'BEST DAY' IN NOLAN'S RECOVERY
The two injured Toronto forwards remain on the sidelines, though Owen Nolan looked spry in line rushes during yesterday's morning skate. It's possible he could play late in the Eastern Conference semi-final as his right knee ligament damage heals.
"There haven't been huge strides, but (yesterday) was probably my best day," Nolan said. "There's no timetable. It's all about feel."
After two days of skating, possibly as a ruse to the Ottawa Senators to distract them in Game 7, Maple Leafs captain Mats Sundin was not in the morning workout to test his left leg muscle injury.
"There has been some progress," coach Pat Quinn said.
"As we said before, he'll play when he's ready and he's not ready."
TRAFFIC COPS WANTED
Quinn was not impressed with the liberties the Philadelphia Flyers took with goalie Ed Belfour during their Eastern Conference quarter-final a year ago.
"They're going to get traffic in front of the net, that's one of their strengths," Quinn said. "Ottawa did the same thing as the last series went on.
"(Those tactics) were a sore point with me last year. If they are not going to call that stuff, I don't really know what's going to happen."
Count on this happening -- Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock will keep sending his forwards into Belfour's face whenever possible.
Leafs forward Alexei Ponikarovsky credits Krusty the Klown and his friends for improving his English this year.
"It comes from watching The Simpsons, Seinfeld, everything," Ponikarovsky said.
You could tell the snoop-sensitive Leafs had arrived in town yesterday. They had security block off normal access routes near their dressing room, inconveniencing Wachovia Center employees who were trying to prepare for the game ... The Leafs and Flyers' regular-season penalty-killing was separated by one-tenth of a percentage point, 83.4% to 83.3%.
MAPLE LEAFS INJURIES
Leg, day to day
Right knee, out indefinitely
- DeMarcus Cousins' Unrealistic Goal: 5 Technical Fouls This Season
- Pedro Martínez Blasts Royals Manager Ned Yost
- Where Does Derek Jeter's Website Fit In Ever-Changing Media?
- Bill Belichick Scoffs at Reporter For Tom Brady QB Controversy Question
- Lions' Joseph Fauria Injures Ankle Stopping Puppy From Peeing
- Michael Phelps DUI: Michael Phelps Went On 8-Hour Gambling Binge
- Kobe Bryant Destroys Nick Young, Calls Iggy Azalea More Successful
- Michigan Campus Outraged At Football Concussion Controversy
- Drunk Stripper Heather McCartney Arrested at AFL Grand Final Match for Getting Naked
- Man Knocked Out with One Punch During Notre Dame-Syracuse Fan Fight
- NFL's 'Blackout Rule' Is Gone, But Was It Already Obsolete?
- LeBron James' Hairline Disappeared Again
- Breaking down the NHL's Eastern Conference
- Trade Watch: These NHLers could move before the deadline
- Top 10 storylines of the 2014-15 NHL season
- Best and worst sporting goodbyes
- Paulina Gretzky Instagram photos
- The top 50 NHL players for 2014
- Gallery: Prominent athletes and high-profile crime
- Oscar Pistorius trial in photos
- How many points will your NHL team finish with?
- Randle the Handle's NFL Week 1 predictions
- AFC - Randall the Handle's team-by-team breakdown
- Top NFL quarterbacks and pass catchers in 2014