HOW THEY SCORED
1. DEVILS: Gomez wins the draw against McAmmond and goes uncontested to the net. He jumps on a rebound and tucks it in around Emery on the stick side. Devils 1, Sens 0.
2. SENATORS: After Matvichuk gives the puck away, Vermette, jostling with Matvichuk at the edge of the crease, gets his stick on Preissing's shot and deflects it past Brodeur. Sens 1, Devils 1.
3. SENATORS: On the power play, Spezza moves down his off wing and with Heatley screening in front, snaps a shot off the far post and into the net. Sens 2, Devils 1.
4. SENATORS: After Spezza feeds him the puck at blue line, Alfredsson cuts in and fires a shot through Brodeur's pads for a weak goal. Sens 3, Devils 1.
5. DEVILS: Gomez bangs in a rebound past Emery with 40 seconds left. Sens 3, Devils 2.
Selected by Chris Stevenson
Senators goaltender Ray Emery got to the Continental Airlines Arena three hours before the game and found the doors to the dressing room locked ... It took 5:30 for the first shot on goal last night and that is using the term loosely. It was a shot from 74 feet by New Jersey's Jamie Langenbrunner ... Devils coach/GM Lou Lamoriello, who fired coach Claude Julien with three games to go in the regular season, said he has no plans to coach next year. "Last year I said it would never happen again and unfortunately I find myself here," he said. "But (coaching next year) is not in my vocabulary.'' ... Lamoriello stuck with having the John Madden line try to check the Spezza unit and that strategy did not work ... So, the number of teams that have come back from being down 3-1 in a series stays at 20. There have now been 216 teams in that situation.
Sun Rating: Value rating 3 1/2 out of 5