RENBERG HOPING FOR A BETTER RUN
Winger Mikael Renberg sees the same bleak playoff stats everyone else does. From 33 points in 43 games as a boisterous young Philadelphia Flyer from 1995-97, to one goal in 10 games as a slump-ridden, injury-ravaged Leaf.
With Renberg set to return to Sweden for good if there's a lockout next season, he's determined to go on a positive note.
"Hopefully, this will be a year where I prove myself and get a little bit of ice time," he said. "The first playoff year I was hurt, the second I didn't play to potential. So it's important for me and the team, because you never know when the next chance to win a Cup will come."
Winger Tom Fitzgerald wasn't going to miss last night's first ever playoffs game for the Nashville Predators.
"When you've been with a team such as Nashville from the ground up as I was, it's nice to see," he said. "They stuck with it, let those guys have the growing pains. Now they're reaping the benefits."
Joe Nieuwendyk, on the other hand, said he won't watch any other series as long as the Leafs are alive.
"I just get too worked up watching game on TV," he said.
Bryan Marchment has faced Brian Leetch for years in the NHL but one aspect of Leetch's game took him aback when they became teammates last month. "I didn't know he hit so much," Marchment said. "The hands and the shot and the passing ability, that was a given. But he has made a couple of big hits since he has been here and that has probably surprised me more than anything."...The Leafs expect to get NHL approval to wear their good luck third jersey in Games 3 and 4. They're on an 8-1-1 streak with the vintage jerseys.
MAPLE LEAFS INJURIES
Shoulder, questionable for Game 1
Abdominal, doubtful for Game 1
Knee, out indefinitely
- Beijing marathoners forced to battle immense smog
- 17 exceptional photos from the first 17 NHL games
- Bee freaks out American gymnast Simone Biles
- Oilers '84: Where are they now?
- Yashin in: NHL players paid to go away
- LeBron James' $17M Miami waterfront mansion up for sale
- Breaking down the NHL's Western Conference
- Breaking down the NHL's Eastern Conference
- Trade Watch: These NHLers could move before the deadline
- Top 10 storylines of the 2014-15 NHL season
- Best and worst sporting goodbyes
- Paulina Gretzky Instagram photos