FITZGERALD APPRECIATES LEETCH'S PLAY
Put Tom Fitzgerald in the burgeoning group of Brian Leetch fans.
"I have played against him so long, I don't want to say anything has surprised me (about Leetch), but I am in awe when he is killing penalties," Fitzgerald said. "He is not afraid to sacrifice his body. He goes down, blocks shots, throws his body around. He knows he is going to get hit, but somehow comes up with the puck."
Leetch was second on the Maple Leafs in ice time during the first round of the playoffs with an average of 29 minutes five seconds in the seven games. His defence partner, Bryan McCabe, led the team with 29 minutes 29 seconds. Both were instrumental as the Leafs held the vaunted Ottawa Senators power play to only three goals on 35 chances.
At 6-foot-4, 224 pounds, Leafs forward Chad Kilger knows he probably could use his size more often. Toronto will need it against the big, physical Philadelphia Flyers.
"I was not here last year but I watched the series (on TV) and know how physical it was, and I am sure this series is going to be similar," Kilger said. "We have a lot of physical players and I think we can match them."
TURNING OVER NEW LEAFS
Gone from the Toronto lineup that faced the Flyers last season in the playoffs are forwards Travis Green, Jonas Hoglund, Paul Healey and Shayne Corson, plus defencemen Robert Svehla, Jyrki Lumme, Glen Wesley and Phil Housley. The Flyers have bid adieu to goaltender Roman Cechmanek, defencemen Chris Therien, Eric Desjardins (hurt), Dmitry Yushkevich and Eric Weinrich. Forwards Claude Lapointe (rehab) and Justin Williams also are gone.
MAPLE LEAFS INJURIES
Leg, day to day
Right knee, out indefinitely
- NHL Player with Mumps Might Have Given It to Sick Children
- Drake Takes over Raptors Game, Introduces Players
- Senator Lazar plays at the World Juniors
- Ashton Kutcher Could Compete in Jiu-Jitsu
- How MLB Could Benefit From U.S.-Cuba Talks
- Warriors' Andre Iguodala Hilariously Mocks Ref for Not Calling Blatant Foul
- Jets Owner Accidentally Favorites Tweet About Firing Team's GM John Idzik
- J.J. Watt Receives Autographed Jersey from Confident 7-Year-Old
- Tom Brady's Cussing Has Led to Viewers Filing Complaints with FCC
- Colts QB Andrew Luck Compliments Opponents Instead of Trash-Talking
- Heisman Winner Marcus Mariota Pokes Fun at Jets - Giants on David Letterman
- Referee Gets Knocked Over on 'Monday Night Football'
- Remembering sports figures who died in 2014
- Jean Beliveau's funeral in Montreal
- Athletes behaving badly: Arrests of 2014
- Prince William and Kate Middleton take in NBA game
- Tumbling trophies and crashing crystal: Broken sports awards
- Every photo you'll ever need from 102nd Grey Cup
- Photos: A Grey Cup Cheerleader Extravaganza
- Top 10 Grey Cup players to watch
- 10 intriguing Grey Cup bets
- Forbes releases 'The NHL's Best Fans' rankings
- Photos: Pat Quinn through the years
- Ottawa Senators add teen Jonathan Pitre to scouting staff