beat The Undertaker in a Buried Alive match; Goldberg beat Triple H; Molly Holly beat Lita; Kane beat Shane McMahon; and The Bashams beat Los Guerreros.
- Some post-Survivor Series thoughts. Many pundits had predicted The Undertaker would lose to McMahon. And many are still saying The Undertaker, American Badass version, will return in his Deadman persona. Hey, it could happen. I love the idea. But Mark Callaway (The Undertaker\'s real name) told me a couple of weeks back he didn\'t want to turn back the clock, that he wanted to move forward with his present character. He did, however, say it would take something really big to get him to return to his old character. Maybe this is it. Kane appeared on Smackdown! to deliver The Undertaker\'s eulogy.
- What\'s with the push for Bob Holly ... Hardcore Holly ... Sparky Plugg ... or whatever he\'s calling himself these days? A feud with Brock Lesnar? Please, don\'t let this happen!
- A romance between Chris Jericho and Trish Stratus? This is an interesting storyline twist. One of WWE\'s biggest heels romancing one of its biggest divas. It\'s a great idea. Also hot after a diva is Christian, who\'s chasing Lita. For storyline purposes, Lita no longer has a boyfriend. Her real-life squeeze Matt Hardy showed up on RAW, teamed with her against Eric Bischoff and Molly Holly, cost his girlfriend the match, then dumped her. The stipulation of the match was if Lita lost, she would be fired. Christian consoled Lita later, saying he saved her job.
- Trish\'s DVD is due on store shelves any day now ... and it promises to be hot, hot, hot. The Toronto diva is a wonderful woman, with a wonderful sense of humour.
- Dave Scherer of 1wrestling.com says Vince McMahon didn\'t blade properly in his Survivor Series match and lost a little more blood than he wanted. For those who don\'t know, wrestlers will sometimes cut themselves on the forehead during a match. So most of the blood you see is self-initiated.
- Jackie Gayda has been getting more and more exposure as Rico\'s sidekick. She maybe got a bit more exposure than she bargained for Monday night on RAW. One of her breasts popped out while she was standing outside of the ring, a slip that was captured on camera.
- CPW International presents Hell for the Holidays Dec. 6, at 7 p.m., at the CPW Arena (St-Joseph Rec Centre, 122 Berri St. in Hull). The main event is Guy Sauriol and Dave LeJusticier vs. Tray Hugh Mongus and Righteous Rick Sterling (with JJ Crooke and Misty Haven). Other matches are: Dynamite Tommy Blade vs. Jaguar; Aftershock vs. The Scots; Shane Simmons vs. The Freak Zakk Manson; MVP Michael Von Payton vs. Thunder; Casey \"The Crow\" Katana vs. Paranoid Jake Matthews (with Lollipop.
- Elite Wrestling Action will host Maximum Action Nov. 29 at Bumpers Pub and Billiards, 126 Second St. W. in Cornwall, at 7 p.m. Tickets are $5. Check out www.elitewrestlingaction.com for more info.