NOLAN AVOIDS SURGERY ON KNEE
MAPLE LEAFS winger Owen Nolan was a happy guy when he addressed the media yesterday morning, and no wonder.
On Monday, he learned after an MRI that he did not require surgery on his damaged right knee.
Nolan confirmed speculation that he was hoping to return by the latter half of the second round against the Philadelphia Flyers.
"Everything is healing great, and I'm still ahead of schedule," Nolan said after taking part in the morning skate. "I still have soreness, and I get pain when I try to overdo it. It's a matter of getting conditioning back and making sure it keeps healing.
"The doctors said I can be a little more aggressive and start pushing a little bit."
Nolan got hurt March 27 in a game against the Ottawa Senators when he checked Bryan Smolinski.
GM BASKS IN GLOW
General manager John Ferguson basked in the glow of his first series win last night, taking congratulations from Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. chairman Larry Tanenbaum and other dignitaries in the jubilant dressing room.
"I'm tremendously pleased with our club, top to bottom," he said as the fourth of an anticipated 16 pucks was mounted on a plain blue mural above the door. "We're on track."
He was aware the team had won playoff series without injured stars before, but it caused him consternation nonetheless not having Mats Sundin and Owen Nolan around.
"I'm not comfortable with that approach," he said with a laugh. "But give our guys credit. All year there was opportunity. People exploited it and succeeded. There's no change with Mats. When he's ready we'll have a spot for him."
SUCKING UP SITTING
Drake Berehowsky was one of a handful of Leafs who did not play in the first round despite being healthy.
"Everybody has accepted their role on this team," Berehowsky said. "It's a tough situation, but we were ready if we got the call."
MAPLE LEAFS INJURIES
Leg, day to day
Knee, out indefinitely
- 49ers DE Ray McDonald Arrested For Domestic Abuse
- Michael Sam's Uncertain (But Hopeful) NFL Future
- Peyton Manning Goes Off On D.J. Swearinger
- 5 Best NBA Cartoons Memes
- Fury prepare to host Tampa Bay Saturday night at TD Place
- USC Coach Steve Sarkisian Responds to Racism Accusation
- Jesús Montero Throws Ice Cream Sandwich at Heckling Scout, Confronts Him With Bat
- Inside CRC: Beland In-Car at Rallye Baie Des Chaleurs 2014
- Johnny Manziel Plays Aerobics Instructor In Hilarious Snickers Commercial
- Adrian Peterson Says He Wants to Play for Cowboys
- Stamps roll out new signature jersey
- Top 3 Best Sports Commercials Airing Right Now
- Professional athletes' high school photos
- Pro athletes that look like they could go back to school
- Check out Brandon Marshall's Florida mansion
- SI Swimsuit models complete Ice Bucket Challenge
- Alouettes QB coach Jeff Garcia lists estate for $7.75 million
- WWE wrestlers and UFC fighters turned actors
- Brian Gionta selling Montreal-area home for $1.45 million
- Bouchard ... and 7 other shocking Canadian losses
- Extreme shot put facial expressions at Commonwealth Games
- 20 exceptional Commonwealth Games photos
- Roger Federer plays tennis with Lindsey Vonn on glacier
- Germany gets goofy, as the World Cup comes home