|Germany's national soccer coach Joachim Loew speaks to reporters during a news conference ahead of the Euro 2012 in Gdansk, June 7, 2012. (REUTERS/Thomas Bohlen)
WARSAW - The top five things that teams which always have a chance to win need to do at Euro 2012:
1. Spain: The Spaniards need to overcome the loss of striker David Villa. It's not just the number of goals he has scored, it's the fact he has scored key goals at times when no other Spaniard seemed able to break through.
2. Germany: They need Bastian Schweinsteiger and Mesut Ozil to control the midfield. Germany is the most balanced team in the tournament, but what puts it a cut above is the ability to generate offensive chances.
3. The Netherlands: The Dutch need their defence to play well. They have plenty of depth in the midfield and up front. No matter how good they are offensively they can't score enough if the defence goes south at Euro.
4. England: The English need to overcome age, injuries and a reputation for choking at major events. Their midfield must do more than just create chances. The midfield needs to score.
5. France: The French need to avoid controversy and clubhouse discontent. It has dogged them the past two major tournaments. This is a team flying under the radar. It's a team that has been rebuilt and right now is playing well.