NOLAN AVOIDS SURGERY ON KNEE
MAPLE LEAFS winger Owen Nolan was a happy guy when he addressed the media yesterday morning, and no wonder.
On Monday, he learned after an MRI that he did not require surgery on his damaged right knee.
Nolan confirmed speculation that he was hoping to return by the latter half of the second round against the Philadelphia Flyers.
"Everything is healing great, and I'm still ahead of schedule," Nolan said after taking part in the morning skate. "I still have soreness, and I get pain when I try to overdo it. It's a matter of getting conditioning back and making sure it keeps healing.
"The doctors said I can be a little more aggressive and start pushing a little bit."
Nolan got hurt March 27 in a game against the Ottawa Senators when he checked Bryan Smolinski.
GM BASKS IN GLOW
General manager John Ferguson basked in the glow of his first series win last night, taking congratulations from Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. chairman Larry Tanenbaum and other dignitaries in the jubilant dressing room.
"I'm tremendously pleased with our club, top to bottom," he said as the fourth of an anticipated 16 pucks was mounted on a plain blue mural above the door. "We're on track."
He was aware the team had won playoff series without injured stars before, but it caused him consternation nonetheless not having Mats Sundin and Owen Nolan around.
"I'm not comfortable with that approach," he said with a laugh. "But give our guys credit. All year there was opportunity. People exploited it and succeeded. There's no change with Mats. When he's ready we'll have a spot for him."
SUCKING UP SITTING
Drake Berehowsky was one of a handful of Leafs who did not play in the first round despite being healthy.
"Everybody has accepted their role on this team," Berehowsky said. "It's a tough situation, but we were ready if we got the call."
MAPLE LEAFS INJURIES
Leg, day to day
Knee, out indefinitely
- UConn Takes Down Kentucky For NCAA Championship Title
- Worst Team In The NBA Sells For $550M
- Behind the Scenes of Paulina Gretzky's Controversial Shoot
- Brooklyn Minor League Team Hosting 'Seinfeld Night'
- Mike Napoli Dislocates Finger On Slide
- Peyton Manning on Super Bowl Loss
- Tennis Player Warned for Yelling 'Son of a Biscuit'
- Yasiel Puig's Terrifying Coming-To-America Tale
- Ultimate Warrior's Wife Speaks Out About His Death
- NCAA Approves Unlimited Meals for Student-Athletes
- Lorde Finally Meets George Brett
- Neymar - Wilshere Star in Ad Celebrating 20 Years of Nike F.C.
- Best all-time NHL playoff performers
- Annual post-season goalie rankings
- 16 numbers to help make sense of the NHL playoffs
- Check out our top 10 post-season moments
- Wayne Gretzky selling California mansion
- Here are 15 pro wrestlers we lost too soon
- Introducing the should-be NHL award finalists
- 25 dazzling photos from Spring Training
- 10 biggest names that moved on NHL Trade deadline
- 10 last-minute NHL trade deadline targets
- 2 outdoor games, 20 gorgeous photos
- From top spot to urban rot, Olympic venue legacy varies