Lacrosse is must-see TV

TY PILSON -- Calgary Sun

, Last Updated: 7:07 AM ET

The inconvenience incurred by moving the National Lacrosse League's all-star game back a day is worth it by the potential to reach tens of millions of new viewers, the Roughnecks say.

That's also the general thought of the National Lacrosse League after confirming yesterday a deal with NBC -- reported last week by the Sun. The network will broadcast this year's all-star game as well as the Champion's Cup final.

The all-star tilt, hosted by the Roughnecks at the Saddledome, had been scheduled for Sunday, Feb. 27, but has been moved to Feb. 26 at noon to accommodate NBC.

That change means a lot of logistical retooling for Roughnecks management. The league will also be busy rescheduling games that were slated for Saturday night.

"It poses challenges for us," said Roughnecks vice-president Bob Poole. "It's not challenges we can't (overcome) but it will be difficult.

"You have to look at the big picture, though, and this is a great opportunity for lacrosse to move from off-Broadway to Broadway. You can't miss that."

So far, Poole said the Roughnecks haven't received many complaints about the date change.

"I've had two calls today, one from a gentleman in Edmonton and one from a gentleman in Vancouver," said Poole. "They had already booked their flights and of course I sympathize with them. But at this stage of the game, there's not much we can do but we will do whatever we can to help."

QUICK STICKS: The Calgary Roughnecks signed local product Derek Tom to the practice roster Tuesday.


Videos

Photos