INDIANAPOLIS -- It's finally official.
On the morning of the Indianapolis 500, the multi-year contract between the IndyCar Series and Edmonton Northlands finally got autographed.
The Rexall Edmonton Indy contract, which Sun Media revealed here earlier this week to be "only a signature away" from being a done deal according to series president Terry Agnstadt, yesterday received his signature along with that of Mark Bamford, chief financial officer of Northlands.
"We weren't sure if we were going to have enough face time to finish it off," said race director Jim Haskins, who is here with a team of Edmonton organizers.
"There was some last minute wording, but no major hurdles," he said.
Haskins said they were saving details of the deal so they'd have something to announce at a press conference planned for Wednesday in Edmonton.
In a Sun Media exclusive last week, Angstadt said the intention was to make the Edmonton deal long-term, that it would end up as the only Champ Car race this year in which drivers from both series would race together and from which points would count to the series standings.
Two other Champ Car races were included in the merger with the Indy Racing League.
The Long Beach Grand Prix ran as the last Champ Car Series race ever earlier this year while the IRL cars raced separately in Japan.
No deal has yet to be signed with the other event, Surfer's Paradise in Australia.
That event, scheduled for late October, would not run as a points race for the series this year.
The Rexall Edmonton Indy is scheduled for July 24-26.