DEVILS WON'T VEX LEAFS AGAIN
For the sixth year in a row, the name of a different team will be engraved on the Stanley Cup.
With the elimination of the defending champion New Jersey Devils, a team that has vexed Toronto's Cup path in previous years, the Maple Leafs have hope of filling the void this time.
"On this (Eastern Conference) side, I thought any of the eight teams were capable of winning," Leafs coach Pat Quinn said.
"New Jersey was missing one big part this year (defenceman Scott Stevens, because of a concussion), but I still thought they were a very good team. Philadelphia just put it together and that's not a slight against New Jersey.
It just shows you everything has to fall into place, being lucky, being injury-free."
Don't blame Leafs forward Tom Fitzgerald for feeling homesick today.
It's Patriots Day in Massachusetts, with the Boston Marathon this morning, the Red Sox home to the New York Yankees in the afternoon and the Montreal Canadiens in town for Game 7 against the Bruins.
"It will be nuts, the city of Boston couldn't ask for a better sports day," Fitzgerald, a native of nearby Billerica, said. "Usually, the weather is beautiful in the afternoon for the marathon and the ball game. Then you throw in the hockey game. It will be huge.
"I would go with friends to the finish line of the marathon and then to the ball game. In the summer, when I'm home, I like to take my sons to see the Sox so they can experience Fenway Park before they decide to tear it down."
"I would never do it in any other life. But this is what it's all about for me."
Quinn was talking with Tie Domi in a corridor of the Corel Centre about an hour before the morning skate yesterday when he noticed a camera man from The Score was recording the scene.
When the camera man came too close, Quinn, citing the conversation with Domi was private, demanded the tape be handed over. The camera man complied.
The Leafs had pro scouts attending the end of the other three Eastern Conference series in preparation for a possible second-round series or Eastern final ... Toronto has a Game 6 road record of 4-3 under Quinn after its loss last night.
MAPLE LEAFS INJURIES
Leg, questionable for Game 7
Knee, out indefinitely
- Tiger Woods Practices At Augusta One Week Before Masters
- LeBron James Says He Only Has Three Good Friends in the NBA
- David Beckham - James Corden Star in Hilarious Underwear Commercial Spoof
- Jameis Winston's Throw on Pro Day Causes Receiver to Crash Into TV Crew
- Tom Brady Plays Basketball With Michael Jordan, MJ Talks Some Trash
- See Inside Mike Tyson's Deserted Mansion
- Shaquille O'Neal Takes Shots at Lakers - Clippers at Bieber Roast
- Seahawks QB Russell Wilson Hits Home Run During Rangers Batting Practice
- Tom Brady Cliff Dives While on Vacation, Upsets Patriots Fans
- Manny Pacquiao Dealing With Leg Cramps Ahead of Fight With Floyd Mayweather
- Supermodel Doutzen Kroes Turns Miami Beach Into A Catwalk
- Blake Griffin Pulls off Rare 180-Degree Block
- Top 10 remaining NHL games you won't want to miss
- Every twist, kick and bend from Argos cheerleading tryouts
- Pundits blasted for commenting on anchor's boobs
- Trying out for Argos cheerleading squad
- Cheerleaders, mascots and fans of March Madness
- Will Ferrell sets MLB 'record' at spring training
- PHOTOS: Bouchard, Bieber a couple on the tennis court
- ZEISBERGER: A question for all 30 NHL teams down the stretch
- Mike Zeisberger's 2015 trade deadline primer
- Winnipeg Jets' top 10 trades of all time
- Danielle Knudson is dating Milos Raonic
- Rugby fans dress up for the New Zealand Sevens