While Bryan McCabe's brain cramps are not expected to keep him out of the lineup for Game 6 tonight, defenceman Ken Klee will be sidelined because of a knee injury suffered in Sunday's 7-2 loss to the Flyers.
Maple Leafs coach Pat Quinn said yesterday that Klee, who has averaged almost 19 minutes of ice time in the post-season, may have to undergo surgery.
One of the team's most dependable defensive defencemen, Klee had been paired with Tomas Kaberle and his place tonight likely will be taken by Karel Pilar, who has not seen action in the playoffs.
Pilar played in 50 games during the regular season, scoring two goals and adding 17 assists. He was developing into a solid two-way defenceman last season when a serious heart ailment sidelined him for 45 games. The native of Prague has recovered, but the mysterious illness slowed his progress.
When asked why he was leaning towards playing Pilar instead of Calle Johannson or Drake Berehowsky, an agitated Quinn replied: "It's the coach's choice, I guess."
"I'm pretty excited," Pilar said following yesterday's practice at the Air Canada Centre. "We've been skating with (assistant coach) Keith Acton a lot (after practice) and I'm in good shape and ready to go."
Pilar said he will not attempt to play over his head tonight, but stick to what he knows best, moving the puck out of his zone quickly, with precision, and adding on offence when needed.
"I can match the physical play," Pilar said of defending against the rough and tough Flyers forwards. "I'm going to try to move the puck, make simple plays, like I played before."
"Kenny is a big part of our team, but that's why (we) added depth at the deadline," McCabe said. "We've got to get right back at it. We're at our best when we play ugly and play simple."
- Craig Sager Reportedly Undergoing Treatment For Leukemia
- Golfer Attacked By Hornets
- Best Skateboarding Tricks of All Time
- New Dating Website for Green Bay Packers Fans
- Craig Sager Diagnosed With Leukemia
- Derrick Rose Trolled By Action Figure
- Donovan McNabb Jailed After 2013 Arrest
- Manny Pacquiao Takes His Entourage on Shopping Spree
- Secret Service Threatened to Shoot Mets Mascot
- WWE Fires Back at Nancy Grace
- Project North
- Porsha Willams Turns Herself In to Police
- Best all-time NHL playoff performers
- Annual post-season goalie rankings
- 16 numbers to help make sense of the NHL playoffs
- Check out our top 10 post-season moments
- Wayne Gretzky selling California mansion
- Here are 15 pro wrestlers we lost too soon
- Introducing the should-be NHL award finalists
- 25 dazzling photos from Spring Training
- 10 biggest names that moved on NHL Trade deadline
- 10 last-minute NHL trade deadline targets
- 2 outdoor games, 20 gorgeous photos
- From top spot to urban rot, Olympic venue legacy varies