Mon, September 23, 2013

Despatie dives back in with video

By QMI Agency


Alexandre Despatie speaks to the media about his head injury in Montreal, Que., July 15, 2012. (TZARA MAUD/QMI Agency)


Canadian Olympian Alexandre Despatie tweeted video of him practicing the dive that nearly derailed his medal hopes for the London Games.

Despatie was left with a 10-centimetre gash along his forehead and suffered a concussion when he hit the diving board during a training session in Madrid last month. He confirmed on July 5 that he would compete in London then said Tuesday that he had perfectly executed the same dive last Friday while practicing in Rome.

"I'm sharing with you guys the first time i redid "the" dive last friday in Rome #proudmoment #movingforward," Despatie said on his Twitter account and included a link to video of his successful dive.

In the French version of his tweet, Despatie said he was a little emotional after executing the dive that caused his injury.

Despatie travelled to London on Monday and is expected to compete in the three-metre springboard and three-metre synchro events at the Olympics.