New batch of charges from Cup riot

MICHAEL MUI, QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 10:13 AM ET

VANCOUVER - They are members of the 100 Club — the "milestone" number of people arrested in connection with last year's devastating June 15 hockey riot that caused millions in damage to downtown Vancouver.

Police touted the figure Tuesday with the announcement of a slew of new charges against 20 more people. To date, 278 offences have been brought against 63 people.

The charges came the same day Ryan Dickinson of Coquitlam, B.C., was expected to be sentenced for his part in last summer’s downtown destruction following a guilty plea earlier this month.

Instead, the case was put over so the new lawyer for the 20-year-old could mount an argument against allowing cameras in the courtroom to document his sentencing on a charge of participating in a riot. His next appearance is Jan. 25.

The new charges are an indication police are not giving up on their hunt for those responsible for the riot.

“As we speak, we are arresting people,” Vancouver police Insp. Les Yeo said. "If you thought we were giving up, we’re not."

Without releasing names, police detailed three new cases, including that of the youngest offender charged.

The 15-year-old, hailing from Surrey, B.C. with an unblemished record, started his alleged “crime spree” around 7:30 p.m., minutes before the Canucks lost the Stanley Cup final. He flipped over a car and then stole an item from the trunk, police said.

The teen then moved down the block and pushed over a toilet. An hour later, when the riot was in full swing, he was seen smashing a police vehicle, cops said.

In another case, a 19-year-old Surrey man, home from university for one night, allegedly joined others as they tried to flip over a parked truck. Video surveillance showed him lighting papers on fire before throwing them into the cab of a truck.

“To investigators' disbelief, on two occasions he was seen flicking lit cigarettes at the pool of gas that was leaking from the overturned truck,” the police synopsis reads.

A third case was that of a 45-year-old convicted criminal who allegedly “went around punching … random people in the head.”

Crown and police officials wouldn’t address ongoing questions about why there’s yet to be anyone jailed some seven months later, or how much the investigation and charges have cost taxpayers to date.

Crown spokesman Neil MacKenzie said charges against another 30 people should be approved by the end of the month, which would mean at least 60 of the 100 accused will appear in court.


Videos

Photos