French soccer president to resign
By MIKE ZEISBERGER, QMI Agency
JOHANNESBURG -- Humiliation, thy name is French soccer.
As the soap opera of France's hapless World Cup squad continues to unfold, the president of the French soccer federation announced Monday he will resign after the "fiasco" that took place in South Africa earlier this month.
In a statement posted on the French soccer federation's website, Jean-Pierre Escalettes said he will step down from his post July 2, leaving behind a side that was eliminated from the tournament in just three games. The French, in fact, scored just one goal in 270 minutes en route to being embarrassed in South Africa.
"I clearly accept my responsibility," Escalettes stated, adding that he would help investigate the "fiasco" that was the team's poor showing at South Africa 2010.
"I shall testify in front of my colleagues on Friday," he said.
The French squad was as much in shambles off the field as it was on it.
Emotions seemed to boil over when manager Raymond Domenech and striker Nicolas Anelka became entangled in a heated shouting match during a 2-0 loss to Mexico. The players, upset at the move, responded by refusing to practise before the team's final opening-round game against South Africa.
Upon arriving home last week, Domenech told the French publication L'Equipe that that players had "tarnished the image of France."
Truth be told, Domenech also had a hand in doing that himself.