FORMER MAPLE LEAFS GREAT DIES AT 78
Former Maple Leafs captain Sid Smith, who won three Stanley Cups with the team, died yesterday morning.
He was 78.
Smith played 601 regular-season games for the Leafs at left wing and had 369 points. The two-time Lady Byng Trophy winner retired early from the NHL to coach the Whitby Dunlops to the 1958 world hockey championship.
Leafs coach Pat Quinn noted Smith was a teammate of his favourite player, Teeder Kennedy, and said it was a loss for the entire hockey fraternity.
Philadelphia Flyers forward Jeremy Roenick no doubt raised some hackles in the Leafs dressing room when he noted that Toronto players weren't as brave in Philadelphia in Games 1 and 2 as they were on Wednesday at the Air Canada Centre. Roenick singled out defenceman Bryan McCabe, whom he said did not touch anyone at the Wachovia Center.
"He can say whatever he wants," McCabe said.
"We played hard (Wednesday night). We should expect more of the same (tonight). J.R. is J.R. He's a good guy, good for hockey. He speaks his mind."
Leafs forward Nik Antropov supplied the Flyers with bulletin board fodder yesterday by suggesting the Philly defence can be exploited because it is made up solely of European-born players.
Antropov believes the Leafs can wear out the Flyers blue-line corps with a physical forecheck.
Quinn on using grinders such as Clarke Wilm and Chad Kilger: "You dress 20 guys and you expect to get good minutes out of all of them. Sometimes the grinders are the guys who make the difference at playoff time. Their commitment to defence is often a little better than your higher-end players."
Back, day to day
Hamstring, day to day
Right knee, out indefinitely
- Matthew McConaughey Weighs in on 'Redskins' Debate
- Man BASE jumps into rooftop pool
- Lorde's Song 'Royals' Banned From San Francisco Radio During World Series
- Rookie Lazar Moving in to Chez Phillips
- Air Force Captain proposes to cheerleader during NFL game
- Paul Rudd Invites Royals Fans To Keg Party At His Mom's
- Embattled Coyotes find a buyer
- CFL and the Toronto Argonauts
- Katy Perry Will Play The Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Over the Line?! - Penis punch, creepy mascots and one great speech
- Floyd Mayweather -- I'm Gonna Train Michael Jackson's Son ... To Fight!
- Ex-NFL Star Seth Joyner -- EXPLODES ON YOUTH FOOTBALL TEAM ... Tough Love or Too Far?
- Beijing marathoners forced to battle immense smog
- 17 exceptional photos from the first 17 NHL games
- Bee freaks out American gymnast Simone Biles
- Oilers '84: Where are they now?
- Yashin in: NHL players paid to go away
- LeBron James' $17M Miami waterfront mansion up for sale
- Breaking down the NHL's Western Conference
- Breaking down the NHL's Eastern Conference
- Trade Watch: These NHLers could move before the deadline
- Top 10 storylines of the 2014-15 NHL season
- Best and worst sporting goodbyes
- Paulina Gretzky Instagram photos