World No. 5 Roger Federer pulls out of Rogers Cup in Montreal

Roger Federer at the 2011 Rogers Cup in Montreal. (CHARLES WILLIAM PELLETIER/QMI Agency)

Roger Federer at the 2011 Rogers Cup in Montreal. (CHARLES WILLIAM PELLETIER/QMI Agency)

BRIAN DALY, QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 12:33 PM ET

MONTREAL - Former top-ranked men's tennis player Roger Federer, citing back pain, announced Friday his withdrawal from the $3.2 million Rogers Cup.

"I am disappointed not to be playing in Montreal next week," said Federer, who has dropped to No. 5 on the ATP tour this year.

"It is a great tournament with amazing fans. I look forward to competing there in the future."

Federer won the tournament in 2004 and 2006, both times in Toronto. He also lost in the 2007 final, which was held in Montreal, to current No. 1 Novak Djokovic.

Despite the high-profile withdrawal, the top four players in the world -- Djokovic, second-ranked Brit Andy Murray, and world Nos. 3 and 4 Rafael Nadal and David Ferrer, both of Spain -- are still slated to appear in the Montreal-based tournament.

Earlier this week, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga of France, ranked eighth in the world, said he was skipping Montreal due to an injured left knee.

Canada's best men's player, No. 13 Milos Raonic of Thornhill, Ont., will play his opening Rogers Cup match Tuesday evening at Uniprix Stadium.

The tournament gets underway Saturday with qualifying. It runs until Aug. 11.


Videos

Photos