The Canadiens signed restricted free agent defenceman P.K. Subban to a two-year contract on Monday, Jan. 28, 2013. (Chantal Poirier/QMI Agency/Files)
The Montreal Canadiens announced the signing of restricted free agent P.K. Subban to a two-year deal on Monday, two days after Habs general manager Marc Bergevin and the third-year defenceman were said to be far apart in contract talks.
Subban's new deal will pay him $2 million in the first year and $3.75 million in the second, according to TVA Sports' Louis Jean.
Following a standout season that saw the blueliner play in all but one of Montreal’s regular season games, Subban had been holding out in an effort to receive the contract he said he deserved after registering seven goals and 29 assists during the 2011-12 season.
On Saturday, the Habs offered Subban a two-year deal worth $2.2 million this season and $2.9 million in 2014, according to RDS.
The Toronto-native reportedly returned to his home over the weekend to review his options with close to 10% of the season already gone.
Subban, who was said to be looking for a long-term deal, likely lost leverage after the Habs rattled off three straight wins to improve to 3-1 following the lockout.