DEVILS WON'T VEX LEAFS AGAIN
For the sixth year in a row, the name of a different team will be engraved on the Stanley Cup.
With the elimination of the defending champion New Jersey Devils, a team that has vexed Toronto's Cup path in previous years, the Maple Leafs have hope of filling the void this time.
"On this (Eastern Conference) side, I thought any of the eight teams were capable of winning," Leafs coach Pat Quinn said.
"New Jersey was missing one big part this year (defenceman Scott Stevens, because of a concussion), but I still thought they were a very good team. Philadelphia just put it together and that's not a slight against New Jersey.
It just shows you everything has to fall into place, being lucky, being injury-free."
Don't blame Leafs forward Tom Fitzgerald for feeling homesick today.
It's Patriots Day in Massachusetts, with the Boston Marathon this morning, the Red Sox home to the New York Yankees in the afternoon and the Montreal Canadiens in town for Game 7 against the Bruins.
"It will be nuts, the city of Boston couldn't ask for a better sports day," Fitzgerald, a native of nearby Billerica, said. "Usually, the weather is beautiful in the afternoon for the marathon and the ball game. Then you throw in the hockey game. It will be huge.
"I would go with friends to the finish line of the marathon and then to the ball game. In the summer, when I'm home, I like to take my sons to see the Sox so they can experience Fenway Park before they decide to tear it down."
"I would never do it in any other life. But this is what it's all about for me."
Quinn was talking with Tie Domi in a corridor of the Corel Centre about an hour before the morning skate yesterday when he noticed a camera man from The Score was recording the scene.
When the camera man came too close, Quinn, citing the conversation with Domi was private, demanded the tape be handed over. The camera man complied.
The Leafs had pro scouts attending the end of the other three Eastern Conference series in preparation for a possible second-round series or Eastern final ... Toronto has a Game 6 road record of 4-3 under Quinn after its loss last night.
MAPLE LEAFS INJURIES
Leg, questionable for Game 7
Knee, out indefinitely
- Former NFL Kicker Accused Of Erratic Driving Before Death
- NFL Kicker Bironas Accused Of Erratic Driving Before Death
- It's Ray Rice's Latest Attempt to Overturn His Suspension!
- Inside CRC: Return of a Champion
- Ravens Owner Disputes Credibility Of ESPN's Ray Rice Report
- Jared Cook Shoves Quarterback Austin Davis on Sideline
- Ronda Rousey Says She'll Fight Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox
- Nude Photos Leaked of Gabrielle Union
- Chris Baker's Dirty Tackle on Nick Foles Leads to Massive Fight
- Drew Brees Gets Suplexed by Captain Munnerlyn, Starts Slap Fight
- Angry Tight End Drops Touchdown, Shoves Quarterback
- Angry Tight End, Drops Touchdown, Shoves Quarterback
- The top 50 NHL players for 2014
- Gallery: Prominent athletes and high-profile crime
- Oscar Pistorius trial in photos
- How many points will your NHL team finish with?
- Randle the Handle's NFL Week 1 predictions
- AFC - Randall the Handle's team-by-team breakdown
- Top NFL quarterbacks and pass catchers in 2014
- NFC - Randall the Handle's team-by-team breakdown
- Professional athletes' high school photos
- Pro athletes that look like they could go back to school
- Check out Brandon Marshall's Florida mansion
- SI Swimsuit models complete Ice Bucket Challenge