TFC sheds three contracts

RYAN WOLSTAT, QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 4:00 PM ET

TORONTO - The revamping of Toronto FC continues.

The team announced on Friday that it will not pick up the 2011 options on veteran defender Nick Garcia, midfielder Amadou Sanyang and forward Fuad Ibrahim.

"This is yet another necessary step as we look toward building our 2011 squad," TFC interim director of soccer Earl Cochrane said in a release.

Garcia is the only one of the three that will be available in Wednesday’s Major League Soccer re-entry draft. It is unlikely anybody selects Garcia though, since his 2010 salary was $198,750 US and he would be owed a similar amount for 2011.

There will be a second round of the re-entry draft on Dec. 15. At that time, clubs can renegotiate contracts and then sign unprotected players.

If he is not selected in either round, TFC retains Garcia’s MLS rights, meaning they can either bring him back at a reduced price, or receive compensation from another team wishing to sign him.

Garcia had long-standing ties to deposed general manager Mo Johnston and coach Preki — who he won a MLS Cup with a decade ago in Kansas City — and prior to his strong bounce-back 2010 campaign, was a target of fan derision thanks to his high salary and penchant for give-aways.

"With Nick we simply couldn't find a way to make him fit within our current budget situation,” Cochrane said.

“If we lose Nick through this re-entry process, we will miss his leadership and experience.”

Ibrahim joined the Reds as a 17-year-old back in 2008 and scored three goals in 26 appearances for the club.

His $264,000 salary wisely was considered excessive.

Sanyang made close to the league minimum and showed promise as an early-season starter, but was plagued by concussion issues which cost him all but 13 games in 2010.

Either could still return to the fold if they don’t sign on elsewhere with the Reds getting limited compensation in return.

Previously, the club lost striker O’Brian White in the expansion draft, traded midfielder Joseph Nane to the Colorado Rapids and let expensive bust Mista return to Spain.

New York’s standout scorer Juan Pablo Angel is the most prominent name available in the re-entry draft, but at 35 years old and with a nearly $2 million dollar salary, he would be a gamble for TFC or any other club.

ryan.wolstat@sunmedia.ca


Videos

Photos