VARADA HITS AND RUNS
Don't expect Pat Quinn to join the Vaclav Varada fan club any time soon.
Two days after calling Varada's attempted hit on Mats Sundin in Game 2 "a cheap shot," Quinn continued to rant about the Ottawa Senators pest, who had more than his share of run-ins with the Maple Leafs during his previous stint with the Buffalo Sabres.
Quinn was asked yesterday if he was impressed with the way Sundin stood up to Varada after the incident.
Sundin received a four-minute penalty after he decked Varada in the third period of Toronto's 2-0 victory.
"How are you supposed to stand up to this guy? He's a hit-and-run type of player," Quinn said yesterday after the Leafs' morning skate. "It's the age-old discussion: What can certain people do and get away with?
"He was going to get Mats out of the game either by cutting Mats' legs off or by putting him in the penalty box."
Toronto should have looked for particularly strong games from forwards Joe Nieuwendyk, Darcy Tucker, Alexei Ponikarovsky and defenceman Tomas Kaberle last night. Each of the foursome had at least 10 more road points than home points in the regular season ... The Corel Centre did not bill the Leafs for breaking an overhead neon light before the April 3 regular-season finale when some players got too careless tossing a football around prior to the game ... Just as they do in the regular season, the Leafs have chosen to stay at a hotel in suburban Kanata because of its isolation and proximity to the rink ... General manager John Ferguson would not comment on reports the Leafs are pursuing Junior Lessard, the 2003-04 Hobie Baker award winner as the top player in U.S. college hockey. The Leafs and Montreal Canadiens are among the teams reportedly in the running.
MAPLE LEAFS INJURIES
Knee, out indefinitely
Hamstring, day to day
- Lionel Messi Prosecuted for Tax Evasion
- WWE Champ Daniel Bryan Chokes Out Intruder
- Stephen A. Smith Addresses Domestic Violence Comments
- Donald Sterling Loses Big In Court, With No Option To Appeal
- OJ Simpson 'Joins' Dating Website
- Clippers Players Consider Boycotting NBA Season
- Victoria Beckham Owns 13 Engagement Rings
- Peyton Manning Gets Sacked by Son
- Jerry Jones Says He Almost Drafted Johnny Manziel
- U.S. Olympian Joshua Mance -- There's One Porn Star ... I Really Wanna Date!
- Former WWE Champion Daniel Bryan -- SUBDUES Burglar ... WITH SUBMISSION HOLD!!
- Johnny Manziel -- FIRES PIGSKIN THROUGH CAR WINDOW .... Caught On Video
- Roger Federer plays tennis with Lindsey Vonn on glacier
- Germany gets goofy, as the World Cup comes home
- Rihanna, family celebrate with World Cup champions
- The World Cup final, captured in 37 photos
- The best photos from one snoozer of a semifinal
- Brazilians bawling after 7-1 slaughter
- World Cup of Hair
- Top NHL free agents on July 1
- 9 draftees with NHL fathers
- 15 awkward photos from the NHL draft
- 2014 NHL Draft: Meet the league's 30 newest players
- Top 30 prospects of the 2014 NHL draft