NHL OK WITH NIK?
As of yesterday, the Maple Leafs had not been informed of any National Hockey League plan to discipline Nik Antropov for a Game 5 cross-check to the back of Flyers' Jeremy Roenick. Antropov was responding to a Roenick hit he considered to be aimed at his head.
"We'll see," Antropov said of his actions. "You have to look at what he (Roenick) did first."
Winger Wade Belak said the Leafs shouldn't get too carried away with the final score in Game 5. The seven goals against were the most since April 29, 1993, when Detroit lit up Felix Potvin seven times, though the Leafs responded with a Game 7 win.
"The score doesn't matter, the bottom line is that we lost," Belak said. "It seems like when it rains it pours when you play like that against them. But once we left the rink and got on the plane, we tried to put it behind us.
"We had just 11 shots, but in our last two home games, we shot the puck and we scored."
The Flyers combined record against the Leafs since Game 7 of last year's final now stands at 7-3, out-scoring Toronto 37-17.
LIFE OF BRIANS
Less than 24 hours after the Blowout on Broad St., Brian Leetch still was taking his share of the blame for the Leafs embarrassing 7-2 loss Sunday.
While the popular choice to be fitted for goat horns was Bryan McCabe, Leetch's defence partner, it should be pointed out that Leetch finished minus-four himself.
"I'm sure I've had lots of nights like that but I've forgotten them all," he said. "You have to.
"Bryan and I know we can play better. And we're going to. There were plays to be made, but our positioning has to be more sound.
"He's a great player.Usually we feed off each other out there but it seemed whatever we attempted out there, backfired.
On the bright side, Leetch was tied for the league power-play assist lead in the post-season with four heading into play last night.
MAPLE LEAFS INJURIES
Knee. Out indefinitely, might require surgery.
Hamstring. Out indefinitely, might be out for months
Knee. Out indefinitely, continues to show progress.
- Justin Verlander Complains about Uber Prices
- Reggie Miller Would Take Jordan on His Worst Day Over Kobe on His Best
- Michael Phelps Pleads Guilty to DUI
- Does Jay Cutler's Benching Mean QB's End with Bears?
- Tom Brady's Teammates Are Terrified of His Touchdown Celebrations
- Should athletes speak out?
- Forces Friday: Remembering the Christmas truce
- Two Buzzer-Beaters During Spurs-Grizzlies Game
- Deion Sanders' Ex-Wife Jailed, Loses Rights to See Kids
- Pilar Sanders Sentenced to Jail Time for Violating Custody Agreement
- LeBron James' Crossover Drops Thabo Sefolosha to the Floor
- NHL Player with Mumps Might Have Given It to Sick Children
- Tongue-in-cheek sports predictions for 2015
- Remembering sports figures who died in 2014
- Jean Beliveau's funeral in Montreal
- Athletes behaving badly: Arrests of 2014
- Prince William and Kate Middleton take in NBA game
- Tumbling trophies and crashing crystal: Broken sports awards
- Every photo you'll ever need from 102nd Grey Cup
- Photos: A Grey Cup Cheerleader Extravaganza
- Top 10 Grey Cup players to watch
- 10 intriguing Grey Cup bets
- Forbes releases 'The NHL's Best Fans' rankings
- Photos: Pat Quinn through the years