FORMER MAPLE LEAFS GREAT DIES AT 78
Former Maple Leafs captain Sid Smith, who won three Stanley Cups with the team, died yesterday morning.
He was 78.
Smith played 601 regular-season games for the Leafs at left wing and had 369 points. The two-time Lady Byng Trophy winner retired early from the NHL to coach the Whitby Dunlops to the 1958 world hockey championship.
Leafs coach Pat Quinn noted Smith was a teammate of his favourite player, Teeder Kennedy, and said it was a loss for the entire hockey fraternity.
Philadelphia Flyers forward Jeremy Roenick no doubt raised some hackles in the Leafs dressing room when he noted that Toronto players weren't as brave in Philadelphia in Games 1 and 2 as they were on Wednesday at the Air Canada Centre. Roenick singled out defenceman Bryan McCabe, whom he said did not touch anyone at the Wachovia Center.
"He can say whatever he wants," McCabe said.
"We played hard (Wednesday night). We should expect more of the same (tonight). J.R. is J.R. He's a good guy, good for hockey. He speaks his mind."
Leafs forward Nik Antropov supplied the Flyers with bulletin board fodder yesterday by suggesting the Philly defence can be exploited because it is made up solely of European-born players.
Antropov believes the Leafs can wear out the Flyers blue-line corps with a physical forecheck.
Quinn on using grinders such as Clarke Wilm and Chad Kilger: "You dress 20 guys and you expect to get good minutes out of all of them. Sometimes the grinders are the guys who make the difference at playoff time. Their commitment to defence is often a little better than your higher-end players."
Back, day to day
Hamstring, day to day
Right knee, out indefinitely
- Barry Bonds Returns To SF Giants, Causes Media Stir
- Oscar Pistorius Vomits During Autopsy Testimony
- Aaron Rodgers' Doppelganger Looks Exactly Like Him
- LeBron James Says He Hates Sleeved Jerseys
- Hulk Hogan's Message to CM Punk
- Slater to play on line with Byfuglien and Wheeler
- Highlights from Los Angeles Lakers Record Loss
- LeBron James Kicked In Face In Chicago
- UFC Fighter Thiago Silva Cleared to Fight Again
- Dennis Rodman Says He Regrets North Korea Trip
- Strombo a sports guy?
- Jennifer Aniston Would Like To Have Gisele's Body for 24 Hours
- 25 dazzling photos from Spring Training
- 10 biggest names that moved on NHL Trade deadline
- 10 last-minute NHL trade deadline targets
- 2 outdoor games, 20 gorgeous photos
- From top spot to urban rot, Olympic venue legacy varies
- Spring training facial hair in mid-season form
- Sidney Crosby, Carey Price highlight NHL all-star fan vote
- Rain, tornado warning halts Daytona 500 after 38 laps
- 12 prominent gay athletes
- Barbegazi Winter Action Sports Festival
- 30 Winter Olympic hotties
- Roberto Alomar selling Tampa mansion for $6.55 million