'BEST DAY' IN NOLAN'S RECOVERY
The two injured Toronto forwards remain on the sidelines, though Owen Nolan looked spry in line rushes during yesterday's morning skate. It's possible he could play late in the Eastern Conference semi-final as his right knee ligament damage heals.
"There haven't been huge strides, but (yesterday) was probably my best day," Nolan said. "There's no timetable. It's all about feel."
After two days of skating, possibly as a ruse to the Ottawa Senators to distract them in Game 7, Maple Leafs captain Mats Sundin was not in the morning workout to test his left leg muscle injury.
"There has been some progress," coach Pat Quinn said.
"As we said before, he'll play when he's ready and he's not ready."
TRAFFIC COPS WANTED
Quinn was not impressed with the liberties the Philadelphia Flyers took with goalie Ed Belfour during their Eastern Conference quarter-final a year ago.
"They're going to get traffic in front of the net, that's one of their strengths," Quinn said. "Ottawa did the same thing as the last series went on.
"(Those tactics) were a sore point with me last year. If they are not going to call that stuff, I don't really know what's going to happen."
Count on this happening -- Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock will keep sending his forwards into Belfour's face whenever possible.
Leafs forward Alexei Ponikarovsky credits Krusty the Klown and his friends for improving his English this year.
"It comes from watching The Simpsons, Seinfeld, everything," Ponikarovsky said.
You could tell the snoop-sensitive Leafs had arrived in town yesterday. They had security block off normal access routes near their dressing room, inconveniencing Wachovia Center employees who were trying to prepare for the game ... The Leafs and Flyers' regular-season penalty-killing was separated by one-tenth of a percentage point, 83.4% to 83.3%.
MAPLE LEAFS INJURIES
Leg, day to day
Right knee, out indefinitely
- Over the Line?! - Manziel middle finger, Mr. Man U, and one cold mullet
- Under Armour Offers Kevin Durant $285M Shoe Contract
- Cubs Ground Crew Fail Horribly Trying to Get Tarp on Field
- Watch as Angels' Garrett Richards Suffers Nasty Knee Injury
- Canadian Women's Open tees off
- James Harden Says He's the Best Player In NBA
- Erin Andrews' Biggest Regret From Epic Richard Sherman Interview
- Fight Breaks Out at Buffalo Bills Training Camp Practice
- See New Mansion Alex Rodriguez Bought from Meryl Streep
- Double trampoline basketball trick shot
- Serena Williams Teaches David Letterman New Tricks
- ALS Ice Bucket Challenge And Sports Are Deeply Connected
- Check out Brandon Marshall's Florida mansion
- SI Swimsuit models complete Ice Bucket Challenge
- Alouettes QB coach Jeff Garcia lists estate for $7.75 million
- WWE wrestlers and UFC fighters turned actors
- Brian Gionta selling Montreal-area home for $1.45 million
- Bouchard ... and 7 other shocking Canadian losses
- Extreme shot put facial expressions at Commonwealth Games
- 20 exceptional Commonwealth Games photos
- Roger Federer plays tennis with Lindsey Vonn on glacier
- Germany gets goofy, as the World Cup comes home
- Rihanna, family celebrate with World Cup champions
- The World Cup final, captured in 37 photos