Habs prospect Tim Bozon awakens from coma

Kootenay Ice forward Tim Bozon (left) and Brady Brassart of the Calgary Hitmen battle for the puck...

Kootenay Ice forward Tim Bozon (left) and Brady Brassart of the Calgary Hitmen battle for the puck in WHL action at the Scotiabank Saddledome in Calgary, Alberta, on Dec. 30, 2013. (MIKE DREW/QMI Agency)

QMI Agency

, Last Updated: 1:37 PM ET

Montreal Canadiens prospect Tim Bozon has awakened from an induced coma and is trying to speak.

The Saskatoon Health Region says Bozon, a 19-year-old forward with the Kootenay Ice of the WHL, has been moved out of the intensive care unit at Royal University Hospital and his condition is now listed as stable.

“His parents say Tim is awake, moving around in his bed, trying to feed himself and trying to speak,” SHR said in a statement released at the request of Bozon’s family. “They add they are very appreciative of the care he received while in the ICU. While his condition continues to improve, Tim Bozon faces a long recovery.”

Bozon, a third-round pick of the Canadiens in 2012, was admitted to hospital March 1 after the Ice played the Saskatoon Blades. He was diagnosed with meningitis and put into a coma in an effort to reduce the swelling of the membranes around his brain.

Doctors have been slowly waking him in the last few days. He was moved out of the ICU and into a hospital ward over the weekend, the SHR said.

Last week the WHL set up a trust fund to help the Bozon family with medical and rehabilitation costs.

Bozon, the Swiss-born son of former NHLer Philippe Bozon, had 30 goals and 32 assists in 50 games with the Ice this season.


Videos

Photos