Hulking Flames left-winger Chris Simon isn't sure if he'll be lacing 'em up for tonight's Game 3 battle with the Detroit Red Wings.
He's walking with less of a limp after apparently spraining his knee in Game 3 of the Flames' first-round series against Vancouver. He was examined by team doctors yesterday. It's a suspected sprain that's kept him out for the last 15 days.
DION DENIED: The Flames' decimated defence will not be receiving re-enforcements from just up Hwy. 2.
Flames coach Darryl Sutter yesterday dismissed the notion of bringing 2003 first-round draft pick Dion Phaneuf into the fold.
Phaneuf, who has not signed an NHL contract, and the Red Deer Rebels ended their WHL season Sunday, bowing out in six games to the Medicine Hat Tigers.
"Do you think you get on the phone and, in two minutes, you sign a player?" Sutter asked members of the media.
"It might take three months.
"You're talking about a boy who turned 19 last week.
"I'm proud of what he accomplished this year and the steps he's made. He's going to be a pretty good player."
PROUD POP: Flames defenceman Jordan Leopold was absent from yesterday's practice for good reason.
His wife, Jamie, gave birth to a baby girl late Sunday night and the Leopolds have named her Jordyn Marie after her star hockey father.
Flames winger Shean Donovan and wife Teresa gave birth to baby Jorian just two days before the start of these playoffs.
The next dad-in-waiting among folk of the 'Dome is TSN's reporter Jermain Franklin, whose wife Andrea is due this week.
EVANS ON ICE?: Welcome to Calgary, Brennan Evans. Is there anything we can do to make your stay more memorable?
An NHL debut could be arranged, depending on the status of Flames rearguard Rhett Warrener, who sustained an eye injury Saturday in Detroit.
Warrener expects to play tonight.
If not, however, Evans could receive his first major-league hockey start.
"I'd like to be in there," said the 22-year-old, who played all of last season with the Lowell Lock Monsters of the AHL.
"I don't think anybody wouldn't want to be in the lineup for a playoff game in the NHL. My nerves would be there. But once I got a shift or two under me, I think I'd be fine.
"I'm pretty excited about it already. I want to get out there if I get called on and I'll try and contribute and do my best."
It's been quite a whirlwind already for Evans, who was called into Calgary last Monday after the Flames lost defenceman Denis Gauthier to a knee injury. The Camrose native promptly joined the team and hit the road to Detroit with the Flames.
"It's awesome. This whole city has just been bananas," Evans said. "It's a great feeling just to be here. To be part of it and travelling with the team and be around the guys, it's great.
"You grow up watching these guys. (Jarome) Iginla's one of the best players in the world and I'm here talking to him on the ice during practice and seen having lunch with him."
- Khloe Kardashian and Lamar Odom's Divorce May be Auto-Dismissed
- Maple Leafs fans sing US anthem after tech glitch
- All about them Leafs
- Justin Timberlake Owns Fan on Twitter For 'Bandwagon' Comment
- Justin Bieber's Childhood Home Listed For Affordable $279K
- Over the Line?! -Luongo pranks Kim K, sexy sailorette, and a beer scandal
- Amanda Seyfried, Taylor Swift And Kate Upton Hit The Knicks games
- Menzoid vs. jersey sponsorship
- Noureen DeWulf says Charlie Sheen was delighted by her pregnancy but is chatting to an unborn weird?
- Launch Control 2.14: Season Finale
- Denise Richards - Charlie Sheen Spotted Together
- Kendra Wilkinson Confirms That She is Single
- Ottawa Senators add teen Jonathan Pitre to scouting staff
- 10 former NHLers eligible for '15 Hockey Hall of Fame
- Jason Collins and 11 other prominent gay athletes
- Ibrahimovic, Cahill, van Persie on shortlist for FIFA's annual best goal award
- Vancouver's Green Men top list of the most famous incidents involving hockey fans
- 20 of the coolest NHL goalie masks this season
- Porn stars linked to professional sports stars
- MLB team-by-team biggest disappointments
- Scary Sports? Athletes show off their Halloween costumes
- Giants fans take to streets after World Series win
- 20 of the weirdest off-field athlete injuries
- Beijing marathoners forced to battle immense smog