Montreal Impact coach calls it quits
By KURTIS LARSON, QMI Agency
|Jesse Marsch is stepping down as the coach of the Montreal Impact. JOEL LEMAY/AGENCE QMI
TORONTO - After guiding the expansion Montreal Impact to a respectable 12-16-6 record in its first MLS season, first-year head coach Jesse Marsch submitted his resignation Saturday, citing mutual reasons for his release.
Describing the split as an “amicable parting,” Impact owner Joey Saputo spelled out the reasons for Marsch’s departure after the pair apparently had a number of disagreements in recent weeks.
“It was made mutually for the benefit of the club,” Saputo said of the sudden move. “While we had the same long-term objectives … we did not share the same philosophy as how to get there.”
The Impact finished the 2012 season in seventh place in the Eastern Conference with 42 points, 19 ahead of rival Toronto FC, and were well in the playoff race until the final two months of the season.
“I had several discussions with Joey (Saputo) and (club director) Nick (De Santis) on how we could make it work," Marsch said. “The conclusion was that this amicable split was the best solution for the club.”
Following former Canadian national team head coach Stephen Hart’s resignation last month, Marsch could be a candidate for the Canada's top job.