FORMER MAPLE LEAFS GREAT DIES AT 78
Former Maple Leafs captain Sid Smith, who won three Stanley Cups with the team, died yesterday morning.
He was 78.
Smith played 601 regular-season games for the Leafs at left wing and had 369 points. The two-time Lady Byng Trophy winner retired early from the NHL to coach the Whitby Dunlops to the 1958 world hockey championship.
Leafs coach Pat Quinn noted Smith was a teammate of his favourite player, Teeder Kennedy, and said it was a loss for the entire hockey fraternity.
Philadelphia Flyers forward Jeremy Roenick no doubt raised some hackles in the Leafs dressing room when he noted that Toronto players weren't as brave in Philadelphia in Games 1 and 2 as they were on Wednesday at the Air Canada Centre. Roenick singled out defenceman Bryan McCabe, whom he said did not touch anyone at the Wachovia Center.
"He can say whatever he wants," McCabe said.
"We played hard (Wednesday night). We should expect more of the same (tonight). J.R. is J.R. He's a good guy, good for hockey. He speaks his mind."
Leafs forward Nik Antropov supplied the Flyers with bulletin board fodder yesterday by suggesting the Philly defence can be exploited because it is made up solely of European-born players.
Antropov believes the Leafs can wear out the Flyers blue-line corps with a physical forecheck.
Quinn on using grinders such as Clarke Wilm and Chad Kilger: "You dress 20 guys and you expect to get good minutes out of all of them. Sometimes the grinders are the guys who make the difference at playoff time. Their commitment to defence is often a little better than your higher-end players."
Back, day to day
Hamstring, day to day
Right knee, out indefinitely
- Shaquille O'Neal's Hilarious LinkedIn Profile
- Paulina Gretzky's Sexiest Pics
- Shaquille O'Neal Fighting in the UFC?
- Drake Using Lint Roller During Nets-Raptors Game
- Fan Texts Cost Buffalo Bills Nearly $3 Million
- Alex Rodriguez Still Making Money Without Yankees Check
- Matt Harvey Flips Bird In Photo
- New Joe Paterno Statue Could Go Up In 2015
- Capitals in waiting game for any changes in management
- Bold predictions for Wizards-Bulls Game 3
- Gregg Popovich's Hilarious Reaction to Manu Ginobili Making Practice After Son's Birth
- Lindsey Vonn 'Close Friends' With Tiger Woods' Ex
- Best, worst comebacks in sporting history
- Best all-time NHL playoff performers
- Annual post-season goalie rankings
- 16 numbers to help make sense of the NHL playoffs
- Check out our top 10 post-season moments
- Wayne Gretzky selling California mansion
- Here are 15 pro wrestlers we lost too soon
- Introducing the should-be NHL award finalists
- 25 dazzling photos from Spring Training
- 10 biggest names that moved on NHL Trade deadline
- 10 last-minute NHL trade deadline targets
- 2 outdoor games, 20 gorgeous photos