VARADA HITS AND RUNS
Don't expect Pat Quinn to join the Vaclav Varada fan club any time soon.
Two days after calling Varada's attempted hit on Mats Sundin in Game 2 "a cheap shot," Quinn continued to rant about the Ottawa Senators pest, who had more than his share of run-ins with the Maple Leafs during his previous stint with the Buffalo Sabres.
Quinn was asked yesterday if he was impressed with the way Sundin stood up to Varada after the incident.
Sundin received a four-minute penalty after he decked Varada in the third period of Toronto's 2-0 victory.
"How are you supposed to stand up to this guy? He's a hit-and-run type of player," Quinn said yesterday after the Leafs' morning skate. "It's the age-old discussion: What can certain people do and get away with?
"He was going to get Mats out of the game either by cutting Mats' legs off or by putting him in the penalty box."
Toronto should have looked for particularly strong games from forwards Joe Nieuwendyk, Darcy Tucker, Alexei Ponikarovsky and defenceman Tomas Kaberle last night. Each of the foursome had at least 10 more road points than home points in the regular season ... The Corel Centre did not bill the Leafs for breaking an overhead neon light before the April 3 regular-season finale when some players got too careless tossing a football around prior to the game ... Just as they do in the regular season, the Leafs have chosen to stay at a hotel in suburban Kanata because of its isolation and proximity to the rink ... General manager John Ferguson would not comment on reports the Leafs are pursuing Junior Lessard, the 2003-04 Hobie Baker award winner as the top player in U.S. college hockey. The Leafs and Montreal Canadiens are among the teams reportedly in the running.
MAPLE LEAFS INJURIES
Knee, out indefinitely
Hamstring, day to day
- Justin Verlander Complains about Uber Prices
- Reggie Miller Would Take Jordan on His Worst Day Over Kobe on His Best
- Michael Phelps Pleads Guilty to DUI
- Does Jay Cutler's Benching Mean QB's End with Bears?
- Tom Brady's Teammates Are Terrified of His Touchdown Celebrations
- Should athletes speak out?
- Forces Friday: Remembering the Christmas truce
- Two Buzzer-Beaters During Spurs-Grizzlies Game
- Deion Sanders' Ex-Wife Jailed, Loses Rights to See Kids
- Pilar Sanders Sentenced to Jail Time for Violating Custody Agreement
- LeBron James' Crossover Drops Thabo Sefolosha to the Floor
- NHL Player with Mumps Might Have Given It to Sick Children
- Tongue-in-cheek sports predictions for 2015
- Remembering sports figures who died in 2014
- Jean Beliveau's funeral in Montreal
- Athletes behaving badly: Arrests of 2014
- Prince William and Kate Middleton take in NBA game
- Tumbling trophies and crashing crystal: Broken sports awards
- Every photo you'll ever need from 102nd Grey Cup
- Photos: A Grey Cup Cheerleader Extravaganza
- Top 10 Grey Cup players to watch
- 10 intriguing Grey Cup bets
- Forbes releases 'The NHL's Best Fans' rankings
- Photos: Pat Quinn through the years