May 9, 2003
DeMarco: Superstars don\'t fear SARS
By PHILIP LEE-SHANOK - TORONTO SUN

World Wrestling Entertainment says its superstars have not been scared away from Toronto by SARS despite comments posted on its official Web site.

A story on wwe.com Wednesday afternoon ran with the headline \"SARS threat looms for Toronto\'s Superstars.\" The story was later removed.

In it, Canadian wrestler Test (Andrew Martin), a former Toronto resident, was quoted saying he will wear a mask when he flies into the city to visit his family.

\"I\'m going up there to visit, and I don\'t care how stupid I look -- I\'m wearing a mask on the plane! I\'m concerned about that kind of stuff,\" he said.

Another WWE star, Orangeville native Christian, also expressed concern.

\"Hopefully they\'ll be able to keep it under control,\" he said. \"It\'s always on your mind. I guess it\'s smart to just stay out of crowds and wash your hands as much as possible.\"

WWE spokesman Gary Davis said initially there was some concern, but no one has worries about visiting Toronto now.

He said all the wrestlers at the RAW event in Oshawa last week stayed in Toronto hotels.

\"They heard the news reports about problems in Toronto, but their experience was pleasant and they wondered what the big deal was all about,\" Davis said. \"Knock that bug down!\"

WWE president Carl DeMarco said wrestling superstars are looking forward to coming back to Toronto this summer for a Smackdown! event on July 8.

\"There\'s no fear on our side. You can bet we\'ll be there loud and proud. Whenever Toronto needs us, we\'ll be there,\" he said.

-- with files from John Powell, SLAM! Wrestling.

CANOE.CA SLAM!