DEVILS WON'T VEX LEAFS AGAIN
For the sixth year in a row, the name of a different team will be engraved on the Stanley Cup.
With the elimination of the defending champion New Jersey Devils, a team that has vexed Toronto's Cup path in previous years, the Maple Leafs have hope of filling the void this time.
"On this (Eastern Conference) side, I thought any of the eight teams were capable of winning," Leafs coach Pat Quinn said.
"New Jersey was missing one big part this year (defenceman Scott Stevens, because of a concussion), but I still thought they were a very good team. Philadelphia just put it together and that's not a slight against New Jersey.
It just shows you everything has to fall into place, being lucky, being injury-free."
Don't blame Leafs forward Tom Fitzgerald for feeling homesick today.
It's Patriots Day in Massachusetts, with the Boston Marathon this morning, the Red Sox home to the New York Yankees in the afternoon and the Montreal Canadiens in town for Game 7 against the Bruins.
"It will be nuts, the city of Boston couldn't ask for a better sports day," Fitzgerald, a native of nearby Billerica, said. "Usually, the weather is beautiful in the afternoon for the marathon and the ball game. Then you throw in the hockey game. It will be huge.
"I would go with friends to the finish line of the marathon and then to the ball game. In the summer, when I'm home, I like to take my sons to see the Sox so they can experience Fenway Park before they decide to tear it down."
"I would never do it in any other life. But this is what it's all about for me."
Quinn was talking with Tie Domi in a corridor of the Corel Centre about an hour before the morning skate yesterday when he noticed a camera man from The Score was recording the scene.
When the camera man came too close, Quinn, citing the conversation with Domi was private, demanded the tape be handed over. The camera man complied.
The Leafs had pro scouts attending the end of the other three Eastern Conference series in preparation for a possible second-round series or Eastern final ... Toronto has a Game 6 road record of 4-3 under Quinn after its loss last night.
MAPLE LEAFS INJURIES
Leg, questionable for Game 7
Knee, out indefinitely
- Carrie Underwood is Pregnant
- 49ers DE Ray McDonald Arrested For Domestic Abuse
- Michael Sam's Uncertain (But Hopeful) NFL Future
- Peyton Manning Goes Off On D.J. Swearinger
- 5 Best NBA Cartoons Memes
- Fury prepare to host Tampa Bay Saturday night at TD Place
- USC Coach Steve Sarkisian Responds to Racism Accusation
- Jesús Montero Throws Ice Cream Sandwich at Heckling Scout, Confronts Him With Bat
- Inside CRC: Beland In-Car at Rallye Baie Des Chaleurs 2014
- Johnny Manziel Plays Aerobics Instructor In Hilarious Snickers Commercial
- Adrian Peterson Says He Wants to Play for Cowboys
- Stamps roll out new signature jersey
- Professional athletes' high school photos
- Pro athletes that look like they could go back to school
- Check out Brandon Marshall's Florida mansion
- SI Swimsuit models complete Ice Bucket Challenge
- Alouettes QB coach Jeff Garcia lists estate for $7.75 million
- WWE wrestlers and UFC fighters turned actors
- Brian Gionta selling Montreal-area home for $1.45 million
- Bouchard ... and 7 other shocking Canadian losses
- Extreme shot put facial expressions at Commonwealth Games
- 20 exceptional Commonwealth Games photos
- Roger Federer plays tennis with Lindsey Vonn on glacier
- Germany gets goofy, as the World Cup comes home