DEVILS WON'T VEX LEAFS AGAIN
For the sixth year in a row, the name of a different team will be engraved on the Stanley Cup.
With the elimination of the defending champion New Jersey Devils, a team that has vexed Toronto's Cup path in previous years, the Maple Leafs have hope of filling the void this time.
"On this (Eastern Conference) side, I thought any of the eight teams were capable of winning," Leafs coach Pat Quinn said.
"New Jersey was missing one big part this year (defenceman Scott Stevens, because of a concussion), but I still thought they were a very good team. Philadelphia just put it together and that's not a slight against New Jersey.
It just shows you everything has to fall into place, being lucky, being injury-free."
Don't blame Leafs forward Tom Fitzgerald for feeling homesick today.
It's Patriots Day in Massachusetts, with the Boston Marathon this morning, the Red Sox home to the New York Yankees in the afternoon and the Montreal Canadiens in town for Game 7 against the Bruins.
"It will be nuts, the city of Boston couldn't ask for a better sports day," Fitzgerald, a native of nearby Billerica, said. "Usually, the weather is beautiful in the afternoon for the marathon and the ball game. Then you throw in the hockey game. It will be huge.
"I would go with friends to the finish line of the marathon and then to the ball game. In the summer, when I'm home, I like to take my sons to see the Sox so they can experience Fenway Park before they decide to tear it down."
"I would never do it in any other life. But this is what it's all about for me."
Quinn was talking with Tie Domi in a corridor of the Corel Centre about an hour before the morning skate yesterday when he noticed a camera man from The Score was recording the scene.
When the camera man came too close, Quinn, citing the conversation with Domi was private, demanded the tape be handed over. The camera man complied.
The Leafs had pro scouts attending the end of the other three Eastern Conference series in preparation for a possible second-round series or Eastern final ... Toronto has a Game 6 road record of 4-3 under Quinn after its loss last night.
MAPLE LEAFS INJURIES
Leg, questionable for Game 7
Knee, out indefinitely
- Peyton Manning Gets Sacked by Son
- Jerry Jones Says He Almost Drafted Johnny Manziel
- U.S. Olympian Joshua Mance -- There's One Porn Star ... I Really Wanna Date!
- Former WWE Champion Daniel Bryan -- SUBDUES Burglar ... WITH SUBMISSION HOLD!!
- Johnny Manziel -- FIRES PIGSKIN THROUGH CAR WINDOW .... Caught On Video
- Lil Wayne - Ronaldo ... 'It Might Be a Great Partnership' ... Says Common
- Will LeBron James Lose Jersey Sales By Choosing No. 23?
- Nibali Wins Tour De France As Injuries Plague Opponents
- Sideways in Seattle: FD Round 5
- Baseball Hall Of Fame Narrows Eligibility Window
- South Korean Baseball Team Debuts Robotic Fans
- ESPN Host Under Fire For Domestic Abuse Comments
- Roger Federer plays tennis with Lindsey Vonn on glacier
- Germany gets goofy, as the World Cup comes home
- Rihanna, family celebrate with World Cup champions
- The World Cup final, captured in 37 photos
- The best photos from one snoozer of a semifinal
- Brazilians bawling after 7-1 slaughter
- World Cup of Hair
- Top NHL free agents on July 1
- 9 draftees with NHL fathers
- 15 awkward photos from the NHL draft
- 2014 NHL Draft: Meet the league's 30 newest players
- Top 30 prospects of the 2014 NHL draft