Alonso: I’m not gonzo

DEAN MCNULTY, QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 11:36 PM ET

Don’t tell two-time world champion Fernando Alonso that he’s already out of the running for a third title this season.

There were high expectations for the 28-year-old Spaniard when he switched to Ferrari this year and won in his first race of the Formula One season at Bahrain. But since then his best finish was a second in Spain but that was countered by a 13th in Malaysia and an 8th in Turkey.

That leaves Alonso fourth in the championship behind leader Mark Webber, Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton.

“I think we are in a good position to fight for this championship,” Alonso said Friday.

“There were some races better than others but we need to be not too high when we win and not too low when we don’t perform.

“We are in a fight in the middle of the top guys. We need to stay there, stay concentrated and there will be some good races for us.”

Hockey anyone?

Team McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton complained on Friday that he couldn’t get his tires to where he was able to get any grip on the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve track on Île Notre-Dame because the racing surface was like ice.

“It’s very difficult to switch the tires on, to get heat into the tires, and it’s just like being on an ice rink out there it’s so slippery,” the 2008 champion said. “I’m not happy with how this afternoon went — I think today in general the track has just been incredibly difficult.”

Hamilton blamed his poor practice time — 1:17.522 — on what he said was a dirty track.

Formula Penske

Could it be that Mercedes racing boss Norbert Haug has insider knowledge of a new American entry into Formula One?

In an aside, when talking about where the next American F-1 driver might come form, Haug let it slip that in his mind Roger Penske — who owns teams in both NASCAR Sprint Cup and the IZOD IndyCar series — would be the perfect guy to make it happen.

“I could imagine a Penske Mercedes team with, say, Marco Andretti as his driver,” Haug said.


Photos