DEVILS WON'T VEX LEAFS AGAIN
For the sixth year in a row, the name of a different team will be engraved on the Stanley Cup.
With the elimination of the defending champion New Jersey Devils, a team that has vexed Toronto's Cup path in previous years, the Maple Leafs have hope of filling the void this time.
"On this (Eastern Conference) side, I thought any of the eight teams were capable of winning," Leafs coach Pat Quinn said.
"New Jersey was missing one big part this year (defenceman Scott Stevens, because of a concussion), but I still thought they were a very good team. Philadelphia just put it together and that's not a slight against New Jersey.
It just shows you everything has to fall into place, being lucky, being injury-free."
Don't blame Leafs forward Tom Fitzgerald for feeling homesick today.
It's Patriots Day in Massachusetts, with the Boston Marathon this morning, the Red Sox home to the New York Yankees in the afternoon and the Montreal Canadiens in town for Game 7 against the Bruins.
"It will be nuts, the city of Boston couldn't ask for a better sports day," Fitzgerald, a native of nearby Billerica, said. "Usually, the weather is beautiful in the afternoon for the marathon and the ball game. Then you throw in the hockey game. It will be huge.
"I would go with friends to the finish line of the marathon and then to the ball game. In the summer, when I'm home, I like to take my sons to see the Sox so they can experience Fenway Park before they decide to tear it down."
"I would never do it in any other life. But this is what it's all about for me."
Quinn was talking with Tie Domi in a corridor of the Corel Centre about an hour before the morning skate yesterday when he noticed a camera man from The Score was recording the scene.
When the camera man came too close, Quinn, citing the conversation with Domi was private, demanded the tape be handed over. The camera man complied.
The Leafs had pro scouts attending the end of the other three Eastern Conference series in preparation for a possible second-round series or Eastern final ... Toronto has a Game 6 road record of 4-3 under Quinn after its loss last night.
MAPLE LEAFS INJURIES
Leg, questionable for Game 7
Knee, out indefinitely
- Lorde's Song 'Royals' Banned From San Francisco Radio During World Series
- Rookie Lazar Moving in to Chez Phillips
- Air Force Captain proposes to cheerleader during NFL game
- Paul Rudd Invites Royals Fans To Keg Party At His Mom's
- Embattled Coyotes find a buyer
- CFL and the Toronto Argonauts
- Katy Perry Will Play The Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Over the Line?! - Penis punch, creepy mascots and one great speech
- Floyd Mayweather -- I'm Gonna Train Michael Jackson's Son ... To Fight!
- Ex-NFL Star Seth Joyner -- EXPLODES ON YOUTH FOOTBALL TEAM ... Tough Love or Too Far?
- Golf Legend Gary Player -- 5,200 Sit-Ups Per Week ... At 78-Years-Old!!!
- How not to write about women
- Beijing marathoners forced to battle immense smog
- 17 exceptional photos from the first 17 NHL games
- Bee freaks out American gymnast Simone Biles
- Oilers '84: Where are they now?
- Yashin in: NHL players paid to go away
- LeBron James' $17M Miami waterfront mansion up for sale
- Breaking down the NHL's Western Conference
- Breaking down the NHL's Eastern Conference
- Trade Watch: These NHLers could move before the deadline
- Top 10 storylines of the 2014-15 NHL season
- Best and worst sporting goodbyes
- Paulina Gretzky Instagram photos