VARADA HITS AND RUNS
Don't expect Pat Quinn to join the Vaclav Varada fan club any time soon.
Two days after calling Varada's attempted hit on Mats Sundin in Game 2 "a cheap shot," Quinn continued to rant about the Ottawa Senators pest, who had more than his share of run-ins with the Maple Leafs during his previous stint with the Buffalo Sabres.
Quinn was asked yesterday if he was impressed with the way Sundin stood up to Varada after the incident.
Sundin received a four-minute penalty after he decked Varada in the third period of Toronto's 2-0 victory.
"How are you supposed to stand up to this guy? He's a hit-and-run type of player," Quinn said yesterday after the Leafs' morning skate. "It's the age-old discussion: What can certain people do and get away with?
"He was going to get Mats out of the game either by cutting Mats' legs off or by putting him in the penalty box."
Toronto should have looked for particularly strong games from forwards Joe Nieuwendyk, Darcy Tucker, Alexei Ponikarovsky and defenceman Tomas Kaberle last night. Each of the foursome had at least 10 more road points than home points in the regular season ... The Corel Centre did not bill the Leafs for breaking an overhead neon light before the April 3 regular-season finale when some players got too careless tossing a football around prior to the game ... Just as they do in the regular season, the Leafs have chosen to stay at a hotel in suburban Kanata because of its isolation and proximity to the rink ... General manager John Ferguson would not comment on reports the Leafs are pursuing Junior Lessard, the 2003-04 Hobie Baker award winner as the top player in U.S. college hockey. The Leafs and Montreal Canadiens are among the teams reportedly in the running.
MAPLE LEAFS INJURIES
Knee, out indefinitely
Hamstring, day to day
- Lorde's Song 'Royals' Banned From San Francisco Radio During World Series
- Rookie Lazar Moving in to Chez Phillips
- Air Force Captain proposes to cheerleader during NFL game
- Paul Rudd Invites Royals Fans To Keg Party At His Mom's
- Embattled Coyotes find a buyer
- CFL and the Toronto Argonauts
- Katy Perry Will Play The Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Over the Line?! - Penis punch, creepy mascots and one great speech
- Floyd Mayweather -- I'm Gonna Train Michael Jackson's Son ... To Fight!
- Ex-NFL Star Seth Joyner -- EXPLODES ON YOUTH FOOTBALL TEAM ... Tough Love or Too Far?
- Golf Legend Gary Player -- 5,200 Sit-Ups Per Week ... At 78-Years-Old!!!
- How not to write about women
- Beijing marathoners forced to battle immense smog
- 17 exceptional photos from the first 17 NHL games
- Bee freaks out American gymnast Simone Biles
- Oilers '84: Where are they now?
- Yashin in: NHL players paid to go away
- LeBron James' $17M Miami waterfront mansion up for sale
- Breaking down the NHL's Western Conference
- Breaking down the NHL's Eastern Conference
- Trade Watch: These NHLers could move before the deadline
- Top 10 storylines of the 2014-15 NHL season
- Best and worst sporting goodbyes
- Paulina Gretzky Instagram photos