Nigeria midfielder Michel Babatunde looks likely to miss the rest of the World Cup after he was struck on the arm by a powerful shot from teammate Ogenyi Onazi in their 3-2 loss to Argentina on Wednesday.
The incident occurred in the 66th minute, with medics bounding up the player's arm while he lay on the pitch before taking him away on a stretcher.
"I think he's got a broken hand and he's going for surgery right now as we speak," Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi said. "So I'm not sure if he's still going to participate in this World Cup. But we'll see how he goes. But it's not good."
The injury marred an otherwise good day for the African champions, who reached the World Cup last 16, despite losing their final Group F game to Argentina.
They qualified as Bosnia beat Iran, meaning the four points the Super Eagles had collected so far were enough to see them through as runner-up.
KAHN UNDERSTANDS SUAREZ
Oliver Kahn, who once nibbled on the neck of a Bundesliga opponent and went after another with a kung-fu-style kick in the same game, believes he understands what is going on inside the head of Luis Suarez.
The former Germany goalkeeper escaped punishment for the twin outbursts against Borussia Dortmund in a 1999 Bundesliga match. A decade later, Kahn admitted he was under so much strain at the time that he lost control.
"That kind of behaviour is usually associated with animals," said Kahn of the Uruguay striker, who is being investigated by FIFA for apparently biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini during a World Cup match on Tuesday.
"In my mind, that's the wrong way to channel your internal tensions," added Kahn, who is now working as a pundit for Germany's ZDF television at the World Cup in Brazil.
"We saw in the last match (against England) that he was nearly crying. Perhaps that behaviour was a last desperate attempt to release some of the enormous pressure building up inside him and it was the only way to let some of the tension out. For me, there's no other explanation."
BENTO STAYING PUT
Portugal coach Paulo Bento has no intention of resigning if his team fail to reach the last sixteen of the World Cup, he said on Wednesday.
Bento's contract runs until 2016 after it was extended in April but a poor performance in Brazil, with only one point from two games in Group G, has led to media speculation over his future.
"I am aware of my responsibilities and, in April, I reached an agreement with the federation which had nothing to do with the results of the World Cup and was connected to our objectives for 2016," he told reporters on the eve of their final group game against Ghana.
"In the face of this fact, I will not step down as coach of the national team whatever happens," he added in a prickly encounter.
ZACCHERONI STEPS DOWN
Alberto Zaccheroni stepped down as Japan coach on Wednesday after taking full responsibility for the Asian champions' group stage exit at the World Cup.
Japan's dismal World Cup campaign ended with a 4-1 defeat by Colombia on Tuesday as they finished bottom of Group C with only one point after an opening loss to Ivory Coast and 0-0 draw with 10-man Greece.
"I really wanted to take us forward and qualify for the second round and I am so disappointed. But I picked the team, decided on the tactics and how we play and I want to take full responsibility," the Italian was quoted as saying by Kyodo News.
"Everyone got together at lunch today and I offered my thanks to all the people that have supported the team. I would select exactly the same players and staff if I had another chance."
The 61-year-old Italian led Japan to a record fourth Asian Cup in 2011 shortly after taking over but his ability to bridge the gap to the world's elite was always his main goal.