'BEST DAY' IN NOLAN'S RECOVERY
The two injured Toronto forwards remain on the sidelines, though Owen Nolan looked spry in line rushes during yesterday's morning skate. It's possible he could play late in the Eastern Conference semi-final as his right knee ligament damage heals.
"There haven't been huge strides, but (yesterday) was probably my best day," Nolan said. "There's no timetable. It's all about feel."
After two days of skating, possibly as a ruse to the Ottawa Senators to distract them in Game 7, Maple Leafs captain Mats Sundin was not in the morning workout to test his left leg muscle injury.
"There has been some progress," coach Pat Quinn said.
"As we said before, he'll play when he's ready and he's not ready."
TRAFFIC COPS WANTED
Quinn was not impressed with the liberties the Philadelphia Flyers took with goalie Ed Belfour during their Eastern Conference quarter-final a year ago.
"They're going to get traffic in front of the net, that's one of their strengths," Quinn said. "Ottawa did the same thing as the last series went on.
"(Those tactics) were a sore point with me last year. If they are not going to call that stuff, I don't really know what's going to happen."
Count on this happening -- Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock will keep sending his forwards into Belfour's face whenever possible.
Leafs forward Alexei Ponikarovsky credits Krusty the Klown and his friends for improving his English this year.
"It comes from watching The Simpsons, Seinfeld, everything," Ponikarovsky said.
You could tell the snoop-sensitive Leafs had arrived in town yesterday. They had security block off normal access routes near their dressing room, inconveniencing Wachovia Center employees who were trying to prepare for the game ... The Leafs and Flyers' regular-season penalty-killing was separated by one-tenth of a percentage point, 83.4% to 83.3%.
MAPLE LEAFS INJURIES
Leg, day to day
Right knee, out indefinitely
- Strombo a sports guy?
- Jennifer Aniston Would Like To Have Gisele's Body for 24 Hours
- Detroit Lions Owner Dead At 88
- Knicks Meet With Phil Jackson, Woodson Preps For Playoffs(?)
- Leafs Prepare For The Flyers
- NFL Star Darren Sharper Admitted Rape?
- David Beckham Shows Off Harper Tattoo In New Fragrance Ad
- Terrell Owens Estranged Wife Seeking Alimony...For 72 Hour Marriage!
- Brett Favre Is Insanely Jacked!
- Did Bob Costas Get Pink Eye From A Botched Botox Procedure?
- Nationals optimism, Redskins franchise Orakpo and Wizards climb over .500
- Fister, McLouth bolster rotation and depth for Nationals
- 25 dazzling photos from Spring Training
- 10 biggest names that moved on NHL Trade deadline
- 10 last-minute NHL trade deadline targets
- 2 outdoor games, 20 gorgeous photos
- From top spot to urban rot, Olympic venue legacy varies
- Spring training facial hair in mid-season form
- Sidney Crosby, Carey Price highlight NHL all-star fan vote
- Rain, tornado warning halts Daytona 500 after 38 laps
- 12 prominent gay athletes
- Barbegazi Winter Action Sports Festival
- 30 Winter Olympic hotties
- Roberto Alomar selling Tampa mansion for $6.55 million