VARADA HITS AND RUNS
Don't expect Pat Quinn to join the Vaclav Varada fan club any time soon.
Two days after calling Varada's attempted hit on Mats Sundin in Game 2 "a cheap shot," Quinn continued to rant about the Ottawa Senators pest, who had more than his share of run-ins with the Maple Leafs during his previous stint with the Buffalo Sabres.
Quinn was asked yesterday if he was impressed with the way Sundin stood up to Varada after the incident.
Sundin received a four-minute penalty after he decked Varada in the third period of Toronto's 2-0 victory.
"How are you supposed to stand up to this guy? He's a hit-and-run type of player," Quinn said yesterday after the Leafs' morning skate. "It's the age-old discussion: What can certain people do and get away with?
"He was going to get Mats out of the game either by cutting Mats' legs off or by putting him in the penalty box."
Toronto should have looked for particularly strong games from forwards Joe Nieuwendyk, Darcy Tucker, Alexei Ponikarovsky and defenceman Tomas Kaberle last night. Each of the foursome had at least 10 more road points than home points in the regular season ... The Corel Centre did not bill the Leafs for breaking an overhead neon light before the April 3 regular-season finale when some players got too careless tossing a football around prior to the game ... Just as they do in the regular season, the Leafs have chosen to stay at a hotel in suburban Kanata because of its isolation and proximity to the rink ... General manager John Ferguson would not comment on reports the Leafs are pursuing Junior Lessard, the 2003-04 Hobie Baker award winner as the top player in U.S. college hockey. The Leafs and Montreal Canadiens are among the teams reportedly in the running.
MAPLE LEAFS INJURIES
Knee, out indefinitely
Hamstring, day to day
- Craig Sager Diagnosed With Leukemia
- Derrick Rose Trolled By Action Figure
- Donovan McNabb Jailed After 2013 Arrest
- Manny Pacquiao Takes His Entourage on Shopping Spree
- Secret Service Threatened to Shoot Mets Mascot
- WWE Fires Back at Nancy Grace
- Project North
- Porsha Willams Turns Herself In to Police
- Jared Lorenzen Cracks Hilarious Joke About NCAA Food Rule
- Lamar Odom's New NBA Contract
- Didier Drogba In His Underwear
- Milwaukee Bucks Sold for Record $550 Million
- Best all-time NHL playoff performers
- Annual post-season goalie rankings
- 16 numbers to help make sense of the NHL playoffs
- Check out our top 10 post-season moments
- Wayne Gretzky selling California mansion
- Here are 15 pro wrestlers we lost too soon
- Introducing the should-be NHL award finalists
- 25 dazzling photos from Spring Training
- 10 biggest names that moved on NHL Trade deadline
- 10 last-minute NHL trade deadline targets
- 2 outdoor games, 20 gorgeous photos
- From top spot to urban rot, Olympic venue legacy varies