EDMONTON -- As Canadians, they welcome events in their country.
And for Paul Tracy, having the Honda Indy Edmonton for at least another three years beyond Sunday’s race probably keeps him in the game.
“That’s great, especially with a new promoter coming in,” Tracy said.
“Northlands has done the best job that they could do here and has secured the race for the city.
“Hopefully with the new promoter coming in, it can make the race safe for another three to five years, which is great.”
Octane coming in
On Wednesday, Edmonton city council voted to accept Octane Racing Group’s proposal to operate the event starting next year.
They’ll take over from Northlands, which has been in charge of the event from its inception in 2005.
“It’s great for me, it helps keep me in a seat here and in Toronto,” Tracy said.
“I don’t know much about Octane, but they’ve obviously done big-level races and high-profile races.
“I think it’s going to be the right move for the City of Edmonton to take it to the next level.”
Tracy, 41, is still searching for a full-time ride, having only two previous starts with KV Racing Technology this season.
Last week in Toronto, Tracy had a strong event, finishing 13th, up 11 spots from his starting position.
He, along with Alex Tagliani, will fly the Canadian flag proudly in Sunday’s race. Tagliani, currently 14th in the point standings, finished 17th last week in Toronto.
“I think we have to feel privileged that the series is giving so much importance to the Canadian market,” Tagliani said.
“I think this has become a big event for the city and it’s great that it’ll be staying here in Edmonton.”