NOLAN AVOIDS SURGERY ON KNEE
MAPLE LEAFS winger Owen Nolan was a happy guy when he addressed the media yesterday morning, and no wonder.
On Monday, he learned after an MRI that he did not require surgery on his damaged right knee.
Nolan confirmed speculation that he was hoping to return by the latter half of the second round against the Philadelphia Flyers.
"Everything is healing great, and I'm still ahead of schedule," Nolan said after taking part in the morning skate. "I still have soreness, and I get pain when I try to overdo it. It's a matter of getting conditioning back and making sure it keeps healing.
"The doctors said I can be a little more aggressive and start pushing a little bit."
Nolan got hurt March 27 in a game against the Ottawa Senators when he checked Bryan Smolinski.
GM BASKS IN GLOW
General manager John Ferguson basked in the glow of his first series win last night, taking congratulations from Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. chairman Larry Tanenbaum and other dignitaries in the jubilant dressing room.
"I'm tremendously pleased with our club, top to bottom," he said as the fourth of an anticipated 16 pucks was mounted on a plain blue mural above the door. "We're on track."
He was aware the team had won playoff series without injured stars before, but it caused him consternation nonetheless not having Mats Sundin and Owen Nolan around.
"I'm not comfortable with that approach," he said with a laugh. "But give our guys credit. All year there was opportunity. People exploited it and succeeded. There's no change with Mats. When he's ready we'll have a spot for him."
SUCKING UP SITTING
Drake Berehowsky was one of a handful of Leafs who did not play in the first round despite being healthy.
"Everybody has accepted their role on this team," Berehowsky said. "It's a tough situation, but we were ready if we got the call."
MAPLE LEAFS INJURIES
Leg, day to day
Knee, out indefinitely
- Knicks Meet With Phil Jackson, Woodson Preps For Playoffs(?)
- Leafs Prepare For The Flyers
- NFL Star Darren Sharper Admitted Rape?
- David Beckham Shows Off Harper Tattoo In New Fragrance Ad
- Terrell Owens Estranged Wife Seeking Alimony...For 72 Hour Marriage!
- Brett Favre Is Insanely Jacked!
- Did Bob Costas Get Pink Eye From A Botched Botox Procedure?
- Nationals optimism, Redskins franchise Orakpo and Wizards climb over .500
- Fister, McLouth bolster rotation and depth for Nationals
- Which player is most important to Nationals' success this year?
- Ronda Rousey Challenges Floyd Mayweather Jr. To A Fight
- NCAA Adjusts Targeting Rule, Nixes 10-Second Proposal
- 25 dazzling photos from Spring Training
- 10 biggest names that moved on NHL Trade deadline
- 10 last-minute NHL trade deadline targets
- 2 outdoor games, 20 gorgeous photos
- From top spot to urban rot, Olympic venue legacy varies
- Spring training facial hair in mid-season form
- Sidney Crosby, Carey Price highlight NHL all-star fan vote
- Rain, tornado warning halts Daytona 500 after 38 laps
- 12 prominent gay athletes
- Barbegazi Winter Action Sports Festival
- 30 Winter Olympic hotties
- Roberto Alomar selling Tampa mansion for $6.55 million