RENBERG HOPING FOR A BETTER RUN
Winger Mikael Renberg sees the same bleak playoff stats everyone else does. From 33 points in 43 games as a boisterous young Philadelphia Flyer from 1995-97, to one goal in 10 games as a slump-ridden, injury-ravaged Leaf.
With Renberg set to return to Sweden for good if there's a lockout next season, he's determined to go on a positive note.
"Hopefully, this will be a year where I prove myself and get a little bit of ice time," he said. "The first playoff year I was hurt, the second I didn't play to potential. So it's important for me and the team, because you never know when the next chance to win a Cup will come."
Winger Tom Fitzgerald wasn't going to miss last night's first ever playoffs game for the Nashville Predators.
"When you've been with a team such as Nashville from the ground up as I was, it's nice to see," he said. "They stuck with it, let those guys have the growing pains. Now they're reaping the benefits."
Joe Nieuwendyk, on the other hand, said he won't watch any other series as long as the Leafs are alive.
"I just get too worked up watching game on TV," he said.
Bryan Marchment has faced Brian Leetch for years in the NHL but one aspect of Leetch's game took him aback when they became teammates last month. "I didn't know he hit so much," Marchment said. "The hands and the shot and the passing ability, that was a given. But he has made a couple of big hits since he has been here and that has probably surprised me more than anything."...The Leafs expect to get NHL approval to wear their good luck third jersey in Games 3 and 4. They're on an 8-1-1 streak with the vintage jerseys.
MAPLE LEAFS INJURIES
Shoulder, questionable for Game 1
Abdominal, doubtful for Game 1
Knee, out indefinitely
- Justin Verlander Complains about Uber Prices
- Reggie Miller Would Take Jordan on His Worst Day Over Kobe on His Best
- Michael Phelps Pleads Guilty to DUI
- Does Jay Cutler's Benching Mean QB's End with Bears?
- Tom Brady's Teammates Are Terrified of His Touchdown Celebrations
- Should athletes speak out?
- Forces Friday: Remembering the Christmas truce
- Two Buzzer-Beaters During Spurs-Grizzlies Game
- Deion Sanders' Ex-Wife Jailed, Loses Rights to See Kids
- Pilar Sanders Sentenced to Jail Time for Violating Custody Agreement
- LeBron James' Crossover Drops Thabo Sefolosha to the Floor
- NHL Player with Mumps Might Have Given It to Sick Children
- Tongue-in-cheek sports predictions for 2015
- Remembering sports figures who died in 2014
- Jean Beliveau's funeral in Montreal
- Athletes behaving badly: Arrests of 2014
- Prince William and Kate Middleton take in NBA game
- Tumbling trophies and crashing crystal: Broken sports awards
- Every photo you'll ever need from 102nd Grey Cup
- Photos: A Grey Cup Cheerleader Extravaganza
- Top 10 Grey Cup players to watch
- 10 intriguing Grey Cup bets
- Forbes releases 'The NHL's Best Fans' rankings
- Photos: Pat Quinn through the years