FIFA says head covers OK as long as conditions are met

A logo of the International Federation of Football Association (FIFA) is pictured at the...

A logo of the International Federation of Football Association (FIFA) is pictured at the headquarters building in Zurich. (REUTERS)

QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 10:56 AM ET

Head covers are OK, soccers world governing body said in a statement to the Canadian Soccer Association (CSA) on Friday.

This after the Quebec Soccer Federation (QSF) maintained its ban on turbans earlier this week.

In a release, FIFA outlined the conditions turban-wearing men must meet in order to play the game.

As it relates to Law 4 (the players equipment), "head covers must be of the same colour as a players jersey, be in keeping with the professional appearance of the players equipment, not be attached to the jersey and not pose any danger to the player wearing it or any other player," FIFA wrote in a letter to the CSA.

The CSA ripped away the Quebec federation's sanctioning power on Monday after it banned turbans because of alleged safety concerns.

Those safety concerns, however, havent been outlined by the QSF, drawing the ire of federal politicians and even the owner of Montreal's Major League Soccer franchise.

After being sanctioned, the QSF held an emergency meeting Tuesday evening but decided to maintain the ban.

In a statement, the federation said it hopes to speak with CSA officials for "the fastest possible resolution to this impasse," adding that it would have no further comment.

Meanwhile, Quebec's sports minister says the Quebec federation's decertification could have effects across the country.

Marie Malavoy said the federal body "acted in the worst way" and could jeopardize the Canada Games soccer tournament that gets underway Aug. 3.

Furthermore, with Montreal as a host city for next years under-20 Womens World Cup and the 2015 Womens World Cup, backed by FIFA, the CSA would have the ability to reject Montreal as a host city.

"There are plenty of young people who are preparing to go and suddenly they're told, it won't be for you," she said. "I think young people who are soccer lovers are caught in a controversy."

The federal government blames the Quebec federation for barring observant Sikhs from the pitch.

The Ottawa-based World Sikh Organization of Canada also argues the spat could affect non-Sikh players.

"This entire episode has been completely unnecessary and senseless," said president Prem Singh Vinning, who hasn't ruled out a lawsuit against the Quebec federation.


Videos

Photos