Hope ankle Getz better
By DEREK VAN DIEST, QMI Agency
Ryan Getzlaf stated a pretty good case that his ankle is ready for the Olympics.
However the Anaheim Ducks centre will reserve a final decision until Monday.
"In my mind, it's pretty made up, I would obviously would like to be there and I was pretty confident in my foot tonight," Getzlaf said after Sunday's game. "But at the same time, I don't know how it's going to react in the morning. I'm going to meet with Mr. (Steve) Yzerman (Sunday) night when I get there and then we'll probably meet again (Monday) morning."
On Sunday, Getzlaf scored a pair of goals and added two assists in a 7-3 win over the Edmonton Oilers.
It was his first game back since rolling his left ankle last Monday in a win over the Los Angeles Kings. The injury had jeopardized his participation in the Olympic hockey tournament, which gets underway Tuesday.
"I tweaked it right on my first shift, which was not exactly the way I wanted to start the game," said Getzlaf. "But it was a good sign that I was able to skate it off and I was fine after that.
"That proves that I can tweak it a little bit and still be able to perform."
Getzlaf, 24, was the Ducks leading scorer prior to getting hurt, with 15 goals and 42 assists on the season. He's one of three Ducks named to the Canadian Olympic team. Corey Perry and defenceman Scott Niedermayer are also heading to Vancouver.
If Getzlaf is unable to suit up for team Canada, he'll be replaced on the roster by Philadelphia Flyers forward Jeff Carter. The final decision will be made Monday.
"I haven't talked to Carter yet, obviously his situation is a tough one," Getzlaf said. "We're good friends and I'm sure it'll be fine no matter how it turns out."
Getzlaf had taken the pre-game warm-up in Calgary on Saturday, but did not participate in the contest. Canada opens the Olympic tournament Tuesday against Norway.
"We used (Saturday's) warm-up as another ice time where we could test things, see how they were going and what the progression was," Getzlaf said. "It's a process right now and I can't make a decision (on the Olympics) tonight.
"If I wake up in the morning and he's already sent Carter home, that's not fair to the team or to the organization. I have to wait until the morning and see how it reacts."