VARADA HITS AND RUNS
Don't expect Pat Quinn to join the Vaclav Varada fan club any time soon.
Two days after calling Varada's attempted hit on Mats Sundin in Game 2 "a cheap shot," Quinn continued to rant about the Ottawa Senators pest, who had more than his share of run-ins with the Maple Leafs during his previous stint with the Buffalo Sabres.
Quinn was asked yesterday if he was impressed with the way Sundin stood up to Varada after the incident.
Sundin received a four-minute penalty after he decked Varada in the third period of Toronto's 2-0 victory.
"How are you supposed to stand up to this guy? He's a hit-and-run type of player," Quinn said yesterday after the Leafs' morning skate. "It's the age-old discussion: What can certain people do and get away with?
"He was going to get Mats out of the game either by cutting Mats' legs off or by putting him in the penalty box."
Toronto should have looked for particularly strong games from forwards Joe Nieuwendyk, Darcy Tucker, Alexei Ponikarovsky and defenceman Tomas Kaberle last night. Each of the foursome had at least 10 more road points than home points in the regular season ... The Corel Centre did not bill the Leafs for breaking an overhead neon light before the April 3 regular-season finale when some players got too careless tossing a football around prior to the game ... Just as they do in the regular season, the Leafs have chosen to stay at a hotel in suburban Kanata because of its isolation and proximity to the rink ... General manager John Ferguson would not comment on reports the Leafs are pursuing Junior Lessard, the 2003-04 Hobie Baker award winner as the top player in U.S. college hockey. The Leafs and Montreal Canadiens are among the teams reportedly in the running.
MAPLE LEAFS INJURIES
Knee, out indefinitely
Hamstring, day to day
- 'Rescue' By USC's Josh Shaw Called Into Question
- Yankees Credit 5-Game Winning Streak to Creepy Horse Head Mask
- 13 Players Who Will Poison Your Fantasy Football Team
- Drew Brees Welcomes Baby Girl, Shares Adorable Photo
- USC CB Josh Shaw Injured While Rescuing Nephew
- Chris Bosh Photobombs Matthew McConaughey at Emmy Awards
- Mark Sanchez Speaks Out About Rams Trade Rumors
- Watch Alec Baldwin Catch Stray Ball at US Open
- Marine And Daughter Reunited At Cheerleading Event
- 101-Year-Old Is Oldest Canadian Javelin Thrower
- Charles Barkley's Ice Bucket Challenge-With Marshmallows
- Joe Buck - Troy Aikman Star in Bizarre Spanish Soap Opera
- Pro athletes that look like they could go back to school
- Check out Brandon Marshall's Florida mansion
- SI Swimsuit models complete Ice Bucket Challenge
- Alouettes QB coach Jeff Garcia lists estate for $7.75 million
- WWE wrestlers and UFC fighters turned actors
- Brian Gionta selling Montreal-area home for $1.45 million
- Bouchard ... and 7 other shocking Canadian losses
- Extreme shot put facial expressions at Commonwealth Games
- 20 exceptional Commonwealth Games photos
- Roger Federer plays tennis with Lindsey Vonn on glacier
- Germany gets goofy, as the World Cup comes home
- Rihanna, family celebrate with World Cup champions