- Sid the Kid was in the starting lineup for the visiting Penguins, but Pittsburgh couldn't get out of its own end.
- On his second shift, Crosby wins the draw against Craig Conroy in his own zone, takes the puck up ice, splits defencemen Jay Bouwmeester and Mark Giordano and tucks the puck behind Flames goalie Miikka Kiprusoff for his 30th goal of the season.
- Third shift: Crosby turns the puck over in his own zone, giving David Moss a chance in the slot, but his shot rings off the post. The rebound went to Craig Conroy, but he ripped it over the net.
Stats: 8 shifts, 6:02 TOI, one goal, one shot, 2-2 in faceoffs
- 12th shift: Crosby battles Olli Jokinen for the puck in the corner, and the Flames centre takes a holding penalty by pulling the Penguins star backwards. With Crosby parked in the crease on the powerplay, a point shot by Sergei Gonchar finds its way through Flames goalie Miikka Kiprusoff after being tipped by Bill Guerin.
- 15th shift: On a powerplay, Crosby works back to the point for a pass and his blast through traffic is gloved by Kiprusoff. As the period is about to end, Crosby pops Mark Giordano.
Stats: 7 shifts, 6:30 TOI, one shot, 5-6 on faceoffs
- 17th shift: Crosby takes a hooking penalty on Dustin Boyd.
- 20th shift: Crosby stays out to win a second straight faceoff.
Stats: 9 shifts, 6:11 TOI, no shots, two penalty minutes, 7-3 on faceoffs.