May 11, 2003
Venis rising, and without the towel
By TIM BAINES -- Ottawa Sun
Once upon a time, not so long ago, Sean Morley would gyrate his midsection and purr \"hello, ladies\" before disrobing himself of a towel covering his wrestling trunks.
He was cast as Val Venis, ex-porn star.
And until last Monday, he was Chief Morley, RAW co-GM Eric Bischoff\'s top henchman.
But Bischoff, disenchanted with Morley, \"fired\" him, a move backed up by co-GM Stone Cold Steve Austin.
So Morley\'s in limbo, perhaps with a return to the Val Venis character?
\"I loved doing the Val Venis character, but I feel it had run its course,\" said Morley. \"How many more wives or girlfriends could I steal?\"
Morley, who was raised in Markham, now lives on a 25-acre stretch of land in Bethany, a village between Peterborough and Lindsay.
As for the success of Canadians in WWE, Morley laughs and says: \"I guess it\'s something in our water.\"
Once a hero and now a heel, Morley, who\'s been wrestling for 12 years, doesn\'t mind his current role one bit.
\"I enjoyed being a babyface, but I like being a heel,\" he said. \"I like generating the heat and I like being more vicious.\"
The cerebral Morley has political aspirations -- taking the side of the Libertarians.
\"I\'d like to have a political talk show,\" he said. \"What we have is a bunch of politicians that believe in whatever the polls believe. Libertarians are statesmen. I\'m not afraid to drop my opinion -- on the drop of a dime.\"
- TSN will air RAW on tape delay tomorrow, immediately following the Anaheim-Minnesota NHL game (about 10 p.m.)
- Tickets for the July 7 RAW in Montreal and July 8 Smackdown! in Toronto will go on sale May 24 at 10 a.m.
- The WWE intercontinental title will return. A battle royal at Judgment Day will decide the new champ. Also at Judgment Day, Nash will face Triple H, a match that could be a disaster if fan reaction at RAW and last Sunday in Ottawa is any indication.
- Austin had a beer bash in the middle of the ring on Monday\'s RAW. With his real-life probation over, Austin guzzled many beers with Goldberg, prompting Jerry Lawler to quip: \"I think on the way up here Stone Cold saw a sign that said, \'Drink Canada Dry\' and he\'s gonna do that.\" The ring became soaked with the beer and after the show went off the air, Goldberg slipped and hurt his wrist while delivering a jackhammer to Bischoff.
- Police say Elizabeth Hulette (Miss Elizabeth) had a couple of shots of vodka and some painkillers for her back the night she died. Her boyfriend Larry Pfohl (Lex Luger) was later found with a large quantity of pills, many of them anabolic steroids. He was charged.
- The Road Warriors are expected to wrestle dark matches on RAW and Smackdown! They could pop up on TV soon.
- Marissa Jeanne Vaziri, the daughter of The Iron Sheik, was found strangled to death last weekend.
- Results from last Sunday\'s Corel Centre show: Spike Dudley beat Steven Richards; The Dudley Boyz beat Rico and 3-Minute Warning; Rodney Mack beat Tommy Dreamer; La Resistance beat The Hurricane and Maven; Jazz won a three-way match over Jackie and Victoria; Scott Steiner defeated Christian (the original U.S.-vs.-Canada stipulation was dropped in an attempt to make the fans cheer Steiner); Rob Van Dam and Kane beat Morley and Lance Storm; Chris Jericho beat Test and Triple H beat Nash.
- Jericho delivered this line at the Ottawa show: \"When I walk down the crappy streets of this city, it reminds me why I moved to the United States.\"
- Ultimo Dragon will debut in WWE later this month.
- Canadian Professional Wrestling and International Wrestling held another hugely successful card last Saturday in Hull. In the main event, Dave Le Justicier got his revenge against Wild Dangerous Dan in a bloody cage match. Other results: The Black Panthers beat The Drunken Scotsmen; Thunder beat Wild Ace; Rock Hard Nick Diamond beat Psycho; Faces of Death beat Tray Hugh Mongus and Shane Simmons and Casey \"The Crow\" Katana beat \"Mr. Know It All\" Shawn Demers. The next card, Canadian Conflict, will be held May 24, at 7 p.m., at 122 Berri St. In the main event, Le Justicier will team with \"Dynamite\" Tommy Blade and Thunder to face The Black Panthers and Wild Dangerous Dan. CPW will run two shows a month.