Hulking Flames left-winger Chris Simon isn't sure if he'll be lacing 'em up for tonight's Game 3 battle with the Detroit Red Wings.
He's walking with less of a limp after apparently spraining his knee in Game 3 of the Flames' first-round series against Vancouver. He was examined by team doctors yesterday. It's a suspected sprain that's kept him out for the last 15 days.
DION DENIED: The Flames' decimated defence will not be receiving re-enforcements from just up Hwy. 2.
Flames coach Darryl Sutter yesterday dismissed the notion of bringing 2003 first-round draft pick Dion Phaneuf into the fold.
Phaneuf, who has not signed an NHL contract, and the Red Deer Rebels ended their WHL season Sunday, bowing out in six games to the Medicine Hat Tigers.
"Do you think you get on the phone and, in two minutes, you sign a player?" Sutter asked members of the media.
"It might take three months.
"You're talking about a boy who turned 19 last week.
"I'm proud of what he accomplished this year and the steps he's made. He's going to be a pretty good player."
PROUD POP: Flames defenceman Jordan Leopold was absent from yesterday's practice for good reason.
His wife, Jamie, gave birth to a baby girl late Sunday night and the Leopolds have named her Jordyn Marie after her star hockey father.
Flames winger Shean Donovan and wife Teresa gave birth to baby Jorian just two days before the start of these playoffs.
The next dad-in-waiting among folk of the 'Dome is TSN's reporter Jermain Franklin, whose wife Andrea is due this week.
EVANS ON ICE?: Welcome to Calgary, Brennan Evans. Is there anything we can do to make your stay more memorable?
An NHL debut could be arranged, depending on the status of Flames rearguard Rhett Warrener, who sustained an eye injury Saturday in Detroit.
Warrener expects to play tonight.
If not, however, Evans could receive his first major-league hockey start.
"I'd like to be in there," said the 22-year-old, who played all of last season with the Lowell Lock Monsters of the AHL.
"I don't think anybody wouldn't want to be in the lineup for a playoff game in the NHL. My nerves would be there. But once I got a shift or two under me, I think I'd be fine.
"I'm pretty excited about it already. I want to get out there if I get called on and I'll try and contribute and do my best."
It's been quite a whirlwind already for Evans, who was called into Calgary last Monday after the Flames lost defenceman Denis Gauthier to a knee injury. The Camrose native promptly joined the team and hit the road to Detroit with the Flames.
"It's awesome. This whole city has just been bananas," Evans said. "It's a great feeling just to be here. To be part of it and travelling with the team and be around the guys, it's great.
"You grow up watching these guys. (Jarome) Iginla's one of the best players in the world and I'm here talking to him on the ice during practice and seen having lunch with him."
- Kobe Wanted to Play with Michael Jordan in Washington
- JJ Watt Steals the Show at Pro Bowl
- Glen 'Big Baby' Davis Falls out of Bounds, Sits on Woman's Face
- Kevin Durant Throws Down Monster Dunk Against Cavs, Taunts LeBron James
- Manny Pacquiao Asks Miss USA Strange Question
- Brent Grimes Makes Awesome Interception at Pro Bowl
- Odell Beckham Jr. Making One-Handed Catches during Warm-Ups at Pro Bowl
- Screen Stars Steal The Show At The Producers Guild Of America Awards
- NFL, Google Deal Will Bring Official Highlights To YouTube
- Sesame Street Pokes Fun at Patriots over Deflate-Gate
- EXCLUSIVE: Matt Kemp Dating Amber Rose, Rubs It in Ex Rihanna's Face
- Kobe Bryant Shoulder Injury Update: Out for Remainder of Season
- 8 ridiculous Super Bowl XLIX bets
- Ronaldo splits with stunning model
- Milos Raonic might be dating Danielle Knudson
- NHL coaches who got their jobs after in-season change
- Ski jumper a bloody mess after crash
- Must-see shots from Canada's golden performance
- 10 fantastic photos from the Winter Classic
- New Year's resolutions in the sports world
- We are the champions! Canadians who won it all in 2014
- 10 athletes (and 1 coach) we fell in love with in 2014
- Top sports photos of the year
- Great sporting flops of 2014