NOLAN AVOIDS SURGERY ON KNEE
MAPLE LEAFS winger Owen Nolan was a happy guy when he addressed the media yesterday morning, and no wonder.
On Monday, he learned after an MRI that he did not require surgery on his damaged right knee.
Nolan confirmed speculation that he was hoping to return by the latter half of the second round against the Philadelphia Flyers.
"Everything is healing great, and I'm still ahead of schedule," Nolan said after taking part in the morning skate. "I still have soreness, and I get pain when I try to overdo it. It's a matter of getting conditioning back and making sure it keeps healing.
"The doctors said I can be a little more aggressive and start pushing a little bit."
Nolan got hurt March 27 in a game against the Ottawa Senators when he checked Bryan Smolinski.
GM BASKS IN GLOW
General manager John Ferguson basked in the glow of his first series win last night, taking congratulations from Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. chairman Larry Tanenbaum and other dignitaries in the jubilant dressing room.
"I'm tremendously pleased with our club, top to bottom," he said as the fourth of an anticipated 16 pucks was mounted on a plain blue mural above the door. "We're on track."
He was aware the team had won playoff series without injured stars before, but it caused him consternation nonetheless not having Mats Sundin and Owen Nolan around.
"I'm not comfortable with that approach," he said with a laugh. "But give our guys credit. All year there was opportunity. People exploited it and succeeded. There's no change with Mats. When he's ready we'll have a spot for him."
SUCKING UP SITTING
Drake Berehowsky was one of a handful of Leafs who did not play in the first round despite being healthy.
"Everybody has accepted their role on this team," Berehowsky said. "It's a tough situation, but we were ready if we got the call."
MAPLE LEAFS INJURIES
Leg, day to day
Knee, out indefinitely
- Serena Williams' Remake of Beyonce's '7/11' Video Is Awesome
- Odell Beckham Jr. Throwing Down Crazy Dunks at ASU
- George Hill Hits Game-Winner to Sink the Wizards
- Over The Line?! -- Death in the ring, McDavid's drinka nd more
- Caroline Wozniacki Gives First In-Depth Interview About Rory McIlroy Breakup
- Jimmy Kimmel Hilariously Tests People's March Madness Knowledge
- Wisconsin's Nigel Hayes' Embarassing Whisper Caught During Press Conference
- Tim Duncan Wins $100 Bet For Rare 3-Pointer in Spurs' Win Over Thunder
- Why The NHL's Concussion Problem Is Overshadowed
- Don't be 'that' sports parent | On Parenting
- Ronda Rousey Demonstrates Signature 'Armbar' Move on Jimmy Fallon
- Adidas Didn't Sign Michael Jordan Because He Was Too Short
- Pundits blasted for commenting on anchor's boobs
- Trying out for Argos cheerleading squad
- Cheerleaders, mascots and fans of March Madness
- Will Ferrell sets MLB 'record' at spring training
- PHOTOS: Bouchard, Bieber a couple on the tennis court
- ZEISBERGER: A question for all 30 NHL teams down the stretch
- Mike Zeisberger's 2015 trade deadline primer
- Winnipeg Jets' top 10 trades of all time
- Danielle Knudson is dating Milos Raonic
- Rugby fans dress up for the New Zealand Sevens
- Been there, done that - meet A-Rod's exes
- The Covers: 50 years of SI's swimsuit issue