March 9, 2003
WWE product now Rock solid
By TIM BAINES -- Ottawa Sun
Stone Cold Steve Austin wants a piece of The Rock.
And it looks like he\'ll get it at Wrestlemania.
Austin and The Rock stood toe-to-toe this past Monday, during one of RAW\'s most-anticipated moments.
Despite the horrible promo The Rock cut for RAW X, the 10th anniversary special this year, he\'s back on top of his game.
The Rock and The Hurricane were involved in a wonderful backstage exchange Monday.
The Rock chided The Hurricane for his comments before the previous week\'s Battle Royal.
\"You said you were going to toss me over the top rope,\" The Rock said. \"But it was The Rock who tossed your Hamburglar monkey ass over the top rope.
\"All your friends were there ... Grimace ... Mayor McCheese ...\"
Earlier The Rock poked fun at The Coach: \"Who cut your hair, Ray Charles?\"
Austin stormed into the ring, thanked WWE fans and promised to raise more hell than ever before.
You can bet \"business is about to pick up,\"as Jim Ross would say, with The Rock-Austin feud in the next couple of weeks.
- It seems WWE and Goldberg are closing in on a deal ... an agreement that could happen at any moment now. There are still some differences to be worked out. Goldberg is said to want some control over his creative direction. It\'s not likely WWE wants to allow him too much leeway.
- It looks like Kurt Angle will get a long vacation, albeit time off he would rather not have. Angle needs to have neck surgery soon, likely knocking him out of Wrestlemania. Brock Lesnar defeated Paul Heyman in a cage match on Smackdown! and will meet Angle for the WWE title on the next Smackdown! It seems likely Lesnar will win the title and face another opponent (early speculation suggests Chris Benoit) at Wrestlemania. Angle could be sidelined for nearly a year.
- The news also isn\'t good for Triple H\'s Revolution group. Both Randy Orton (broken foot) and Batista (torn triceps) are out of action for awhile. Batista could be out for three months, while Orton will likely have to deal with pain in his foot for the rest of his life.
- Several websites are reporting Chris Jericho\'s band Fozzy has accepted a challenge from Howard Stern. Fozzy will appear on Stern\'s show and perform against the shockjock\'s own band, The Losers. Stern does the vocals for the band, which is purposely bad. Each band will perform the same song in front of judges from the music industry.
- Great news for wrestling fans! SLAM! Wrestling, once one of the website\'s most informative wrestling sources, will return to its former glory sometime soon. Co-creators John Powell and Greg Oliver will be among those who will be returning just in time for Wrestlemania.
- Canadian Professional Wrestling and International Wrestling held another successful event in Hull last Saturday. Iceberg won his hardcore match against Jason, with some help from the colossal F.O.D. The Black Panthers won the CPW tag titles over Thunder and Dave Le Justicier (there will be a rematch April 5 at Rage in the Cage); CPW champ \"Righteous\" Rick Sterling was involved in a non-title gauntlet match against three opponents of his choice, defeating James Tyrell and Freak before he was beaten by his third opponent Johnny \"The Jobber\" Pinmey, who unmasked to reveal himself as \"Dynamite\" Tommy Blade; Pat \"The Highlander\" Hamilton and Guy Sauriol beat The Jokers Wild; Casey \"The Crow\" Katana beat Shane Simmons and Blade beat Psycho.
- Rey Mysterio won a three-way tilt over Tajiri and Jamie Noble on Smackdown! and will get a cruiserweight title shot at Wrestlemania.
- WWE\'s Rodney Mack is Rodney Begnaud in real life and he\'s married to Jazz.
- Booker T will get a shot at The Rock tomorrow on RAW ... and he can\'t wait. \"(The Rock) got off easy the first time (I faced him),\" Booker T told the Sun the other day. \"I\'m ready (for him).\"