|Toronto FC’s Alan Gordon, who tops the club with two goals in five league matches and has two others in Canadian Championship action, continues to be bothered by a sore groin. (MICHAEL PEAKE/QMI Agency Files)
Toronto FC’s leading scorer continues to make progress but will have to sit again on Saturday night against the Chicago Fire.
Alan Gordon, who tops the club with two goals in five league matches and has two others in Canadian Championship action, continues to be bothered by a sore groin.
“He is not fit for tomorrow, we’re watching day-by-day,” said head coach Aron Winter.
Gordon, who ran laps while his teammates took part in training on Friday, said he feels good but is not rushing a return, though he expects to play either on Wednesday or next Saturday.
“I just have to make sure that this time I let myself heal and get to 100% so I don’t have any more problems going forward,” Gordon said.
The 6-foot-3 Long Beach, Calif., native said it has been difficult to play a couple of games, come back briefly and then sit a couple out.
“It’s very frustrating, I was looking to have a good year and was off to a good start.
“It’s really frustrating, there’s not much more I can say about it.”
NEED TO KNOW
Chicago Fire (1-3-4) Toronto FC (2-4-4)
7 p.m. GOLTV
Jon Conway vs. Stefan Frei
Injury to Sean Johnson has opened the door for Conway, who backed up Frei in Toronto last season.
Conway is a reliable veteran who was a good influence on Frei. But the friendship will disappear for 90 minutes on Saturday as each tries to out duel the other.
* Chicago has not won in six games, but has drawn past three.
* Fire one of only two teams below TFC in East standings.
* Teams are 3-3-3 in nine all-time meetings, but TFC crushed Chicago 4-1 at BMO last season.
* Last home game for Reds until May 25th.
* Find last weekend’s magic. Forwards looked solid against Houston but poor against Dallas.
* Watch out for Diego Chaves and Marco Pappa. Pappa has 26 shots already – third in the league, Chaves is fifth with 23. They have combined for seven goals.
* Continue the mastery of the middle. Julian de Guzman and Tony Tchani must continue to play well in the midfield in order to keep Pappa and his mates in check.