NOLAN AVOIDS SURGERY ON KNEE
MAPLE LEAFS winger Owen Nolan was a happy guy when he addressed the media yesterday morning, and no wonder.
On Monday, he learned after an MRI that he did not require surgery on his damaged right knee.
Nolan confirmed speculation that he was hoping to return by the latter half of the second round against the Philadelphia Flyers.
"Everything is healing great, and I'm still ahead of schedule," Nolan said after taking part in the morning skate. "I still have soreness, and I get pain when I try to overdo it. It's a matter of getting conditioning back and making sure it keeps healing.
"The doctors said I can be a little more aggressive and start pushing a little bit."
Nolan got hurt March 27 in a game against the Ottawa Senators when he checked Bryan Smolinski.
GM BASKS IN GLOW
General manager John Ferguson basked in the glow of his first series win last night, taking congratulations from Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. chairman Larry Tanenbaum and other dignitaries in the jubilant dressing room.
"I'm tremendously pleased with our club, top to bottom," he said as the fourth of an anticipated 16 pucks was mounted on a plain blue mural above the door. "We're on track."
He was aware the team had won playoff series without injured stars before, but it caused him consternation nonetheless not having Mats Sundin and Owen Nolan around.
"I'm not comfortable with that approach," he said with a laugh. "But give our guys credit. All year there was opportunity. People exploited it and succeeded. There's no change with Mats. When he's ready we'll have a spot for him."
SUCKING UP SITTING
Drake Berehowsky was one of a handful of Leafs who did not play in the first round despite being healthy.
"Everybody has accepted their role on this team," Berehowsky said. "It's a tough situation, but we were ready if we got the call."
MAPLE LEAFS INJURIES
Leg, day to day
Knee, out indefinitely
- Top two lines lead way for Knights
- This #WomanCrushWednesday Belongs to Katy Perry Because She Just Booked the Super Bowl
- Jon Jones -- I Believe Bill Cosby ... He's Too Classy To Be a Rapist
- Khloe Kardashian and Lamar Odom's Divorce May be Auto-Dismissed
- Maple Leafs fans sing US anthem after tech glitch
- All about them Leafs
- Justin Timberlake Owns Fan on Twitter For 'Bandwagon' Comment
- Justin Bieber's Childhood Home Listed For Affordable $279K
- Over the Line?! -Luongo pranks Kim K, sexy sailorette, and a beer scandal
- Amanda Seyfried, Taylor Swift And Kate Upton Hit The Knicks games
- Menzoid vs. jersey sponsorship
- Noureen DeWulf says Charlie Sheen was delighted by her pregnancy but is chatting to an unborn weird?
- Forbes releases 'The NHL's Best Fans' rankings
- Photos: Pat Quinn through the years
- Ottawa Senators add teen Jonathan Pitre to scouting staff
- 10 former NHLers eligible for '15 Hockey Hall of Fame
- Jason Collins and 11 other prominent gay athletes
- Ibrahimovic, Cahill, van Persie on shortlist for FIFA's annual best goal award
- Vancouver's Green Men top list of the most famous incidents involving hockey fans
- 20 of the coolest NHL goalie masks this season
- Porn stars linked to professional sports stars
- MLB team-by-team biggest disappointments
- Scary Sports? Athletes show off their Halloween costumes
- Giants fans take to streets after World Series win