'BEST DAY' IN NOLAN'S RECOVERY
The two injured Toronto forwards remain on the sidelines, though Owen Nolan looked spry in line rushes during yesterday's morning skate. It's possible he could play late in the Eastern Conference semi-final as his right knee ligament damage heals.
"There haven't been huge strides, but (yesterday) was probably my best day," Nolan said. "There's no timetable. It's all about feel."
After two days of skating, possibly as a ruse to the Ottawa Senators to distract them in Game 7, Maple Leafs captain Mats Sundin was not in the morning workout to test his left leg muscle injury.
"There has been some progress," coach Pat Quinn said.
"As we said before, he'll play when he's ready and he's not ready."
TRAFFIC COPS WANTED
Quinn was not impressed with the liberties the Philadelphia Flyers took with goalie Ed Belfour during their Eastern Conference quarter-final a year ago.
"They're going to get traffic in front of the net, that's one of their strengths," Quinn said. "Ottawa did the same thing as the last series went on.
"(Those tactics) were a sore point with me last year. If they are not going to call that stuff, I don't really know what's going to happen."
Count on this happening -- Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock will keep sending his forwards into Belfour's face whenever possible.
Leafs forward Alexei Ponikarovsky credits Krusty the Klown and his friends for improving his English this year.
"It comes from watching The Simpsons, Seinfeld, everything," Ponikarovsky said.
You could tell the snoop-sensitive Leafs had arrived in town yesterday. They had security block off normal access routes near their dressing room, inconveniencing Wachovia Center employees who were trying to prepare for the game ... The Leafs and Flyers' regular-season penalty-killing was separated by one-tenth of a percentage point, 83.4% to 83.3%.
MAPLE LEAFS INJURIES
Leg, day to day
Right knee, out indefinitely
- For Puck Sakes! Ep.01
- Ex-Raiders Cheerleader -- RIPS RAIDERETTE LAWSUIT ... They're Bitter Liars
- Ariz. Cardinals Jonathan Dwyer Latest In NFL Player Arrests
- Jameis Winston Yells 'F-ck Her Right in the P--y', Gets Suspended
- Dwight Howard Has Run 10 Red Lights in Two-Plus Years
- Adrian Peterson Was Abused By HS Coach, Coach Admits
- Ottawa Fury Sign Jamaican defender O'Brian Woodbine
- Jameis Winston Suspended For First Half Of Conference Opener
- LeBron James Got Hair Plugs, Debuts Fuller Hairline at LeBron 12 Launch
- Adam Jones Pies Teammates - Fans After Orioles Win AL East Title
- Lolo Jones 'Dancing with the Stars' Debut, Voted Off After Cha Cha Dance
- Orioles' Chris Davis Helps Lift Truck off Man
- The top 50 NHL players for 2014
- Gallery: Prominent athletes and high-profile crime
- Oscar Pistorius trial in photos
- How many points will your NHL team finish with?
- Randle the Handle's NFL Week 1 predictions
- AFC - Randall the Handle's team-by-team breakdown
- Top NFL quarterbacks and pass catchers in 2014
- NFC - Randall the Handle's team-by-team breakdown
- Professional athletes' high school photos
- Pro athletes that look like they could go back to school
- Check out Brandon Marshall's Florida mansion
- SI Swimsuit models complete Ice Bucket Challenge