NASHVILLE ó Hey, Santa.
Hereís a wishlist of 11 things (in honour of Daniel Alfredsson) you might want to give the Senators this Christmas:
1. A mirror for the dressing room. There are a lot of guys who need to look in it (yes, you, Alex Kovalev) and decide if theyíre really doing enough to help this team win.
2. A lot less hospital visits for G Pascal Leclaire. This is a guy who should really wish for health and happiness in 2011. It could save his career.
3. A scoring touch. One of the NHLís lowest-scoring teams needs Jason Spezza, Mike Fisher, Peter Regin, Nick Foligno and Daniel Alfredsson to start scoring goals.
4. Directions to the North Pole for Sergei Gonchar. His game has gone south and his minus-19 rating sounds like the wind-chill factor. Needs to find his own end.
5. Some new kids on the block. Santa, please help GM Bryan Murray find the means to deal for rugged blueliner Kevin Bieksa.
6. A new Santa Ďcapí for Eugene Melnyk. Our owner spends to the salary cap so he deserves a trip to playoffs in the spring.
7. Less naughty and more nice from the players. The Senators are ranked No. 26 on the penalty kill. Itís time they stopped acting up and were good boys.
8. A Blue Christmas for Alex Kovalev. If St. Louis is really going to get an infusion of cash on Jan. 1, they should be able to get Kovy for a box of toys.
9. A contract gift-wrapped for Chris Phillips. The Big Rig has done a lot for the community and wants to finish his career with the Senators. Should be a spot for him.
10. No empty boxes under the tree at Scotiabank Place. Attendance has taken a hit with the team struggling. Staying in the race is important to sell tickets.
11. A Stanley Cup for captain Daniel Alfredsson. He came close in 2007, but as his career winds down at age 38, heís going to need a Miracle on 34th Street.
Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy Holiday season.