July 8, 2008
NHL muzzles Lowe, Burke
By ROBERT TYCHKOWSKI -- Sun Media
Kevin Lowe apparently gets the last word in his bitter feud with Anaheim general manager Brian Burke.
It was fun while it lasted, but the verbal warfare between Edmonton and Anaheim appears to be over.
At least the public part of it.
Lowe and Burke still dislike each other, but NHL commissioner Gary Bettman hauled both GMs on the long-distance carpet yesterday and ordered an immediate end to the hostilities.
The commissioner told both parties that the public bickering and name-calling is getting old and isn't good for the league's image and said there would be consequences for whoever lobs the next verbal hand grenade.
Burke had been attacking Lowe repeatedly since the day Edmonton signed Dustin Penner to an offer sheet last summer. He fired two more shots in the last week.
The Oilers were getting tired of it and tried for months to get the NHL to rein in Burke.
Finally, Lowe took matters into his own hands, jabbing him in a radio spot and then really taking the gloves off in an interview with the Edmonton Sun. Lowe said Burke was jealous of the fact he couldn't play in the NHL, he called Anaheim a terrible market and said he wanted to kick the crap out of Burke after the most recent shots.
The blistering counter punches dropped jaws from Edmonton to Anaheim, and apparently New York, too, because Bettman ordered a conference call with Lowe and Burke and ordered them to cease and desist.
A spokesman for the Ducks said that no fines were handed down, and that Burke would not be available for comment on the subject.
The Oilers issued a statement saying: "We will not be commenting any further on this situation. As far as we are concerned, this matter is now closed."