NASCAR Sprint Cup team owner Richard Childress should be ashamed of himself.
He tackled Kyle Busch after the Camping World Truck series race at Kansas Speedway on Saturday and struck him in the face after putting him in a headlock as a result of Busch’s contact with RCR’s Joey Coulter during the cool-down lap.
Let’s get this straight right away: Childress — owner of Richard Childress Racing — is a 65-year-old man who knows very well that he had 26-year-old Busch in a no-win situation.
If Busch fights back he is seen as picking on a senior citizen and if he doesn’t — as he did not at Kansas — he is seen as a somewhat wimpish.
Well it says here that he is neither. Busch did the right thing by not fighting back against an elderly man more than twice his age.
Busch told SPEED TV that he was walking to his motor coach when confronted by Childress.
“There was an incident in the Truck Series garage, as I was leaving my hauler on my way out to the motor home lot,” Busch said. “Unfortunately, (there) was an altercation between myself and Richard, and NASCAR’s looking into it to decipher all the facts of what happened and everything and make a decision based on all that.”
NASCAR must punish Childress severely for his boorish — bordering on criminal — behaviour.
That punishment is expected to come Monday after NASCAR president Mike Helton put all the blame for the incident on Childress in a statement Sunday.
“We’ve concluded that the driver of the No. 18 truck, Kyle Busch, did nothing to provoke or to cause the reactions that, in our opinion, would have violated probation,” Helton said. “He did nothing that would have warranted the actions of Richard Childress.”
As an interim measure Helton banned Childress from pit lane for Sunday’s STP 400, but that was really just a slap on the wrist.
Could you imagine what the NBA or NHL would do if one of its team owners came down from the stands and pounded on one of the players.
A $1-million fine in this case might not even be enough. Maybe take 43 points — the equivalent of a race win — from each of his NASCAR teams would be a suitable punishment.
Childress should in fact be contacting Busch to thank him for not seeking to have the RCR owner charged with criminal assault, something Busch — to his credit — said he would not pursue.
WEBBER KNOCKS f-1
Formula One Red Bull driver Mark Webber has blasted the FIA for rescheduling the Bahrain Grand Prix after it was cancelled in March because of political upheaval in the desert kingdom.
On his Twitter account just prior to the decision to run the Bahrain race on Oct. 30, Webber wrote: “When people in a country are being hurt, the issues are bigger than sport. Let’s hope the right decision is made.”
Later Webber said that he thought the FIA had made the wrong decision on returning the race to the 2011 calendar and said so in a statement on his website.
“In my personal opinion, the sport should have taken a much firmer stance earlier this year rather than constantly delaying its decision in hope of being able to re-schedule it in 2011,” Webber said.
Danica Patrick’s return to the NASCAR Nationwide series was scored a success after her 10th-place finish in the STP 300 at Chicagoland Speedway Saturday night in the No. 7 JR Motorsports Chevrolet. Patrick started in 16th spot and ran a competent race, helped by a timely caution on lap 140 that put her back on the lead lap. She returns to the IZOD IndyCar Series at Texas next week for the Twin 225s and will return NASCAR in July at Daytona ... In the Grand Am series Sahlen’s Six Hours at The Glen on Saturday, Ricky Taylor held off Scott Pruett by 3.839 seconds ending Ganassi Racing’s three-race win streak in the sports car series.