June 15, 2011
Horton makes plea to playBut injured Bruin won't be on ice
By MIKE ZEISBERGER, QMI Agency
VANCOUVER - Despite his plea to get clearance from team doctors, Nathan Horton will not play in Game 7 Wednesday night against the Vancouver Canucks.
"Let me stop this (speculation) right now. He definitely will not be in the lineup," Boston Bruins coach Claude Julien said Wednesday morning.
Horton was carted off the ice early in Game 3 of the Stanley Cup final after getting a concussion from a late hit by the Canucks' Aaron Rome. Rome subsequently received a four-game suspension from the NHL.
There had been speculation Horton wanted to give it a go for Game 7, but Julien quickly nipped such talk in the bud.
Horton did accompany the Bruins to Vancouver and was seen walking along the city's waterfront with teammates Zdeno Chara and Andrew Ference.
"It's great to see him here," Bruins forward Milan Lucic said. "He has brought up everyone's spirits and given us a little motivation."
Raymond still in Boston
Canucks coach Alain Vigneault said injured forward Mason Raymond might be able to return to Vancouver in the next couple of days.
Raymond has been in a Boston hospital with a compressed vertebra after being hurt early in Game 5 Monday. Raymond got tangled up with the Bruins' Johnny Boychuk and went into the boards awkwardly.
"We wish Raymond the best," Julien said. "You never want to see that happen to anyone."
Vigneault said banged-up Canucks defenceman Alex Edler would play in Game 7 ... Jeff Tambellini was to replace Mason on the active roster ... There was speculation defenceman Nolan Baumgartner would be in the Canucks lineup, although it was not known whom he would replace.