'BEST DAY' IN NOLAN'S RECOVERY
The two injured Toronto forwards remain on the sidelines, though Owen Nolan looked spry in line rushes during yesterday's morning skate. It's possible he could play late in the Eastern Conference semi-final as his right knee ligament damage heals.
"There haven't been huge strides, but (yesterday) was probably my best day," Nolan said. "There's no timetable. It's all about feel."
After two days of skating, possibly as a ruse to the Ottawa Senators to distract them in Game 7, Maple Leafs captain Mats Sundin was not in the morning workout to test his left leg muscle injury.
"There has been some progress," coach Pat Quinn said.
"As we said before, he'll play when he's ready and he's not ready."
TRAFFIC COPS WANTED
Quinn was not impressed with the liberties the Philadelphia Flyers took with goalie Ed Belfour during their Eastern Conference quarter-final a year ago.
"They're going to get traffic in front of the net, that's one of their strengths," Quinn said. "Ottawa did the same thing as the last series went on.
"(Those tactics) were a sore point with me last year. If they are not going to call that stuff, I don't really know what's going to happen."
Count on this happening -- Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock will keep sending his forwards into Belfour's face whenever possible.
Leafs forward Alexei Ponikarovsky credits Krusty the Klown and his friends for improving his English this year.
"It comes from watching The Simpsons, Seinfeld, everything," Ponikarovsky said.
You could tell the snoop-sensitive Leafs had arrived in town yesterday. They had security block off normal access routes near their dressing room, inconveniencing Wachovia Center employees who were trying to prepare for the game ... The Leafs and Flyers' regular-season penalty-killing was separated by one-tenth of a percentage point, 83.4% to 83.3%.
MAPLE LEAFS INJURIES
Leg, day to day
Right knee, out indefinitely
- Sesame Street Pokes Fun at Patriots over Deflate-Gate
- EXCLUSIVE: Matt Kemp Dating Amber Rose, Rubs It in Ex Rihanna's Face
- Kobe Bryant Shoulder Injury Update: Out for Remainder of Season
- Incarcerated Cowboys Fan Suing NFL for $88B for Overturned Dez Bryant Catch
- Blake Griffin Jokingly Shoved Trainer's Head Toward His Crotch
- Justin Bieber Endorses Toronto Raptor Kyle Lowry for All-Star Game
- Will Snapchat's News Content Interest Its Young User Base?
- Should This Racy Carl's Jr. Super Bowl Commercial Be Banned?
- 5 Things We Learned from Bill Belichick's Press Conference
- Manny Pacquiao Impressively Does Hilarious Scottish Accent
- WWE Star Triple H Breaks Character to Console Crying Fan
- Patriots' Answers About 'Deflate-Gate' Don't Tell Us Much
- 8 ridiculous Super Bowl XLIX bets
- Ronaldo splits with stunning model
- Milos Raonic might be dating Danielle Knudson
- NHL coaches who got their jobs after in-season change
- Ski jumper a bloody mess after crash
- Must-see shots from Canada's golden performance
- 10 fantastic photos from the Winter Classic
- New Year's resolutions in the sports world
- We are the champions! Canadians who won it all in 2014
- 10 athletes (and 1 coach) we fell in love with in 2014
- Top sports photos of the year
- Great sporting flops of 2014