Here's the latest whispers making the rounds ahead of today's NHL trade deadline:
- Sources say the Ducks and Sharks are in a battle for St. Louis RW Bill Guerin. Both teams are willing to give up a top young player and a No. 1 pick. The Senators and Wings have also made calls, but they can't meet the asking price.
- The Isles are in heavy talks to move LW Jason Blake. A UFA this summer, Blake hasn't had any success getting a contract done and it's believed Detroit is among five teams making a pitch. The Ducks and Wild are also in the chase.
- The Wild and Habs are among a group of teams looking for help in the middle.
- The Hawks, who would also like to move D Adrian Aucoin and D Jassen Cullimore, dealt C Bryan Smolinski to the Canucks last night.
- There's a lot of talk the Panthers are going to try to move RW Todd Bertuzzi to either the Isles or Rangers. That's a risky deal to make because he hasn't returned from back surgery yet and there's no timetable for his return.
- The Phoenix Coyotes are holding a fire sale. G Curtis Joseph, LW Oleg Saprykin, C Jeremy Roenick, RW Owen Nolan, D Nick Boynton, C Mike Ricci and RW Georges Laraque are all available. Laraque has been rumoured to be heading to Pittsburgh, but he isn't the physical force he used to be.