Blassie could bite and fight
TIM BAINES -- Ottawa Sun
There's a whole lot of pencil-neck geeks in mourning.
Classy Freddy Blassie, The Hollywood Fashion Plate, wrestling's king of blood matches, died at the age of 85 of kidney and heart failure Monday in New York.
What a wrestling career he had -- stuff legends are made of!
According to wwe.com, Blassie got his start at carnivals in the 1930s. One day, he watched a performer bite the head off chickens and snakes and stick pins in himself. Blassie deadpanned: "He's got a neck like a stack of dimes. He's what you call a real pencil-neck geek."
That would become Blassie's catch phrase as he worked his way up in the wrestling world.
His (then WWWF and WWF) tenure would include matches, often bloodbaths, against stars like Bruno Sammartino, Chief Jay Strongbow, Bobo Brazil and Pedro Morales.
Blassie later became a manager, but through most of his career, he maintained his status as a wrestler fans loved to hate. Blassie would boast that he had been stabbed 21 times and had lost the sight in his right eye when he was hit by a hardboiled egg. Blassie never met a bloodbath he didn't like; his face ended up as a crimson mask as often as his opponent's.
Blassie's last hurrah would come a couple of weeks ago on RAW, when he sat ringside in his wheelchair. Three Minute Warning was about to pummel him, when The Dudley Boyz came to his rescue and Blassie's last on-air words echoed: "D-Von, get the tables!"
No doubt about it, Freddy Blassie was Classy to the end.
- The Rock made a magnificent return to RAW, but it'll be his only appearance for awhile. With his second film, The Rundown, opening in late September, The Rock is set to start filming Walking Tall. One of his co-stars will be Jackass' Johnny Knoxville. The Rock told wwe.com that he would like to have a match against "ol' whisker biscuit" Goldberg.
- There's growing sentiment that Mick Foley will be the guest ref for the Triple H vs. Kevin Nash Hell in a Cell match at Bad Blood. Foley could appear as early as tomorrow night on RAW.
- Kurt Angle is back, and maybe he doesn't suck after all. It looks like Angle will be a fan favourite this time around.
- Forget about those Sting to WWE rumours for now. It looks like there have been no recent talks.
- Rey Mysterio is the new cruiserweight champ, winning the title from Matt Hardy on Smackdown! In my opinion, Mysterio is talented enough to headline WWE shows, certainly ahead of sloths like Nash.
- Zach Gowen may have just one leg, but he's going to get a chance to earn a WWE contract. He'll arm-wrestle Vince McMahon. Expect a Gowen win and contract to follow.
- Kane could be in for a new look after being chastised and "stunned" by Stone Cold Steve Austin on RAW. Austin wants The Big Red Machine to become more aggressive.
- WWE featured a promo of Toronto's Gail Kim on RAW. It's being suggested Kim could be a Matrix-like character.
- Vince McMahon has appointed Sable as Stephanie's new assistant. Needless to say, Stephanie is none too pleased.