FORMER MAPLE LEAFS GREAT DIES AT 78
Former Maple Leafs captain Sid Smith, who won three Stanley Cups with the team, died yesterday morning.
He was 78.
Smith played 601 regular-season games for the Leafs at left wing and had 369 points. The two-time Lady Byng Trophy winner retired early from the NHL to coach the Whitby Dunlops to the 1958 world hockey championship.
Leafs coach Pat Quinn noted Smith was a teammate of his favourite player, Teeder Kennedy, and said it was a loss for the entire hockey fraternity.
Philadelphia Flyers forward Jeremy Roenick no doubt raised some hackles in the Leafs dressing room when he noted that Toronto players weren't as brave in Philadelphia in Games 1 and 2 as they were on Wednesday at the Air Canada Centre. Roenick singled out defenceman Bryan McCabe, whom he said did not touch anyone at the Wachovia Center.
"He can say whatever he wants," McCabe said.
"We played hard (Wednesday night). We should expect more of the same (tonight). J.R. is J.R. He's a good guy, good for hockey. He speaks his mind."
Leafs forward Nik Antropov supplied the Flyers with bulletin board fodder yesterday by suggesting the Philly defence can be exploited because it is made up solely of European-born players.
Antropov believes the Leafs can wear out the Flyers blue-line corps with a physical forecheck.
Quinn on using grinders such as Clarke Wilm and Chad Kilger: "You dress 20 guys and you expect to get good minutes out of all of them. Sometimes the grinders are the guys who make the difference at playoff time. Their commitment to defence is often a little better than your higher-end players."
Back, day to day
Hamstring, day to day
Right knee, out indefinitely
- Hammond leaves CTC limping
- Kentucky's Marcus Lee Dunks on His Own Teammate
- Serena Williams' Remake of Beyonce's '7/11' Video Is Awesome
- Odell Beckham Jr. Throwing Down Crazy Dunks at ASU
- George Hill Hits Game-Winner to Sink the Wizards
- Over The Line?! -- Death in the ring, McDavid's drinka nd more
- Caroline Wozniacki Gives First In-Depth Interview About Rory McIlroy Breakup
- Jimmy Kimmel Hilariously Tests People's March Madness Knowledge
- Wisconsin's Nigel Hayes' Embarassing Whisper Caught During Press Conference
- Tim Duncan Wins $100 Bet For Rare 3-Pointer in Spurs' Win Over Thunder
- Why The NHL's Concussion Problem Is Overshadowed
- Don't be 'that' sports parent | On Parenting
- Pundits blasted for commenting on anchor's boobs
- Trying out for Argos cheerleading squad
- Cheerleaders, mascots and fans of March Madness
- Will Ferrell sets MLB 'record' at spring training
- PHOTOS: Bouchard, Bieber a couple on the tennis court
- ZEISBERGER: A question for all 30 NHL teams down the stretch
- Mike Zeisberger's 2015 trade deadline primer
- Winnipeg Jets' top 10 trades of all time
- Danielle Knudson is dating Milos Raonic
- Rugby fans dress up for the New Zealand Sevens
- Been there, done that - meet A-Rod's exes
- The Covers: 50 years of SI's swimsuit issue