While Bryan McCabe's brain cramps are not expected to keep him out of the lineup for Game 6 tonight, defenceman Ken Klee will be sidelined because of a knee injury suffered in Sunday's 7-2 loss to the Flyers.
Maple Leafs coach Pat Quinn said yesterday that Klee, who has averaged almost 19 minutes of ice time in the post-season, may have to undergo surgery.
One of the team's most dependable defensive defencemen, Klee had been paired with Tomas Kaberle and his place tonight likely will be taken by Karel Pilar, who has not seen action in the playoffs.
Pilar played in 50 games during the regular season, scoring two goals and adding 17 assists. He was developing into a solid two-way defenceman last season when a serious heart ailment sidelined him for 45 games. The native of Prague has recovered, but the mysterious illness slowed his progress.
When asked why he was leaning towards playing Pilar instead of Calle Johannson or Drake Berehowsky, an agitated Quinn replied: "It's the coach's choice, I guess."
"I'm pretty excited," Pilar said following yesterday's practice at the Air Canada Centre. "We've been skating with (assistant coach) Keith Acton a lot (after practice) and I'm in good shape and ready to go."
Pilar said he will not attempt to play over his head tonight, but stick to what he knows best, moving the puck out of his zone quickly, with precision, and adding on offence when needed.
"I can match the physical play," Pilar said of defending against the rough and tough Flyers forwards. "I'm going to try to move the puck, make simple plays, like I played before."
"Kenny is a big part of our team, but that's why (we) added depth at the deadline," McCabe said. "We've got to get right back at it. We're at our best when we play ugly and play simple."
- Johnny Gaudreau surprises Blackfoot Atom Chiefs
- 6 Super Bowl Commercials to Look out For
- Celebrities Hilariously Take Blame for Deflategate on Jimmy Kimmel
- Odell Beckham Jr. Makes 33 1-Handed Catches in 1 Minute, Sets World Record
- 3 Time Boston Marathon Winner Rita Jeptoo Receives 2 Year Ban for Doping
- Tom Brady Says His Children Are Not Football Fans
- Katy Perry Steals the Show at Super Bowl Media Day
- Super Bowl ads leak online
- 2015 Super Bowl showdown
- David Beckham Turns His Attention to Basketball At The Lakers Game
- Media Slams Josh Gordon's Open Letter About Media Critiques
- Iraq, Syria Play Small Parts In Human Rights Abuses Report
- Check out these hot SI Swimsuit covers
- What are the chances your team makes the playoffs?
- 8 ridiculous Super Bowl XLIX bets
- Ronaldo splits with stunning model
- Milos Raonic might be dating Danielle Knudson
- NHL coaches who got their jobs after in-season change
- Ski jumper a bloody mess after crash
- Must-see shots from Canada's golden performance
- 10 fantastic photos from the Winter Classic
- New Year's resolutions in the sports world
- We are the champions! Canadians who won it all in 2014
- 10 athletes (and 1 coach) we fell in love with in 2014